DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
My JK was in the service department all last week getting the parking brake shoes/mechanisms replaced (they were rusted out from mud/debris) and getting heater hoses and O2 sensors replaced. My service advisor arranged for me to drive, for free, all week, a 2017 JKU Sport with a 4" lift kit and 35" beastly Kumho mud tires and custom rims! This thing was gorgeous! Anyway, it had the auto tranny and 3.73 gearing. I thought it would struggle with that setup and massive, meaty tires. It did just fine, and didn't feel like it struggled, at all. It even posted 17mpg, which really impressed me.

I've got high confidence, now, that my JLUR with 4.10 gearing will have really nice power with the 33's on it, but will pull 35's with ease, if I go that direction. My wife fell in love with that JK and even asked that I cancel the JL order and just buy it. I asked if I could just put 35's, and if necessary, a 2" lift, on the JL, and she not only said yes, but said she really wants me to do that. We'll see. I like the looks of the stock Rubi with 33's, but she's now got me thinking...

Anyway, I'm excited to get my hands on the 3.6, finally, after 10 years of the 3.8. (With which I've been completely satisfied in my JK.) This thing isn't supposed to be a race car, and that's not how I use it. I want adequate power off-road, smooth/quiet operation, good, linear pull throughout the powerband, and more than anything, dependability. I think this engine has all that.

By the way, my dealership is simply awesome. They did not have to loan me that Jeep, and they certainly didn't need to do it for free, as my JK repairs were not in warranty. They are the best car dealership and service department with whom I've ever dealt. (Westgate Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep, Indianapolis).
Sponsored

AZCrawl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Granite Jeep JLUR
My JK was in the service department all last week getting the parking brake shoes/mechanisms replaced (they were rusted out from mud/debris) and getting heater hoses and O2 sensors replaced. My service advisor arranged for me to drive, for free, all week, a 2017 JKU Sport with a 4" lift kit and 35" beastly Kumho mud tires and custom rims! This thing was gorgeous! Anyway, it had the auto tranny and 3.73 gearing. I thought it would struggle with that setup and massive, meaty tires. It did just fine, and didn't feel like it struggled, at all. It even posted 17mpg, which really impressed me.

I've got high confidence, now, that my JLUR with 4.10 gearing will have really nice power with the 33's on it, but will pull 35's with ease, if I go that direction. My wife fell in love with that JK and even asked that I cancel the JL order and just buy it. I asked if I could just put 35's, and if necessary, a 2" lift, on the JL, and she not only said yes, but said she really wants me to do that. We'll see. I like the looks of the stock Rubi with 33's, but she's now got me thinking...

Anyway, I'm excited to get my hands on the 3.6, finally, after 10 years of the 3.8. (With which I've been completely satisfied in my JK.) This thing isn't supposed to be a race car, and that's not how I use it. I want adequate power off-road, smooth/quiet operation, good, linear pull throughout the powerband, and more than anything, dependability. I think this engine has all that.

By the way, my dealership is simply awesome. They did not have to loan me that Jeep, and they certainly didn't need to do it for free, as my JK repairs were not in warranty. They are the best car dealership and service department with whom I've ever dealt. (Westgate Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep, Indianapolis).
Unless you ordered a manual, it is likely to come with 3.73's.

OP
OP
DanW

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Unless you ordered a manual, it is likely to come with 3.73's.
I did order a manual, and it is confirmed to have 4.10s. Even if it had an auto, it has three more gear ratios than the current auto, which did fine with the 35's. The manual, if it had a 3.73, would have one more gear ratio. Either way, it should perform better than the 2017, which did quite well, IMO.

AZCrawl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Granite Jeep JLUR
I did order a manual, and it is confirmed to have 4.10s. Even if it had an auto, it has three more gear ratios than the current auto, which did fine with the 35's. The manual, if it had a 3.73, would have one more gear ratio. Either way, it should perform better than the 2017, which did quite well, IMO.
Agreed, just making sure.

OP
OP
DanW

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Agreed, just making sure.
I'm pretty sure they confirmed the 4.10 on the auto on the Rubi, too. I'd think that would probably move 37's fairly well, if one were so inclined.

Sponsored

AZCrawl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Granite Jeep JLUR
I'm pretty sure they confirmed the 4.10 on the auto on the Rubi, too. I'd think that would probably move 37's fairly well, if one were so inclined.
I hope that is true, where did you see it confirmed? Like you said, the extra gears in the auto lead me to believe that they will provide for the same crawl ratio as a 5 or 6 speed auto with 4:10's. Plus, nobody has seen it as an option when ordering or on any of the packages.

Rockmaninoff

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Website
sophistijeep.blogspot.com
Vehicle(s)
MY2014 JKU Overland (RHD) A/T, Mercedes E-class MY2017
This thing isn't supposed to be a race car, and that's not how I use it. I want adequate power off-road, smooth/quiet operation, good, linear pull throughout the powerband, and more than anything, dependability.
You'll have smoother/quieter operation, linear power delivery and increased dependability with a more powerful engine minus forced induction. You don't necessarily need to race it just because it has a lot of power :) So, I really hope they'll come up with 6.4 version.

