Sponsored

3.6 Will be Fine for Me!

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
Still want a 5.7, but the 3.6 is adequate, I look forward to better gearing in he 8-speed, and a better MT in the NSG replacement as well to add a little more to the 3.6’s adequacy.
Sponsored

OP
OP
DanW

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Still want a 5.7, but the 3.6 is adequate, I look forward to better gearing in he 8-speed, and a better MT in the NSG replacement as well to add a little more to the 3.6’s adequacy.
Yep, plus the 14% torque boost from 1k to 3k rpms that we expect from the updated 3.6. Maybe they'll surprise us and do a little better than that. I doubt it, but hey, you never know, right?

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The working theory is that 4.10 gears are standard with the standard manual transmission but that the auto gets 3.73's. There was no option when ordering to account for 4.10 gears, and it isn't included in any of the packages either.
That’s not really a working theory, that’s just treating the JK(U)’s default options as JL(U)’s default options.

No one knows for sure, and the rational for the 3.73 on the auto and 4.10 on the manual in previous JK variants would be the reverse on the JL.

It makes little sense to limit it when they can charge people money for the option, which was still available on the JK(U)s. That it wasn’t on the early Order Bank list doesn’t mean it won’t be offered either.

OP
OP
DanW

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
That’s not really a working theory, that’s just treating the JK(U)’s default options as JL(U)’s default options.

No one knows for sure, and the rational for the 3.73 on the auto and 4.10 on the manual in previous JK variants would be the reverse on the JL.

It makes little sense to limit it when they can charge people money for the option, which was still available on the JK(U)s. That it wasn’t on the early Order Bank list doesn’t mean it won’t be offered either.
I think the fact 33's are offered on the JLR as standard makes a good case for 4.10's being standard on both the manual and the auto. We'll see maybe in a few hours.

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Looks like the Auto atic gets the 4.10 also accorcing to this from the Spec Launch info;

15D8BEEE-565D-4C3F-803E-AAA345DFEB3D.png

Sponsored

AZCrawl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Granite Jeep JLUR

Yeah, but it is being offered with a 8 speed transmission and isn't on the Rubicon
Looks like the Auto atic gets the 4.10 also accorcing to this from the Spec Launch info;

15D8BEEE-565D-4C3F-803E-AAA345DFEB3D.png
Woot! Pleasant surprise!!! I like the better approach, breakover, departure and ground clearance numbers too, but that is probably due to the bigger tires, right?

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yeah, but it is being offered with a 8 speed transmission and isn't on the Rubicon
Yeah, well they are offered on the Rubi now, and standard on the HR auto. The 8spd’s characteristics would still reverse the JK’s defaults based on gearing, etc. however... that’s all moot now as the launch info shows. Guess you need to option / special-request 3.73? I know I’d be one of the few to do so, but odd decision for the default.

Woot! Pleasant surprise!!! I like the better approach, breakover, departure and ground clearance numbers too, but that is probably due to the bigger tires, right?
Likely, and also possibly slight tweaks in design with the axles and suspension (considering the changes we’ve already seen), it all adds up.

AZCrawl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Granite Jeep JLUR
Yeah, well they are offered on the Rubi now, and standard on the HR auto. The 8spd’s characteristics would still reverse the JK’s defaults based on gearing, etc. however... that’s all moot now as the launch info shows. Guess you need to option / special-request 3.73? I know I’d be one of the few to do so, but odd decision for the default.

Likely, and also possibly slight tweaks in design with the axles and suspension (considering the changes we’ve already seen), it all adds up.
Yeah, I was going to ask you what you thought the circumstances would be for a Rubicon to be equipped with 3.73's? I guess the ordering system will need an update or something. I am happy to get 4.10's, the crawl ratio is going to be awesome!

whatroads

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Ram 1500 QC 4x4, 2012 Wangler
Anyway, I'm excited to get my hands on the 3.6, finally, after 10 years of the 3.8. (With which I've been completely satisfied in my JK.) This thing isn't supposed to be a race car, and that's not how I use it. I want adequate power off-road, smooth/quiet operation, good, linear pull throughout the powerband, and more than anything, dependability. I think this engine has all that.
I had a 2008 JKU sport w/ 3.8 V6 3.73 gears and 33 inch tires. It was totally unable to maintain even 55 mph through the Colorado 4 lane mountain passes. I sold it shortly after and got a QC 4x4 Ram 1500 Hemi w/ a 3.92 gear.

