Engine stall after ESS restart

YenBoon

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
Preface: 90% of the time I'm in my Jeep, I turn the ESS off immediately. I have a 2021 JLU Sport S with automatic transmission.

I had just set out to grab some lunch and was about a mile away from my house when I came to a red light. I came to a full stop and heard the engine shut off. When the light was getting ready to turn green, I let my foot off the brake pedal slightly so the engine would turn itself back on. I felt the engine crank back up but as soon I let completely off the brake pedal my engine stalled out. I was in a mild panic so I'm not exactly sure which one lit up but (it was either the "P" or the "D" on the shifter) one of them started blinking. I put the Jeep back into Park and then dropped it back into Drive. I immediately turned off the ESS and continued driving and luckily didn't come across that problem again. Has this happened to others in the past? Is there anything I can check up on to see if it's a hardware issue? Thanks in advance!

- Ben
Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
Preface: 90% of the time I'm in my Jeep, I turn the ESS off immediately. I have a 2021 JLU Sport S with automatic transmission.

I had just set out to grab some lunch and was about a mile away from my house when I came to a red light. I came to a full stop and heard the engine shut off. When the light was getting ready to turn green, I let my foot off the brake pedal slightly so the engine would turn itself back on. I felt the engine crank back up but as soon I let completely off the brake pedal my engine stalled out. I was in a mild panic so I'm not exactly sure which one lit up but (it was either the "P" or the "D" on the shifter) one of them started blinking. I put the Jeep back into Park and then dropped it back into Drive. I immediately turned off the ESS and continued driving and luckily didn't come across that problem again. Has this happened to others in the past? Is there anything I can check up on to see if it's a hardware issue? Thanks in advance!

- Ben
@YenBoon

Any messages on the dash saying anything.... like ESS disabled, etc...

No CEL being displayed?

OP
OP
YenBoon

YenBoon

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T

@YenBoon

Any messages on the dash saying anything.... like ESS disabled, etc...

No CEL being displayed?
No messages came up on the dash and no CEL came on. The only thing I noticed (while quickly trying to get my car to move after the light turned green and the entire world started honking at me lol) was the "P" or "D" lights blinking on the shifter.

I had the "ESS Disabled" light come on once a few months ago while I was driving. At that time I had ESS turned off so I didn't think anything of it. (TBH I was kind of relieved and low key hoping it was permanently disabled haha.) I was only a few blocks away from home at that time and when I got home, the light had turned off.

Now that I think about it, this is already the 2nd "incident" I had come up with the ESS system before I hit 5,000 miles...

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Iā€™ll repeat myself as I have in other threads with the same premise, the ā€œESS Systemā€ doesnā€™t exist. Itā€™s always a hardware problem.

OP
OP
YenBoon

YenBoon

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
Iā€™ll repeat myself as I have in other threads with the same premise, the ā€œESS Systemā€ doesnā€™t exist. Itā€™s always a hardware problem.
Since these "ESS" systems were introduced into cars, I've always hated them. Normally you can turn it off and the car will remember your last saved setting. I can't stand how this isn't the case with the JL. I'm thinking about picking up a Tazer Mini to permanently turn it off.

Sponsored

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Since these "ESS" systems were introduced into cars, I've always hated them. Normally you can turn it off and the car will remember your last saved setting. I can't stand how this isn't the case with the JL. I'm thinking about picking up a Tazer Mini to permanently turn it off.
This would not solve your problem at all. Youā€™ve had a simple hardware failure (likely a battery or two) that would happen and does happen on many vehicles with Moparā€™s very bad batteries.

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
Nothing wrong with getting a Tazer Mini as itā€™s a solid product that has excellent support and integration is pretty seamless but if you want to save some coin and are Tech Savy look into a Smart Stop/Start module paired with JSCAN, most likely would save you a fair amount of $$$

JSCAN requires more user intervention and does not handle some things as well as the Tazer but the basic things like TPMS, LED changes, Tire size and a few other things are seamless and the whole marry/unmarry process is not needed so no need to do anything prior to a service visit unless you choose to leave the 12+8 bypass cable plugged in then you will have to remove that.

OP
OP
YenBoon

YenBoon

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
Nothing wrong with getting a Tazer Mini as itā€™s a solid product that has excellent support and integration is pretty seamless but if you want to save some coin and are Tech Savy look into a Smart Stop/Start module paired with JSCAN, most likely would save you a fair amount of $$$

JSCAN requires more user intervention and does not handle some things as well as the Tazer but the basic things like TPMS, LED changes, Tire size and a few other things are seamless and the whole marry/unmarry process is not needed so no need to do anything prior to a service visit unless you choose to leave the 12+8 bypass cable plugged in then you will have to remove that.
I will definitely look into the module + JSCAN combo, thanks for the recommendation. I was only going to buy the Tazer Mini for the ESS cancel, LED changes and tire size so this sounds like a perfect alternative.

