Found this for our ZF8

Spinrite

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Willy's
Upgrade for our transmission pans on all JL & JTs with bonus drain plug.

Sponsored

Reactions: KNN

gsbrockman

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Dodge Challenger Scat Pack Plus A8 & F8 Green
Occupation
Owner / Operator Brockman Hauling, LLC
Vehicle Showcase
Not buying a high-dollar pan that I, the end user, have to “grind to fit”.

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
Solving a problem, that isn't a problem. If you buy this for a cooler tranny, then you need to add a better tranny cooler. That will work better than a bigger pan.

QwikKotaTx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 Dodge Dakota T56, 2015 Hemi Ram
The ZF 8 speed is designed to run warmer just in case some are worried about high readings compared to previous vehicles, FYI.

19 JLUR Bright Whit3

First Name
Zeke
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Stretched 2 door Rubi (LOL)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired Punisher
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for sharing OP. Not high on my list though. I would consider an inline cooling option first.

Sponsored

calemasters

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited, & Escalade
Occupation
Retired Mechanical Engineer
My 8hp75 transmission has a factory cooler with a thermostat. I monitor my transmission fluid temperature and It has never had an overheat issue. It runs around 200 degrees F. Not sure this is pan is needed.

Last edited:

SecondTJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
The ZF 8 speed is designed to run warmer just in case some are worried about high readings compared to previous vehicles, FYI.
My old ZF 8HP70 stayed in the 195-199F range while my current ZF 8HP75 runs 168-172F

Chrysler’s 850RE seems to run a tad warmer than the ZF units

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
I bought one, not really for cooling, but for the built-in drain plug. The cooling and additional fluid is just a bonus. I plan to do several drain and fills after swapping the PPE for the OEM to be sure that I get most of the old fluid out of the system. I would rather not drop the pan every time to do that.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
I bought one, not really for cooling, but for the built-in drain plug. The cooling and additional fluid is just a bonus. I plan to do several drain and fills after swapping the PPE for the OEM to be sure that I get most of the old fluid out of the system. I would rather not drop the pan every time to do that.
At $30/quart, I’m not sure you’re getting your money’s worth here.

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Adding a drain plug is easy. There are a lot of inexpensive kits, probably around $10 or less. You just drill the hole, where you want it, and lock in the plug, with a couple of wrenches or pliers. These have been around for many years.
Here is a simple example:
https://www.amazon.com/Dorman-HELP-...hvlocphy=&hvtargid=pla-4584345016338692&psc=1

To make it even simpler, you could use a plug like that, and add a Fumoto Valve.
https://www.amazon.com/Fumoto-F103S...9Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

Sponsored

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
IMHO, wasted money, for this pan. People would be better off just adding a drain plug , to their existing tranny pan, and adding an inline cooler($40-$60), if they are worried about excessive heat.

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Adding a drain plug is easy. There are a lot of inexpensive kits, probably around $10 or less. You just drill the hole, where you want it, and lock in the plug, with a couple of wrenches or pliers. These have been around for many years.
Here is a simple example:
https://www.amazon.com/Dorman-HELP-...hvlocphy=&hvtargid=pla-4584345016338692&psc=1

To make it even simpler, you could use a plug like that, and add a Fumoto Valve.
https://www.amazon.com/Fumoto-F103S-LC-10-Lever-Engine/dp/B07D9FCRWM/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?crid=1EG954Y886BD&keywords=fumoto+oil+drain+valve&qid=1646656189&sprefix=Fumoto+,aps,238&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUExMDc3Q1Q5WVdPSzQ5JmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwMTEwNDQ4MVQwVFBYNFU2N0ZQQiZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwODQ3MDQzM0cyT1JNVjdSMTZTNSZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX2F0ZiZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=
Meh...to each his or her own. I actually bought a weld-in plug, but elected to go this route. I am good with my choice.

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
At $30/quart, I’m not sure you’re getting your money’s worth here.
It is $15 a quart online and dropping the pan/changing the filter leaves as much in the transmission as you remove by dropping the pan. ZF does not recommend flushes so this is the next best thing.

Most will not change the fluid at all since FCA states that it is a "lifetime fill" but we all know that is bovine scatology. I just prefer to keep my JL well maintained.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
It is $15 a quart online and dropping the pan/changing the filter leaves as much in the transmission as you remove by dropping the pan. ZF does not recommend flushes so this is the next best thing.

Most will not change the fluid at all since FCA states that it is a "lifetime fill" but we all know that is bovine scatology. I just prefer to keep my JL well maintained.
I'll be changing mine at 50k miles and every 50k thereafter. At my current miles per year that's about every 4.5 to 5 years. I can get that ATF for about that $15 price from my dealer and the entire pan/gasket/filter combo is about $90 from them too, parts mgr gives me a deal :)
Having a drain plug would be nice but I don't mind doing the pan exchange since it's only every 5 yrs give or take.

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Meh...to each his or her own. I actually bought a weld-in plug, but elected to go this route. I am good with my choice.
You are correct, to each his own.
But, for me, $10 + $30 + $60= $100 for the modification of your factory pan, with a Fumoto Valve, and an inline tranny cooler, that will cool better, is an even better option.
The price of this PPE pan is around $300, and it won't cool near as well as an inline cooler.
Then again, the PPE is pretty.

Another thought. The factory pan is made of steel, which bends, when bumped by a rock, or branch, off-road.
The PPE is made of cast aluminum. We all know what happens to cast aluminum, when hit or bumped. It cracks, or breaks.
Then again, those are just my thoughts, and opinions.
When it comes time for a tranny fluid change, I think I know which route I will be taking.
Sponsored