cold trans stall/ hesitating

luvnphishn2

First Name
mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jeep rubicon 2L turbo
well the 2019 JLUR is back at the dealer for second time. When cold outside it hesitates or conks out until transmission temp is about 120 degrees. It sometimes feels like it maybe throttle related but i think it’s the transmission skipping gears when cold. First trip took to dealer and they replaced Map sensor. Seemed to run fine but first cold morning went back to hesitating and stallling. I have lost trust as it’s scary not knowing when it’s just going to stall and all error lights up the dash. It will always restart and throw engine light on but def related to cold weather. Takes about 20 minutes of driving not engine temp for it to stop so that’s why i’m leaning towards a tranny issue. anybody deal with these issues? thanks
Sponsored

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
well the 2019 JLUR is back at the dealer for second time. When cold outside it hesitates or conks out until transmission temp is about 120 degrees. It sometimes feels like it maybe throttle related but i think it’s the transmission skipping gears when cold. First trip took to dealer and they replaced Map sensor. Seemed to run fine but first cold morning went back to hesitating and stallling. I have lost trust as it’s scary not knowing when it’s just going to stall and all error lights up the dash. It will always restart and throw engine light on but def related to cold weather. Takes about 20 minutes of driving not engine temp for it to stop so that’s why i’m leaning towards a tranny issue. anybody deal with these issues? thanks
Mine has started to slow shift, and hunt around when cold in the morning and parked outside for may the first 2 or 3 minutes and then settles down.

Didn't do this last winter, but also didn't have lift and big tires and other stuff done to it.

OP
OP
luvnphishn2

luvnphishn2

First Name
mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mine has started to slow shift, and hunt around when cold in the morning and parked outside for may the first 2 or 3 minutes and then settles down.

Didn't do this last winter, but also didn't have lift and big tires and other stuff done to it.
yes mines stock only 19k miles. I know others have said they need to warm up but mine doesn’t stop for 15 or so minutes of driving and sometimes stalls.

jason0341

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2.0L Rubicon
I posted a thread about this as well. Mine was not hesitating, but it was clunking between 2-3 up and 3-2 down until the trans reached around 120-130° since it started getting cold outside here. My dealer reset and flashed my transmission definitely drives better now without the clunking even when the trans is still cold.

OP
OP
luvnphishn2

luvnphishn2

First Name
mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I posted a thread about this as well. Mine was not hesitating, but it was clunking between 2-3 up and 3-2 down until the trans reached around 120-130° since it started getting cold outside here. My dealer reset and flashed my transmission definitely drives better now without the clunking even when the trans is still cold.
Great i’ll mention that to the dealer. did it ever stall from it? thanks

Sponsored

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
This is certainly not the owning experience we want for you, luvnphishn2. Our team would be happy to discuss this further with you. Please send us a private message.

Kate
Jeep Cares

jason0341

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2.0L Rubicon
Mine is back to clunking again when cold as well. Worked well for about 1.5wks from their flash but that’s it. Mine does not throw any codes but it’s definitely the trans and temp related. 8300 miles on mine but I’m going to drive it till it grenades since the dealership says it just needs to be flashed again and that’s all the help I’m getting.

OP
OP
luvnphishn2

luvnphishn2

First Name
mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mine is back to clunking again when cold as well. Worked well for about 1.5wks from their flash but that’s it. Mine does not throw any codes but it’s definitely the trans and temp related. 8300 miles on mine but I’m going to drive it till it grenades since the dealership says it just needs to be flashed again and that’s all the help I’m getting.
called me today and said been escalated to STAR i’ll keep you posted . they were able to replicate the issue .

jason0341

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2.0L Rubicon
called me today and said been escalated to STAR i’ll keep you posted . they were able to replicate the issue .
Glad to hear...keep me posted.
Does yours actually stall completely or just clunk when it’s cold? Mine just clunks up and down until around 120-130 never stalled out or threw a code though. My dealership was able to replicate and flash the PCM and TCM but it’s back now.

Sponsored

OP
OP
luvnphishn2

luvnphishn2

First Name
mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Does yours actually stall completely or just clunk when it’s cold? Mine just clunks up and down until around 120-130 never stalled out or threw a code though. My dealership was able to replicate and flash the PCM and TCM but it’s back now.
mine has stalled twice now with codes and whole dash lit up. just like yours after trans gets to temp no issues. mine has been flashed and new map sensor but still doing it

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Have you returned to the dealer yet, jason0341? We suggest doing so and if you need any assistance from us, please reach out.

Kate
Jeep Cares

jason0341

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2.0L Rubicon
Have you returned to the dealer yet, jason0341? We suggest doing so and if you need any assistance from us, please reach out.

Kate
Jeep Cares
Nope I have t been back yet. Haven’t had the time. It’s still doing it though. Just waiting for it to grenade then they may actually fix it instead of just flashing it. My buddy has a 2.0 here local in Colorado as well and it’s smooth as butter even when it’s in the teens.
Sponsored