ModdedJK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Modded JK
Clubs

AZCrawl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Granite Jeep JLUR
Yea in this list I see the 3.6L Rubicon listed with both 3.73 and 4.10 gears. Unless it was confirmed in another thread that auto transmission gets paired with 4.10?

http://www.jlwranglerforums.com/for...r-weight-tow-capacity-max-payload-specs.1440/
The working theory is that 4.10 gears are standard with the standard manual transmission but that the auto gets 3.73's. There was no option when ordering to account for 4.10 gears, and it isn't included in any of the packages either.

OP
OP
DanW

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
You'll have smoother/quieter operation, linear power delivery and increased dependability with a more powerful engine minus forced induction. You don't necessarily need to race it just because it has a lot of power :) So, I really hope they'll come up with 6.4 version.
The 3.6 I drove last week didn't struggle, at all, and was able to cruise around all day at low rpm with no wheezing or gasping. It was smooth and quiet. Heck, my 3.8 is super smooth and quiet. It has also had 119k miles of 100% dependability, and I've seen a number of them with 300k plus with no major issues. I'm not saying excess power wouldn't be nice. I'm just saying the 3.6 has plenty for my needs, and it has pleasant NVH, to boot. None of the Jeepers I know with them have had any real issues, either. I just think it is a good, solid V6 with good manners and adequate power, so I'm looking forward to having one in my JLU. I also think it will be nice if paired to a good manual transmission. This engine seems to pull nicely from right off idle all the way up to redline.

It should be fun to have with the manual, which I hope is a Tremec unit and not just a re-worked NSG370. In fact, if it is a reworked 370, I'll try to change my order to an auto, if it isn't too late. My guess, though, is that Jeep has hapily put the 370 in its rear view mirror. They've had their share of issues with them, and I've had plenty with mine, (although it never left me stranded.)

Sponsored

rodhotter

First Name
bernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 chevy colorado 2001 audi TT 225Q
never had a jeep but always liked them, they never fit my needs!! now the pickup is a different story + even though i have one the possibility of open top like my roadster is the draw for me, so if it can haul a half ton with a manual shift i am in!!! having had + still having turbocharged engines make them a preference, but being all new prolly not + of course the $$$$ comes into play, so i would be happy with a cheaper work-truck as many of the xtras are just JUNK that increases the price which is a reason i would not buy!!

Rockmaninoff

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Website
sophistijeep.blogspot.com
Vehicle(s)
MY2014 JKU Overland (RHD) A/T, Mercedes E-class MY2017
The 3.6 I drove last week didn't struggle, at all, and was able to cruise around all day at low rpm with no wheezing or gasping. It was smooth and quiet. Heck, my 3.8 is super smooth and quiet. It has also had 119k miles of 100% dependability, and I've seen a number of them with 300k plus with no major issues. I'm not saying excess power wouldn't be nice. I'm just saying the 3.6 has plenty for my needs, and it has pleasant NVH, to boot. None of the Jeepers I know with them have had any real issues, either. I just think it is a good, solid V6 with good manners and adequate power, so I'm looking forward to having one in my JLU. I also think it will be nice if paired to a good manual transmission. This engine seems to pull nicely from right off idle all the way up to redline.

It should be fun to have with the manual, which I hope is a Tremec unit and not just a re-worked NSG370. In fact, if it is a reworked 370, I'll try to change my order to an auto, if it isn't too late. My guess, though, is that Jeep has hapily put the 370 in its rear view mirror. They've had their share of issues with them, and I've had plenty with mine, (although it never left me stranded.)
Yes I love my 3.6 but the Jeeps are heavy. That's why I supercharged mine :)

Indio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 Jeep TJ, 1985 Jeep CJ-7, 1972 Series III Land Rover
Occupation
Procrastinator

I hope Jeep upgraded the manual transmission as you suggested. Odd that we still know so little about it - not even the model number. Maybe tomorrow at the big reveal, we will get all the specs?

Regarding auto vs manual trans, gearing and power - my old CJ7 has a 258ci inline six engine, with auto trans (TF 999) and crummy 2.72 axle gearing. Yet I was able to flat tow vehicles behind it no problem, felt like the vehicle wasn't even there. On the other hand, one time I flat towed using my other older CJ5 with 225ci V6 and manual transmission (T14) and 3.73 axle gearing, and that vehicle had a significantly more difficult time towing. Granted it only had a 3 speed manual trans without granny low. But I definitely knew that I was towing a vehicle and had to play with the gears and rev the engine just to get power. It was a far different experience compared to towing with the auto.

I would say both manual and auto trans have their good and bad points, and each is fun in their different ways. But auto trans with it's attributes such as smooth torque multiplication can give a nice ride and in some situations provide an impression of more power.

rodhotter

First Name
bernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 chevy colorado 2001 audi TT 225Q
forced induction rules!!! making more torque in lower rpm's it feels more powerful. as far as gearing + trannys go its the final ratio @ the tyre that counts + of course a manual shifts power when you decide not some preprogrammed time based on what a designer "thinks" is good

OP
OP
DanW

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I hope that is true, where did you see it confirmed? Like you said, the extra gears in the auto lead me to believe that they will provide for the same crawl ratio as a 5 or 6 speed auto with 4:10's. Plus, nobody has seen it as an option when ordering or on any of the packages.
I'm pretty sure it was confimred somewhere in this forum, IIRC.
Sponsored