anyone makes a lower temp thermostat ?

Fire Burns

First Name
Fire
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR 3.6; 2006 Chrysler 300c SRT-8
I have a 2006 Chrysler 300c SRT-8. Yep, the big fast 6.1L V8. Back in the day, one of the most common and very first mods owners were doing was replacing their 210 thermostat with a 190 one (my numbers might be off a bit). I think the conversion cost about $12 but yielded SIGNIFICANTLY higher horsepower and certainly better drivability, which I experienced firsthand. This was a well known mod and I could definitely feel the seat of the pants difference. Seems that FCA pulled engine timing once the thermostat opened due to higher temps while hoping to stave off or eliminate pinging in these high-compression performance motors. Also likely was that FCA at the time was getting their advertised HP and torque numbers on a relatively cold engine.

Moral of the story? Well, I'm not a Jeep engineer and I don't know how they've tuned our JLs, but I can say that its not above FCA to intentionally retard timing on a very hot engine to lessen the chance of detonation, especially on a high compression JL, such as the 3.6L. Also, they're willing to let those engines run super hot for emissions purposes. So, while it would be speculation on my part that FCA has done this for sure with the JL, its not speculation that they've done this in the past.

In short, it sounds like a great idea to me to try a slightly lower thermostat to see the results, which may actually be a net positive. The OP, and really the JL community in general, has little to lose to give this mod a shot. .
Sponsored

Last edited:

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
I dont know what im doing, i know places that are hotter than kuwait in the US, people are assuming i want to lower the overall temp, some replies are you will lower you temp so much its going to mess the electronics, some are saying it wont lower anything, if the radiator and fan have enough cooling capacity then i will be able to maintain 180, if it does not then il be back at 203.
You're failing to understand the basic principles of thermodynamics. If you are concerned about hot weather causing temperatures that far exceed the normal range, no thermostat setpoint would help you. A thermostat delays / reduces cooling when temperature is low. Once it is open, it's open.

OP
OP
garkoi

garkoi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL Unlimited
You're failing to understand the basic principles of thermodynamics. If you are concerned about hot weather causing temperatures that far exceed the normal range, no thermostat setpoint would help you. A thermostat delays / reduces cooling when temperature is low. Once it is open, it's open.
you're failing to read the entire thread, decided to pick a single post and comment about thermodynamics, The cooling capacity on my jeep is running as "Designed" its keeping temps at 203 at idle, its working, there is nothing wrong with it in cold winters and hot summers its maintaining 203, I dont like it, i want me jeep to run cooler in the 160-180 range, why ? because i prefer it that way, better or worse i want it to run at a cooler temp, so back to thermodynamics, the thermostat and the cooling capacity of the system is able to keep the car at 203 at idle, will it have the capacity to cool it and maintain it at 180 ? i dont know, no one here knows everyone is saying a bunch of stuff they have never tried first hand, as i said in a previous post, if it had enough cooling capacity il be able to maintain 180 idle temps, if it didnt then it will open and stay open, 160-180-200 doesn't matter does it.

OP
OP
garkoi

garkoi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
are we at maximum capacity ?

Sponsored

Revolution_322

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JL Rubi White
The fueling and high compression is why it runs hot. I’ve done this mod on the ol’ 4.0 liters but i would probably advise against dicking around with the stat on this one. It sounds to me like you have the 2.0 correct?

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
you're failing to read the entire thread, decided to pick a single post and comment about thermodynamics, The cooling capacity on my jeep is running as "Designed" its keeping temps at 203 at idle, its working, there is nothing wrong with it in cold winters and hot summers its maintaining 203, I dont like it, i want me jeep to run cooler in the 160-180 range, why ? because i prefer it that way, better or worse i want it to run at a cooler temp, so back to thermodynamics, the thermostat and the cooling capacity of the system is able to keep the car at 203 at idle, will it have the capacity to cool it and maintain it at 180 ? i dont know, no one here knows everyone is saying a bunch of stuff they have never tried first hand, as i said in a previous post, if it had enough cooling capacity il be able to maintain 180 idle temps, if it didnt then it will open and stay open, 160-180-200 doesn't matter does it.
Again, it seems you want something unreasonable for no apparent reason.

are we at maximum capacity ?
You don't get it. What you are suggesting would actually reduce the rate of heat dispersion by lowering the differential temperature across the radiator. The driving force for the exchange of energy is the difference in temperature.

OP
OP
garkoi

garkoi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The fueling and high compression is why it runs hot. I’ve done this mod on the ol’ 4.0 liters but i would probably advise against dicking around with the stat on this one. It sounds to me like you have the 2.0 correct?
3.6, we dont get anything else.

Why not spend the time just trying it rather than posting about it here? Then we'll all know for sure. :idea:

I doubt you'll seriously screw up anything...might throw a few codes at worst and you'll have to change it back....but you should know if it worked relatively quickly.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained.
thats the plan. i just wanted to know if any brand sold one so i can order it, but everyone decided to discuss why i would do such a thing instead of telling me that no one does yet.

Obi.Wan.Shawnobi

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gobi Tan 4Xe Rubicon
Occupation
Elevator Techinician.
I drove in the high desert a few weeks ago. the temps started to get high but as soon as i got over the grade, the temps dropped down very quickly.

BlackGenesis

First Name
Andrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Sahara unlimited
What is your reasoning exactly besides "it should be colder"?
Keep engine spikes in temps down and improve oil wear protection and eliminate engine pulling timing.

I would be concern with oil temps if your water temps spike to 250F.

Ideal oil temp is around 230F for oil. At 270F oil temp, some oils will have significant drop in ware protection. 5w30 Mobile 1 Synthetic drop in wear protection- 36%. 0w20 Mobile EP Synthetic is quite abit worce at normal temps.

Engenders did not design Jeep to handle well exteem hot or hard use.

Sponsored

beaups

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL
Keep engine spikes in temps down and improve oil wear protection and eliminate engine pulling timing.

I would be concern with oil temps if your water temps spike to 250F.

Ideal oil temp is around 230F for oil. At 270F oil temp, some oils will have significant drop in ware protection. 5w30 Mobile 1 Synthetic drop in wear protection- 36%. 0w20 Mobile EP Synthetic is quite abit worce at normal temps.

Engenders did not design Jeep to handle well exteem hot or hard use.
Oil temps are easily measurable and not really germane to the conversation. Logic tells us that changing out a thermostat will have no impact on extreme temps, as any thermostat will remain wide open when the system is taxed, regardless of how bad the jeep "engenders" are.

Thinman

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2019 Rebel 12 and...... a 2012 Prius
I dont think you are going to get a sub 200* idle, but exceeding 240* often is no good. The overheat message turns on at 250*.

How about dust and/or mud in the radiator and fan? I caked the hell out of mine and thought I had cleaned it out, only to end up overheating on a hot day climbing an incline.

Once I got it cleanup good, I tested on the same incline on an even hotter day and didn't hit 230+ for more then a second as the super turbine fan kicked on right at 230 I believe. Pushed it right down under 220* as I was still climbing hard.

m3reno

First Name
Sal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler JLU
When I had my mustang I used a slightly cooler thermostat but we also drilled a 7/64 hole along the outer ring. The reason for the hole was to allow for cooler coolant to enter the engine block but also help with air pockets. The dedicated track cars used a much cooler thermostat. Going with a too cold thermostat would create thermal issues with part of the engine block being too cold. I would probably try to get a thermostat that was about a ten degree difference and see how that works
Sponsored