Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Diesel, 1972 Arctic Cat Climber, 2006 Triumph Speed Triple
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Gentleman Explorer
Not sure about Sport, but the '21 Rubicons come with Off-Road+ button that changes throttle, traction control, transmission, & maybe some other settings in 4H & 4L.

'21 is also available with the front camera.

Petey

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jl sport manual
2021 has redesigned cast iron steering box, not the aluminum one that is on the 2019 (unless you've had TSB done?)
I was wondering ..if the aluminum ones might be fixable? Has anyone done this?

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
I was wondering ..if the aluminum ones might be fixable? Has anyone done this?
It's still aluminum regardless of what goes in it :(

Sponsored

DavidArmen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
I pulled the trigger on a 2019 3.6 because I did not want the etorque in the 2020. It's just added complexity for more things to go wrong plus more money. I use my tazer to disable the ESS anyway so it's of no use to me.
The ESS is unbelievably faster and smoother and almost unnoticeable in vehicles that have etorque. I was a hater of ESS also, just like you and many others here, but with the 2021 3.6 etorque, it is a completely different ball game. number one, you do not use a basic starter to start the engine but a separate motor generator unit which makes the start stop sequence pretty much unnoticeable (no passenger in my car has noticed it without me telling them in the two months I’ve had the jeep). number two, it stops the engine in specific times with the pistons being in specific locations which makes the restart extremely smooth. Number three, it uses a separate, much better chemistry battery mounted in the back of the jeep for better weight distribution and gets rid of the crappy, badly located, constantly dying aux battery.

Petey

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jl sport manual
It's still aluminum regardless of what goes in it :(
Quite frankly thats exactly the reason I don't want mine replaced because the weight savings...I know its somewhat negligible .. but ur trading in for a cheaper (though stronger) material. I bought a JL with an aluminum box and quite frankly that what should be replaced with not some consolation prize. As far as I know they don't replace them because they crack but because of the internals. I went to check the steering output shaft as too see how much movement loss there is between the input into the box and the pitman arm...needless to say its quite a bit in my opinion... this wouldn't fly on other makes of cars as far as I know.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Quite frankly thats exactly the reason I don't want mine replaced because the weight savings...I know its somewhat negligible .. but ur trading in for a cheaper (though stronger) material. I bought a JL with an aluminum box and quite frankly that what should be replaced with not some consolation prize. As far as I know they don't replace them because they crack but because of the internals. I went to check the steering output shaft as too see how much movement loss there is between the input into the box and the pitman arm...needless to say its quite a bit in my opinion... this wouldn't fly on other makes of cars as far as I know.
One of the main problems w/ the Aluminum box is the play in the steering at high temps, this isn't something that the cast iron unit should be prone to.

Petey

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jl sport manual
One of the main problems w/ the Aluminum box is the play in the steering at high temps, this isn't something that the cast iron unit should be prone to.
Interesting I didn't think of this way . Is it possible that the originals were under such high heat stress? Mine has loose gearing even cold and actually (feels like) it gets a little less sloppy over long drive ( this might be in my head though)

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
If it resulted in 0.25 lbs in weight savings —and $0.25 in cost savings— Fiat would make the steering boxes out of polenta ...

Fiat testing latest steering box TSB
Jeep Wrangler JL 2019 vs 2021 any subtle differences? 1606302384068

Sponsored

TJJL19

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Unlimited Sport
i'm in luck, in that my dealer is going to replace the steering box on my 2019 JLU

BrntWS6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS, 2002 WS6
The ESS is unbelievably faster and smoother and almost unnoticeable in vehicles that have etorque. I was a hater of ESS also, just like you and many others here, but with the 2021 3.6 etorque, it is a completely different ball game. number one, you do not use a basic starter to start the engine but a separate motor generator unit which makes the start stop sequence pretty much unnoticeable (no passenger in my car has noticed it without me telling them in the two months I’ve had the jeep). number two, it stops the engine in specific times with the pistons being in specific locations which makes the restart extremely smooth. Number three, it uses a separate, much better chemistry battery mounted in the back of the jeep for better weight distribution and gets rid of the crappy, badly located, constantly dying aux battery.
I liked the EES for a time. But certain situations it would activate when I did not want it to so I got tired of it. Like getting ready to turn left and push the brake down a bit too far. Car turns off and if I have to go quick I miss my window. That may me improved like you mentioned but I have nothing to compare it to. But it was never how smooth it was or lack thereof that bothered me.

I am not sure if there is any additional gas savings with the etorque over the non etorque. I am guessing probably not. But the etorque option also adds 80lbs.

JandS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4xe | Exige S | R wagon | V Wagon | MB S65