I'm actually excited about the Pentastar V6. I recently drove a brand new Grand Cherokee rental with the upgraded Pentastar. Nice combination

Idaho_7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Utility Trailer
Looks like an added bonus, if the just released figures on the V6 Manual two door are correct at highway 25 mpg. Guessing if just easy cruising to the adventure site, we might be able to get 27mpg.

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP
DanW

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I had a 2008 JKU sport w/ 3.8 V6 3.73 gears and 33 inch tires. It was totally unable to maintain even 55 mph through the Colorado 4 lane mountain passes. I sold it shortly after and got a QC 4x4 Ram 1500 Hemi w/ a 3.92 gear.

I'm actually excited about the Pentastar V6. I recently drove a brand new Grand Cherokee rental with the upgraded Pentastar. Nice combination
Something doesn't seem right there. Was it an auto tranny? I took my JKUR to Colorado years ago with my wife, 6 kids (at the time, and yes, 6. I had a Little Seats rear seat installed) and pulled a pop-up camper. It was ok, with 4.10 gearing and the 6 speed manual. No, it couldn't even come close to maintaining speed, but it was respectable, considering the load upon it. I was running the stock 32" KM's at the time. I have friends with the 4 speed auto and 3.73's and I know theirs drop to 3rd gear at the slightest struggle.

OP
OP
DanW

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Looks like an added bonus, if the just released figures on the V6 Manual two door are correct at highway 25 mpg. Guessing if just easy cruising to the adventure site, we might be able to get 27mpg.
Yeah, that's exciting! If you can get 27, I should be able to get 25. If I am able to do that, I might forgo the 35's and lift. Hmmmm. Jeep is making my tire choices a bit complicated.

Idaho_7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Utility Trailer
The initial thought on our 2 Door, V6, 6-Speed Rubicon was to lift it and place 35's or 37's before it left the dealership. As more detailed information arrives and looking at our actual backwoods travel and winter's snow and ice, thinking that we're going to leave it box stock, (adding a winch), and just enjoy it. We travel jeep trails, some rugged, forest service fire roads from streams to look out towers. Really not much slick mud around here and not taking this rig rock crawling. The V6 should shine, looking forward to it's eventual delivery.

whatroads

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Ram 1500 QC 4x4, 2012 Wangler
Something doesn't seem right there. Was it an auto tranny? I took my JKUR to Colorado years ago with my wife, 6 kids (at the time, and yes, 6. I had a Little Seats rear seat installed) and pulled a pop-up camper. It was ok, with 4.10 gearing and the 6 speed manual. No, it couldn't even come close to maintaining speed, but it was respectable, considering the load upon it. I was running the stock 32" KM's at the time. I have friends with the 4 speed auto and 3.73's and I know theirs drop to 3rd gear at the slightest struggle.
My 2008 JKU had the 3.8 that was matted to a horrible automatic transmission choice. I still blame the automatic tranny for most of the doggy traits this combination exhibited. I traded it off for my current 2011 QC 4x4 1500 w/ Hemi and 3.92 gears. I still smile every time I punch the gas

OP
OP
DanW

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
My dad has a 2010 JK with the 3.8, 4.10 axle and auto. I agree, its a sled due to the transmission. The lower gears are way too tall, re-gearing the axles to 4.88 or 5.13 helps a lot. I can't imagine what the 3.8L Sport with 3.21 gears is like.
The Sport with 3.21s would be a dog, but maybe not so bad with the little stock wheels/tires.
Sponsored