Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2019 KL, 2020 JT
@jespey

Well... the problem is some guys/gals are taking their JL into the dealership and the service dept. takes the vehicle for a few minutes or whatever and comes back and tells the JL owner they load tested the battery, checked all and all is ok... sad part is a load test of both batteries was actaully never done... Service writer / Tech just decide willy nilly the batteries are aok and this owner is just not driving his JL enough to charge up the batteries and that is why the ESS messages, etc..

With that said.... if your batteries are indeed aok/healthy then it probably is you just aren't driving the JL enough and thus the alternator is not having time to charge the batteries.

You might consider starting to use a 2 amp or 5 amp battery tender minder routinely and see if this has a positive impact on your ESS issues.. (you did not mention what the issues are)
I insisted on the actual print outs from the battery tester to verify my batteries were actually tested. When they didn't provide the print out for the aux battery, I had them retest it.
Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
I insisted on the actual print outs from the battery tester to verify my batteries were actually tested. When they didn't provide the print out for the aux battery, I had them retest it.
@Jebiruph

You are obviously a wise, savvy frigging prick like I am.... :rock:

Show me the proof that you did it asshat is my go to rule. 8-)

OP
OP
YenBoon

YenBoon

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
@YenBoon

You started this thread and mentioned you had an issue.... I asked for more info.... do you have a CEL, a StopStart issue/message, etc., and you provided a tad... a tiny bit of information...

@mwilk012,...... alluded to you.... you probably have a hardware issue.... you have had a symptom of same occur... apparently twice you mentioned later.

YOU, have this notion it seems that since you keep ESS turned off "90 of the time" that you have a free pass ...

.... well I'm unsure of what you think, but having ESS turned on or off 90% does not give you a free pass so to speak in regard to hardware/battery related issues..

Then, you mention Tazer in passing, and the conversation has JSCAN introduced (suggested) into it by a forum member which makes absolutely no sense at all in regard to your issue..... and is actually pointing you down the wrong road.... a dis-service to you in regard to your issue.

YOU, undoubtedly have a hardware/battery related issue. YOU can ignore and wait for more symptoms or a no start situation or whatever..... or, you can go have a load test to see if you need battery replacement....

IF after addressing your possible hardware issue you decide you want something to deal with StopStart ..... something that pushes the ESS button for you to speak, then go with a @SmartStopStart.com unit..... IF you want to address more then StopStart and wish to address StopStart, tire size , LED's and more.. then buy a Tazer JL Mini.

I would never recommend JSCAN to someone that wants to deal with ESS. (StopStart).. JSCAN dealing with ESS is laughable at best and that JSCAN way of dealing with ESS causes hiccups and can cause problems.

YES, I currently use JSCAN and have in the past used / had a Tazer JL. I know both quite well and I know when and when not to suggest either of them... I don't willy nilly, inappropriately spew to use either...
YOU asked if there were any messages/codes displayed. I directly answered that and told YOU exactly what was displayed. I also mentioned this happened at a red light so I didn't have the luxury to check all messages and assess for other problems.

MWilk012 did allude to a hardware issue. I mentioned I had a different "ESS problem" come up in the past. That was a dash light. This was the actual engine stalling out. Not the same symptom IMO.

I only mentioned the "off 90% of the time" part so people could know that I'm not running ESS around the clock/possibly putting wear and tear on a component.

...I never said anything about a free pass. I don't know why YOU assumed that...

Thank YOU for pointing out the other forum member did a dis-service to me regarding recommending the JSCAN app. I won't hold it against them though because they were only trying to help. There's also nothing wrong with looking into other options and being open minded when trying to find a solution to a problem.

Thank YOU for pointing out the undoubted hardware issue. Thank YOU for recommending the battery load test. I literally started this thread asking how to check. Since you claim bringing in the JL for a battery load test at the dealership is pointless, I'll look into getting it done elsewhere.

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
Thank YOU for pointing out the other forum member did a dis-service to me regarding recommending the JSCAN app. I won't hold it against them though because they were only trying to help. There's also nothing wrong with looking into other options and being open minded when trying to find a solution to a problem.
I’m guessing Im the one that may have done you a dis -service on recommending JSCAN but I never said JSCAN alone for ESS I said pair it with a Smart Stop/Start module, I’m guessing I should have been more clear on why I said pair the two.

Tazer and Smart Stop/Start both have the corner market on disabling ESS and my guess is it’s a trademarked process or JSCAN would adopt the same.

JSCAN does have the ability to do it but it’s far from what the other two do as it has you disable a hood switch and then all it does is turn off the EVIC warning and in disabling the hood switch remote start no longer works.

As I said sorry for the confusion but I should have went further to explain why instead of just saying pair it with a Smart Stop/Start module and my reply to you was only because you advised you were looking to get a Tazer and I figured I would offer up a more cost effective option by the combination of both Tazer and JSCAN, this also by no means addresses why your JL had a meltdown during an ESS event and I also need to remember that lots run with the crappy factory batteries that have and still do fail along with other things like loose cables, IBS issues, not having a acceptable charge due to not driving enough etc….

I currently run what I suggested and have ZERO issues with ESS or anything else but I also use a different battery setup and conduct regular scheduled upkeep on both my full size batteries.

Cheers
Sponsored

Last edited: