Sponsored

So this broke, window defroster hook up?

JAY1941

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Occupation
LE
I just noticed this is broke. Does anyone know how it’s connected?

53F82E76-9CEF-44F1-BBFD-CD29F395B638.jpeg
Sponsored

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase

Jeep Wrangler JL So this broke, window defroster hook up? 53F82E76-9CEF-44F1-BBFD-CD29F395B638
Some form of soldering is used to attach it. This has been a common problem, and full glass replacement seems to be the dealers go-to.

Coyne11

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLU Rubicon , 1989 Toyota Pickup 4x4 SAS Swap
Mine broke loose as well. I took it into the dealer and they said the first attempt they have to try and resolder it back on and if it comes loose again, they get a replacement back glass. I’m unfortunately into the second attempt but have not taken it back in yet. Mine will all be covered by warranty

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Does anyone know how it’s connected?
This has been an issue even back with the JK model. If you don't want to deal with the dealer you can try fixing it yourself using something from https://frostfighter.com/

However, if you are still covered by your warranty the dealer option is your best bet.

Sponsored

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL

Jeep Wrangler JL So this broke, window defroster hook up? 53F82E76-9CEF-44F1-BBFD-CD29F395B638
Mine broke loose as well. I took it into the dealer and they said the first attempt they have to try and resolder it back on and if it comes loose again, they get a replacement back glass. I’m unfortunately into the second attempt but have not taken it back in yet. Mine will all be covered by warranty
Hey, JAY1941 and Coyne11. If you need any assistance working with your dealer for repairs to this component, don't hesitate to contact us in private message!

Kate
Jeep Cares

Gazorpazorpfield

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Bikini Pearl, 2009 JKU X
Hey, JAY1941 and Coyne11. If you need any assistance working with your dealer for repairs to this component, don't hesitate to contact us in private message!

Kate
Jeep Cares
Hi, same thing happened to my hardtop defroster, I will message you

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL

WagzDad

First Name
Carroll
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
The cause? The poor connection, with low effective contact area, makes enough heat to soften the solder.
Solutions:
1. Still in warranty? It’s a dealer issue.
2. out of warranty pop the tab out of the connector and reattach with frost fighter silver epoxy. It’s a slow set epoxy that requires additional heat to cure. Read and follow the directions. There’s a decent video on the frost fighter website. Once it’s cured, I’d let it set a couple days before moving on to reattach the connector. You can improve the connection by trimming a sliver of the rubber boot around the tab area, cutting 3 or 4 circles of uncoated foil (copper if you can find it) to go between the tab and connector To tighten it up. A little dab of conducting copper antiseize , like used on spark plugs, in the boot helps conductivity.
3. Best. Change the connector and tab to the improved clip design sold by frost fighter. It’s a better connection and moves the hot spot a little further from the epoxy joint.

F800

First Name
'
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU
Broke on mine too, but I went a full winter in canada without it and didn’t bother me. I get it, factory defect, still in warranty etc but i don’t view it as something worth my time going into the dealership for.
Sponsored