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
I will definitely look into the module + JSCAN combo, thanks for the recommendation. I was only going to buy the Tazer Mini for the ESS cancel, LED changes and tire size so this sounds like a perfect alternative.
ESS currently is the only thing you mentioned that JSCAN does not handle as well as the Tazer, seems Tazer and Smart Stop/Start have the corner market on that.

With JSCAN you have to disable ESS then disable a hood switch and this produces a dash error and then JSCAN allows you to turn that error off but then remote start is disabled, maybe eventually they will get it figured out but guessing the methods that Tazer and Smart Stop/Start use are trademarked so JSCAN canā€™t use those methods but the other items are pretty easy and done from a smartphone or tablet thru a BT OBDII module and you just have to bypass the SGW with a 12+8 cable but then you have to bypass the same with a Tazer but no cable needed.

IMHO both are excellent and both handle the basic stuff but the Tazer is a bit more user refined so whatever way you go you canā€™t go wrong.

Last edited:

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@YenBoon

You started this thread and mentioned you had an issue.... I asked for more info.... do you have a CEL, a StopStart issue/message, etc., and you provided a tad... a tiny bit of information...

@mwilk012,...... alluded to you.... you probably have a hardware issue.... you have had a symptom of same occur... apparently twice you mentioned later.

YOU, have this notion it seems that since you keep ESS turned off "90 of the time" that you have a free pass ...

.... well I'm unsure of what you think, but having ESS turned on or off 90% does not give you a free pass so to speak in regard to hardware/battery related issues..

Then, you mention Tazer in passing, and the conversation has JSCAN introduced (suggested) into it by a forum member which makes absolutely no sense at all in regard to your issue..... and is actually pointing you down the wrong road.... a dis-service to you in regard to your issue.

YOU, undoubtedly have a hardware/battery related issue. YOU can ignore and wait for more symptoms or a no start situation or whatever..... or, you can go have a load test to see if you need battery replacement....

IF after addressing your possible hardware issue you decide you want something to deal with StopStart ..... something that pushes the ESS button for you to speak, then go with a @SmartStopStart.com unit..... IF you want to address more then StopStart and wish to address StopStart, tire size , LED's and more.. then buy a Tazer JL Mini.

I would never recommend JSCAN to someone that wants to deal with ESS. (StopStart).. JSCAN dealing with ESS is laughable at best and that JSCAN way of dealing with ESS causes hiccups and can cause problems.

YES, I currently use JSCAN and have in the past used / had a Tazer JL. I know both quite well and I know when and when not to suggest either of them... I don't willy nilly, inappropriately spew to use either...

Sponsored

jespey

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR White; 2021 Ford Bronco Sport Badlands
@YenBoon

You came to this thread saying you had an issue.... I asked for more info.... do you have a CEL, a StopStart issue/message, etc., and you provided a tad... a tiny bit of information...

As mentioned by @mwilk012,...... he alluded to you.... you probably have a hardware issue.... you have had a symptom of same occur... apparently twice..

YOU, have this notion it seems that since you keep ESS turned off "90 of the time" that you have a free pass ...

.... well I'm unsure of what you think, but having ESS turned on or off 90% does not give you a free pass so to speak in regard to hardware/battery related issues..

Then, you mention Tazer in passing, and the conversation has JSCAN introduced (suggested) into it by a forum member which makes absolutely no sense at all in regard to your issue..... and is actually pointing you down the wrong road.... a dis-service to you in regard to your issue.

YOU, have undoubtedly a hardware/battery related issue. YOU can ignore and wait for more symptoms or a no start situation or whatever..... or, you can go have your a load test to see if you need battery replacement....

As for JSCAN, if you want to after addressing your possible hardware issue you decide you want something to deal with StopStart ..... push the ESS button for you to speak, then go with a SmartStopStart unit..... IF you want to address more the StopStart and wish to address ESS, tire size and LED's then buy a Tazer JL Mini.

I would never recommend JSCAN to someone that wants to deal with ESS. JSCAN dealing with ESS is laughable at best and that JSCAN way of dealing with ESS causes hiccups and can cause problems.

YES, I currently use JSCAN and have in the past used / had a Tazer JL. I know both quite well and I know when and when not to suggest either of them... I don't willy nilly, inappropriately spew to use either...

