Dashcam wiring using Aux switches - revisit

pnut

First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler 392 XR
I've seen multiple posts in my search suggesting to use the aux switches to provide power for the dashcam.

Is the suggestion to actually use the switch to turn on the dashcam (ie - use up one of the switches for the dashcam so the switch can't be used for anything else), or to just use the actual wiring to tap into (meaning you can still use the switch for something else, this is just a handy place to tie into known wiring for full hot / ign hot?

Thanks in advance.
Planning to go with a Blackvue DR-900x 2 channel
Sponsored

NJJeep Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Hella Yella JLU
In the wire bundle in the cabin is a separate hot wire you can use without tying up a switch button. I don't remember if it is a switched hot or always on

MauiSteve

First Name
Stephen Rodgers
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 2 door, 2018 Colorado ZR2, 2009 Honda Ruckus, 1973 Honda CB750
Occupation
Mostly retired
I think it’s switched with ignition.

Wkaz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara
In the wire bundle in the cabin is a separate hot wire you can use without tying up a switch button. I don't remember if it is a switched hot or always on
Thats a nice tidbit, now to just figure out all the plastic on the roll bar comes off to run a wire up to the mirror.

AirportDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUXR, 2018 GC Trailhawk Hemi
Occupation
Aeronautics Professional
I think it’s switched with ignition.
In the 2018's, there are both switched and battery 10 amp power leads under the glove box. Not sure if this the case for other years. I used the Ignition lead to power my Garmin Dashcam- ran the wire up behind the front door weatherstrip, then tipped the windshield forward to run the lead along the header to the camera next to the rear view mirror. No need to remove any trim!

Jeep Wrangler JL Dashcam wiring using Aux switches - revisit Screen Shot 2020-12-28 at 4.04.59 PM

Sponsored

G13

First Name
Shundo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6
I have Blackvue DR900s-2ch with battery packs. My 2020 has both ignition (switched) and battery (constant power), and I connected battery packs to ignition wire.

It all depending on what you want to do. If you just want the camera to work while engine is running, connect the camera to ignition so that camera would turn on and off with ignition. If you want it to be running while parked, you have to either get Power Magic Pro (this device will shut off the camera after set hours or battery voltage drops to set voltage), or battery packs (Power Magic Battery) and battery will be charged while driving and camera runs as long as there is juice in the battery packs. Power Magic Pro uses both ignition and battery wires, and battery packs connect to ignition wire to charge only the ignition is on.

I chose battery pack setup because Power Magic Pro setup was making battery weak (when I had Grand Cherokee). Blackvue Battery Pack comes with a switch positions for Off, Hardwire, and Cigarette socket (yes, you can connect it to the socket to charge, but slower charging). I have batteries under passenger seat.

OP
OP
pnut

pnut

First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler 392 XR
I have Blackvue DR900s-2ch with battery packs. My 2020 has both ignition (switched) and battery (constant power), and I connected battery packs to ignition wire.

It all depending on what you want to do. If you just want the camera to work while engine is running, connect the camera to ignition so that camera would turn on and off with ignition. If you want it to be running while parked, you have to either get Power Magic Pro (this device will shut off the camera after set hours or battery voltage drops to set voltage), or battery packs (Power Magic Battery) and battery will be charged while driving and camera runs as long as there is juice in the battery packs. Power Magic Pro uses both ignition and battery wires, and battery packs connect to ignition wire to charge only the ignition is on.

I chose battery pack setup because Power Magic Pro setup was making battery weak (when I had Grand Cherokee). Blackvue Battery Pack comes with a switch positions for Off, Hardwire, and Cigarette socket (yes, you can connect it to the socket to charge, but slower charging). I have batteries under passenger seat.
Thank you I’ll look at the battery packs. The new 900x apparently makes the power magic pro not necessary but I can’t remember from the YouTube video I watched why, and if I still need the battery pack.

Will the 900x run down the battery if I run full hot to be able to use the function and turn on video when parked anytime from the app or when it feels a bump (or with motion if you set it up for this)? I’ve read conflicting information on this.

G13

First Name
Shundo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6
Thank you I’ll look at the battery packs. The new 900x apparently makes the power magic pro not necessary but I can’t remember from the YouTube video I watched why, and if I still need the battery pack.

Will the 900x run down the battery if I run full hot to be able to use the function and turn on video when parked anytime from the app or when it feels a bump (or with motion if you set it up for this)? I’ve read conflicting information on this.
You are welcome.
Blackvue website states that 900x has built in Voltage Monitor to protect vehicles’ battery, so you are right that you don’t need Power Magic Pro. I was using Power Magic Pro to keep the camera running overnight, then camera started shutting off in the middle of night, and I found that vehicle battery was getting weak. I use battery packs since then. Thinking of all the problems with batteries on JL, I thought it would be safer to stick with battery packs.

NJJeep Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Hella Yella JLU
If you pull the trim there are members who have posted pics of the install before. Just click the search tool

Ruby Clatterbox

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 dr. Willy's
Check Casey 250 on YouTube. He has an installation video on the Blackvue 2 camera setup. I bought one (900x 2 channel) and found it will only run about 8 hrs on the Jeep battery in parking mode before it shuts off at my 12v setpoint. I do have it set at highest quality which eats more current tho...

Sponsored

OP
OP
pnut

pnut

First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler 392 XR
Check Casey 250 on YouTube. He has an installation video on the Blackvue 2 camera setup. I bought one (900x 2 channel) and found it will only run about 8 hrs on the Jeep battery in parking mode before it shuts off at my 12v setpoint. I do have it set at highest quality which eats more current tho...
This was perfect thanks. I see in the video there are full hot and ign hot wires to tap into which is what I was looking for.

offcamber

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2014 Grand Cherokee Limited Ecodiesel
In the 2018's, there are both switched and battery 10 amp power leads under the glove box. Not sure if this the case for other years. I used the Ignition lead to power my Garmin Dashcam- ran the wire up behind the front door weatherstrip, then tipped the windshield forward to run the lead along the header to the camera next to the rear view mirror. No need to remove any trim!

Jeep Wrangler JL Dashcam wiring using Aux switches - revisit Screen Shot 2020-12-28 at 4.04.59 PM
Do you have to do anything to enable them ? My under hood aux wires work but I don't seem to be getting power to those under the dash...

KenPewPew

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLR Granite Crystal, 24 JLUR Anvil
Occupation
Twubblemaker
I just recently had a cam installed in my Jeep - I am using Nextbase cam from an UK company. The car kit that comes with it should allow you to set the cam in a way that it is hot wired BUT not turned on constantly even when you are not driving your Jeep. It should turn on only if it detects vibration or movement to the Jeep (is something is trying to climb on your Jeep or was messing with your Jeep). Make sure that if your cam have such capability (most cam does) that the technician wired I. A way that the cam is not on all the time even when it is hot wired.

In my experiences of using my cam for a few months, - I installed it that way so that my Jeep will start recording when someone is climbing onto my Jeep when the top is off - then I realized that people can just steal my camera and I decided to lock my cam away when I am parked with my top off. Unless you are really going to use the motion detector to activate your cam, I suggest that you install it in a way that your cam will turn on only when you are driving.

IMO wiring a cam to AUX switched could be redundant as you might not want the cam to turn on only after you activate the switches. In the rare occurances when you need you camera off, you can always manually switch it off. Wiring it to and Aux switch might cause the cam to not automatically record just in case if you deactivate the switch. :like:
Sponsored