OP
OP
Zoobie

Zoobie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
I went with SB because I know it is compatible with the Mopar hinges if I decide to do those later. The RC bracket has to be grinded down (revision is coming that does not require this, but not out yet).
Great point! Rough Country not being compatible with the Mopar tailgate reinforcement kit is a huge design flaw... and I don't like that the bottom is closed, which means it will collect junk and corrode over time. Love the feedback, think it just pushed me to Smittybilt + Mopar tailgate reinforcement kit.

Really wish there was a 3rd party tailgate reinforcement kit + integrated spacer ;)
Sponsored

Martindfletcher

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ducati 1299s, 2018 JLUR
I'm running the Mopar kit, not just the relocation bracket. Reasons for selecting the Mopar kit include the fact that I needed the weight reinforcement with my setup, and there was limited to no availability of anything else at the time. I paid nowhere near retail, so my kit was only slightly more than other reinforcement kits. The relocation kit pricing for various brands continues to improve, and that's because of the increased competition and availaiblity.

Another reason the Mopar kit is an interesting buy, relates to the fact that it is expandable. Meaning, it comes with additional plates to accommodate wider tire sizes in the future. I don't know if the other kits include these plates, and I realize it's not a huge selling point, it was just nice to know that getting this kit offered flexibility on the original install and beyond.

That's just my perspective, which in no way makes it correct or right for anyone else.

IMAG0005.jpg

Passenger Side - Profile.jpg
Did you have any issues with tailgate alignment after? Mine seems higher than before looked with lines, but doesn’t close well.

Sting_NC_USA

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Did you have any issues with tailgate alignment after? Mine seems higher than before looked with lines, but doesn’t close well.
No, everything went fine. Before the install, I opened the gate, inserted the cardboard shims, shut the gate, then removed the hinge bolts. On mine, the door never moved. It shouldn't be too tough to fix, though you're probably going to need to take the wheel/tire off of the gate to do so. Good luck!

Martindfletcher

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ducati 1299s, 2018 JLUR
No, everything went fine. Before the install, I opened the gate, inserted the cardboard shims, shut the gate, then removed the hinge bolts. On mine, the door never moved. It shouldn't be too tough to fix, though you're probably going to need to take the wheel/tire off of the gate to do so. Good luck!
Readjusted, seems fine without tire on it, but a little more load to latch with 37 heavy tire than before is this normal?

Sting_NC_USA

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Readjusted, seems fine without tire on it, but a little more load to latch with 37 heavy tire than before is this normal?
Yeah, it's slightly heavier in feel, but it shouldn't be too much different. Glad you got it adjusted.

Sponsored

tntemerson

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TerranceEmerson.com
Vehicle(s)
1) Wrangler JLU, Mopar Lift, BFG 35's, Fuel Anza 558 wheels, Westin Bumper, Smittybilt 10k winch; 2) GMC 4x4 1/2 Ton Pickup, 350 V8, 5 Speed (scarce)
I’ve also went with the Smittybilt, for 35s on my Sahara. Yet to receive the Sahara though, so the SB is sitting in the unopened box.

I went with SB because I know it is compatible with the Mopar hinges if I decide to do those later. The RC bracket has to be grinded down (revision is coming that does not require this, but not out yet).

That said... I wonder if the park sense beeping is unique to the SB bracket? If so, I’d return mine.

Anyone have the SB option and no beeping from park sense?
I went with the Smitty Built. I looked at several. It also has solid steel wings to manage the side stops. I'm pretty sure that a couple of 5/16 or 3/8 dia SS bolts, some nuts and washers, and a pair of 2.5" tapered rubber trailer door stops, will give me fully adjustable side supports. The dealer also had a build on the lot with the SB holding heavy 35" Nitto's and I virtually HUNG on the thing. The entire body just moved on the rear springs. Seemed pretty solid. SB claims it will hold to 35 on its own, but 37's need the Mopar reinforcement @ $699 (yikes). Cool that it will accept the Mopar gate reinforcement, but I'm only planning on 35's for now because mine's a Sport with only the m186 front end. 37's are a said to be a big NO NO, if the m186 is anything like the Dana 30 it's replacing. Will it hold up without the gate reinforcement and not damage the gate and springs? Only time can tell.

SB is also sitting in the garage so I can't report on my own install yet, the park beeping and such. My JLU is delivered, but I can't pick it up until next week after the dealer installs the Mopar 2" lift, and with ordering, shipping, and install schedule, wheels/tires probably a week after that. That said, the one the dealer had installed was on display, and if the park beep was howling, you would think they would know before they parked it out on the grass in front of the dealership for every passing car to gawk at. But you never know.

aug0211

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 4xe
I’ve upgraded my JL order to a Rubicon... and am debating whether to keep the SB carrier I have (unopened in the box) or sell it here or return it...

OP
OP
Zoobie

Zoobie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Ended up doing Mopar tailgate reinforcement + Smittybilt bracket. Photo's with stock 33" Rubicon tire still, 37's are coming. Smittybilt bracket fit with the Mopar tailgate reinforcement kit.

[UPDATE] After having the Smittybilt bracket with my 37's for 8 months, the Smittybilt bracket broke under the weight of the big 37's and I had to replace it. I replace it with the Mopar bracket, and while it seems like a totally overpriced rip-off, it worked much better. My 37" tire fit just exactly perfect, much tighter to the tailgate, and less movement... it was expensive, but it's better

IMG_1177.jpg

IMG_1178.jpg

IMG_1179.jpg

Last edited:

Sponsored

aug0211

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 4xe
hate to bring up an old thread but does the smittybilt bracket provide you with plugs for holes where the rubber isolaters went?
Yes it does!

FWIW, I kept the factory isolators in place to give added dampening between the bracket and the tailgate. The fit was perfect (snug against the isolators with slight compression).

I then added aftermarket (larger) isolators into the bracket itself to dampen the tire.

So, I did not use the plugs provided - but they’re definitely there.

Side note - I subsequently removed my SmittyBilt carrier. Had it on for 1 week. No issues but was able to get by without it. If interested in buying for less than retail, let me know. I’m in Ohio.

GRAK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubi, Corvette
Clubs

Omg, this Rough Country relocation bracket is heavy as hell. How can that help? They just assume you’re also forking out for a reinforcement kit too I suppose.

tntemerson

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TerranceEmerson.com
Vehicle(s)
1) Wrangler JLU, Mopar Lift, BFG 35's, Fuel Anza 558 wheels, Westin Bumper, Smittybilt 10k winch; 2) GMC 4x4 1/2 Ton Pickup, 350 V8, 5 Speed (scarce)
hate to bring up an old thread but does the smittybilt bracket provide you with plugs for holes where the rubber isolaters went?
I believe it did, because the holes are filled with plastic stoppers. Back when I checking the contents of the tire relocator shipment, I seem to remember the plugs in the plastic bag with the bolts.

But the fact is that I had my installer throw it on when I had the wheels and tires done. He had the spare down anyway. So I don't remember for an absolute certainty. I had him hold off on putting the vibration stoppers back on the relocator because they were too short anyway and I had a plan in mind to fix that.

aug0211

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 4xe
I believe it did, because the holes are filled with plastic stoppers. Back when I checking the contents of the tire relocator shipment, I seem to remember the plugs in the plastic bag with the bolts.

But the fact is that I had my installer throw it on when I had the wheels and tires done. He had the spare down anyway. So I don't remember for an absolute certainty. I had him hold off on putting the vibration stoppers back on the relocator because they were too short anyway and I had a plan in mind to fix that.
Yes, it definitely does.

That said, I recommend keeping your factory isolators where they are. They provide dampening/support between the tailgate and the carrier. Then, buy better isolators (you probably need bigger ones, anyway, if you need a relo bracket....) and put the bigger ones on the bracket.

I recommend energy suspensions (found on Amazon).

anotheraznguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mojito JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Yes, it definitely does.

That said, I recommend keeping your factory isolators where they are. They provide dampening/support between the tailgate and the carrier. Then, buy better isolators (you probably need bigger ones, anyway, if you need a relo bracket....) and put the bigger ones on the bracket.

I recommend energy suspensions (found on Amazon).
Of course it is always good to have the isolator. However i am referring to the Smittybuilt relocation kit has wings on the end where the isolator goes leaving 2 holes in the tailgate.
Sponsored