Iā€™ve been having ESS issues like many others. Question for youā€” my dealer has load tested my batteries the last two times Iā€™ve taken my JLUR in, and they say the batteries have passed the load test. Does this mean my batteries arenā€™t the problem? Thanks in advance!

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Iā€™ve been having ESS issues like many others. Question for youā€” my dealer has load tested my batteries the last two times Iā€™ve taken my JLUR in, and they say the batteries have passed the load test. Does this mean my batteries arenā€™t the problem? Thanks in advance!
@jespey

Well... the problem is some guys/gals are taking their JL into the dealership and the service dept. takes the vehicle for a few minutes or whatever and comes back and tells the JL owner they load tested the battery, checked all and all is ok... sad part is a load test of both batteries was actaully never done... Service writer / Tech just decide willy nilly the batteries are aok and this owner is just not driving his JL enough to charge up the batteries and that is why the ESS messages, etc..

With that said.... if your batteries are indeed aok/healthy then it probably is you just aren't driving the JL enough and thus the alternator is not having time to charge the batteries.

You might consider starting to use a 2 amp or 5 amp battery tender minder routinely and see if this has a positive impact on your ESS issues.. (you did not mention what the issues are)

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2019 KL, 2020 JT

- Ben
Make sure your main battery cables are tight, especially the negative cables as they seem to loosen up over time. I'm not sure if the aux battery helps with an auto stop restart as it does with a cold start. A loose cable might be why a single battery restart fails, but the dual battery restart works.

jespey

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR White; 2021 Ford Bronco Sport Badlands
@jespey

Well... the problem is some guys/gals are taking their JL into the dealership and the service dept. takes the vehicle for a few minutes or whatever and comes back and tells the JL owner they load tested the battery, checked all and all is ok... sad part is a load test of both batteries was actaully never done... Service writer / Tech just decide willy nilly the batteries are aok and this owner is just not driving his JL enough to charge up the batteries and that is why the ESS messages, etc..

With that said.... if your batteries are indeed aok/healthy then it probably is you just aren't driving the JL enough and thus the alternator is not having time to charge the batteries.

You might consider starting to use a 2 amp or 5 amp battery tender minder routinely and see if this has a positive impact on your ESS issues.. (you did not mention what the issues are)
Thanks. Iā€™ve driven 20 miles on I95 with no a/c, and the ESS didnā€™t engage when I stopped at the light on the exit ramp. Weā€˜ll be doing a 200 mile one way trip soon so I will see what happens. Thanks again.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks. Iā€™ve driven 20 miles on I95 with no a/c, and the ESS didnā€™t engage when I stopped at the light on the exit ramp. Weā€˜ll be doing a 200 mile one way trip soon so I will see what happens. Thanks again.
@jespey

Your JLU sitting there doing nothing sees parasitic 12v draw.. Sitting there in the heat of Florida is no plus either... IF, you drive little then batteries have no drive time to be recharged by the alternator.

20 miles driving time on on I-4 or I-95, etc. are not going to be enough to see your batteries topped off or to bring them up at all... Yes, 200 miles and if the batteries are healthy then they will have time to be brought up to snuff...

Also... you are in Florida heat....... read below, especially what I made bold..

About Stop Start not ready:
. Driver ā€™s seat belt is not buckled.
ā€¢ Driver ā€™s door is not closed. 6
ā€¢ Battery temperature is too warm or cold.
ā€¢ Battery charge is low.
ā€¢ The vehicle is on a steep grade.
ā€¢ Cabin heating or cooling is in process and an acceptable cabin temperature has not been achieved.
ā€¢ HVAC is set to full defrost mode at a high blower speed. ā€¢ HVAC set to MAX A/C.
ā€¢ Engine has not reached normal operating temperature. ā€¢ The transmission is not in a forward gear.
ā€¢ Hood is open.
ā€¢ Transfer case is in 4LO or Neutral
ā€¢ Brake pedal is not pressed with sufficient pressure.
Other Factors Which Can Inhibit Autostop Include:
ā€¢ Accelerator pedal input.
ā€¢ Engine temp too high.
ā€¢ Vehicle speed threshold not achieved from previous auto-stop (2 mph (3 km/h) BSG, 5 mph (8 km/h) ESS
ā€¢ Steering angle beyond threshold.
ā€¢ ACC is on and speed is set.
ā€¢ Vehicle is at high altitude
ā€¢ System fault present
ā€¢ Low fuel is detected
It may be possible for the vehicle to be driven several times without the STOP/START system going into a STOP/ START READY state under more extreme conditions.
Sponsored