AEV ProCal SNAP

brewski

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR-diesel
Having a really hard time opening the ODBII “locking tabs on both sides”. I’ve tried small screwdriver and dental pick but I’ve only put several gashes in the plastic tabs but they remain closed. What is the trick here? Can I just shove #1 and #9 in without opening the locking tabs?
Are you doing it in the right place? they open easily. The lock is a flap cover that sits in the middle of the connector from plug end to wire insertion end. If you look at the sketch in the instructions it is much better than you would initially think. the flap or door is about 1/4in in size and covers most of the width of the connector. It opens from the plug end; hinge on the wire insertion end. I'll see if I can find a photo to help. I don't have my jeep w/ me today

I know I struggled trying to figure out where the locking flap was that had to be opened.

update. I took some pics(not very good ones) of the back of the connector trying to see the #s printed on it. But you can see the doors/flaps open in these pics if that helps you identify where they are. They’re on the top/bottom of the connector and the front/back wouldbe the plug and wire ends. These aren’t the most helpful pics, but maybe they’ll be just enough to help you figure it out.

Jeep Wrangler JL AEV ProCal SNAP 95EC2E4A-F24D-4BCD-8921-479267C186B3

Jeep Wrangler JL AEV ProCal SNAP E40BCF87-AE5B-4EC8-BFDA-C580F74C36A9
Sponsored

shane340

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLR
Are you doing it in the right place? they open easily. The lock is a flap cover that sits in the middle of the connector from plug end to wire insertion end. If you look at the sketch in the instructions it is much better than you would initially think. the flap or door is about 1/4in in size and covers most of the width of the connector. It opens from the plug end; hinge on the wire insertion end. I'll see if I can find a photo to help. I don't have my jeep w/ me today

I know I struggled trying to figure out where the locking flap was that had to be opened.

update. I took some pics(not very good ones) of the back of the connector trying to see the #s printed on it. But you can see the doors/flaps open in these pics if that helps you identify where they are. They’re on the top/bottom of the connector and the front/back wouldbe the plug and wire ends. These aren’t the most helpful pics, but maybe they’ll be just enough to help you figure it out.

95EC2E4A-F24D-4BCD-8921-479267C186B3.jpeg

E40BCF87-AE5B-4EC8-BFDA-C580F74C36A9.jpeg
Thanks! I was able to get it using a dental pick I picked up from the toothpaste aisle in Target! The problem was that I was picking at the far sides/ends of the locking tabs/flaps. Once I pushed the pick in the next groove over from the end the pick was able to hook in and snap it open. I still got some gashing in the plastic but nothing is broken. I finished the install pretty quickly after that and got my tire size set and tpms lowered to 30 psi. Thanks for the pictures.

If you could take a picture of where you hooked your screwdriver/pick that'd be great. My location worked but I wouldn't say that it "opened easily", so I may have been using the wrong or less optimal location.

Bandana

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR
Having a really hard time opening the ODBII “locking tabs on both sides”. I’ve tried small screwdriver and dental pick but I’ve only put several gashes in the plastic tabs but they remain closed. What is the trick here? Can I just shove #1 and #9 in without opening the locking tabs?
I used a small nail from a picture hanging frame kit. Good luck
Sponsored