OP
OP
garkoi

garkoi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL Unlimited
Who said the radiator ever hits 210 ever, let alone constantly? Have you measured the radiator temp? Have you even located the sender that drives the dash temp? Obviously it's your prerogative to go re-engineering things willy nilly, but I'd think understanding what is going on first would be beneficial.
You mean this thing ? Plugged into the thermostat housing ?
Jeep Wrangler JL anyone makes a lower temp thermostat ? 079D63DB-EF57-4107-8E5A-BED9C2C05D8A

Jeep Wrangler JL anyone makes a lower temp thermostat ? CEE77C04-DDB6-491A-A91E-CBD6D873E380
Sponsored

OP
OP
garkoi

garkoi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL Unlimited
I think the OP's premise is that FCA doesn't know what they're doing and the entire forum's response is: ok, but what makes you think you know what you're doing? A valid question.

The Wrangler had to be designed for some serious temps considering it's used off-roads in deserts in the US. It's not like the Gulf is the only place that gets hot. Maybe our friends in Arizona can chime in here.
I dont know what im doing, i know places that are hotter than kuwait in the US, people are assuming i want to lower the overall temp, some replies are you will lower you temp so much its going to mess the electronics, some are saying it wont lower anything, if the radiator and fan have enough cooling capacity then i will be able to maintain 180, if it does not then il be back at 203.

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
In my opinion if a vehicle is going to overheat, a lower temperature thermostat can only delay the inevitable (unless the JL happens to need more flow than the thermostat could deliver). OP might want to try just removing the thermostat completely for testing.

Also I believe that my 2.0 has a 190* thermostat, as it will show 192* on the gauge in cooler months.

For additional cooling, personally I would try the JT's 850W heavy duty fan and grill openings. https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/forum/threads/heavy-duty-cooling.18923/

JimLee

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU
You're not an engineer. You are wrong.
Thats absolutely not the tack that I am taking, no engineer worship here, in fact one of my responsibilities at work is herding engineers and keeping them from destroying/damaging our customer's (US military) aircraft. I just know that modern computerized engines expect to see a minimum temp under certain conditions, if the vehicle isnt making those temps it will try and make up for those temps, like for instance idling up to reach an operaing temp or adjusting timing to compensate for what the computer thinks is a disparity in expected temps. Those parameters are mostly unknown to those of us that work on our jeeps, however people who do tunes have figured them out. On a vehicle with variable valve timing I would be concerned about the engine constantly trying to adjust for a condition that I created to the point that something gets damaged. Maybe the computer will stop itself before damage is done, maybe it won't, im not willing to take the risk on my JL. I think for a thermostat temp change to have any long term positive effect it would need to be accompanied by an aftermarket tune, but that's just my opinion. If the OP is willing to risk his engine, i say go for it, ill be watching interested to see the results.

Last edited:

wolf

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
On my third Rubicon(2dr's 2020, 2015 jetta diesel/2013 mb
Occupation
retired
Your "taste" is irrelevant in modern vehicles, changing the thermostat temps will send the vehicles computer (the only opinion that matters) into a fit, good luck with all those check engine lights...
Agree! leave it alone. It's fine.

Sponsored

JimLee

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU
In my opinion if a vehicle is going to overheat, a lower temperature thermostat can only delay the inevitable (unless the JL happens to need more flow than the thermostat could deliver). OP might want to try just removing the thermostat completely for testing.

Also I believe that my 2.0 has a 190* thermostat, as it will show 192* on the gauge in cooler months.

For additional cooling, personally I would try the JT's 850W heavy duty fan and grill openings. https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/forum/threads/heavy-duty-cooling.18923/
Has anyone posted about whether that fan fits into a JL yet, ive been curious? This is something I would definitely look into, i live 30 miles away from literally the hottest place on the planet, death valley.

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
Thats absolutely not the tack that I am taking, no engineer worship here, in fact one of my responsibilities at work is herding engineers and keeping them from destroying/damaging our customer's (US military) aircraft. I just know that modern computerized engines expect to see a minimum temp under certain conditions, if the vehicle isnt making those temps it will try and make up for those temps, like for instance idling up to reach an opening temp or adjusting timing to compensate for what the computer thinks is a disparity in expected temps. Those parameters are mostly unknown to those of us that work on our jeeps, however people who do tunes have figured them out. On a vehicle with variable valve timing I would be concerned about the engine constantly trying to adjust for a condition that I created to the point that something gets damaged. Maybe the computer will stop itself before damage is done, maybe it won't, im not willing to take the risk on my JL. I think for a thermostat temp change to have any long term positive effect it would need to be accompanied by an aftermarket tune, but that's just my opinion. If the OP is willing to risk his engine, i say go for it, ill be watching interested to see the results.
If the JL tune is like other vehicles I've worked on, it would be designed to get the catalytic converter & engine up to operating temperature as quickly as possible by adjusting the mixture (enrichment tune). If the engine never gets to the operating temperature threshold it could continue on the enrichment tune, which could damage the catalytic converter and decrease the gas mileage. Also it could make the oil take longer to get to operating temperature, which could increase wear.

Of course none of this is probably an issue if it's 140* outside.

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
Has anyone posted about whether that fan fits into a JL yet, ive been curious? This is something I would definitely look into, i live 30 miles away from literally the hottest place on the planet, death valley.
I think I recall a 3.6 ESS member using it somewhere on the forum. Unsure about the other models.

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
yall are on a good one on this dude. its just a t-stat. my old trucks i take them out and toss them. no need in Crapufornia summer temps into the 120 and winter lowest is 30's no reason. then again zero computer on my trucks.

any ways have you tried to find one for a Jeep JK with the 3.6? riPP was making them for running it with their Super chagersystems. do note that most the people running a 180 noted to make adjustments to the fan programming

https://www.quadratec.com/products/51111_0101_14.htm
LOL, running no thermostat is a terrible idea, even in warmer climates. You’re keeping the oil from coming up to temperature for significantly longer, which speeds up the wear process and could lead to early failures.

Sponsored

beaups

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL
You mean this thing ? Plugged into the thermostat housing ?
079D63DB-EF57-4107-8E5A-BED9C2C05D8A.jpeg

CEE77C04-DDB6-491A-A91E-CBD6D873E380.png
And how does 220 degrees on the head-side of the thermostat translate into a 220 degree radiator? And how would a 220 degree radiator temp (that doesn't exist) turn into a 220 degree ambient temp for the fan?

rubileon

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR RHD 3.6
Ever since i got my license i have had issues with cars over heating, the whole country does its either over heating or the ac condenser is too small, i think its 1995 where chevy stopped exporting cars to us with "gulf" Specs we had bigger radiators, lower thermostats, and bigger fans, thats when we started seeing issues and we began using lower thermostats and aux fans. Getting off work and into ur car at 2pm after ur car has been baking in the sun for 7 hours in 140+ Temps measured in the shade, the interior is 200+ and the engine bay is as hot, driving it in traffic back home is a nightmare that we all live through, the condenser is heat soaked, some condensor fans are at their thermal limit already and short cycle. And those without it had relays melt or burned fan motors, the jl keeps it under control as opposed to the jk where it overheated and the ac

As mentioned before i work with electricity and electronics and some air conditioning, any motor, cpu ic or any electronic component Isnt built to withstand these temps and nearing 99c or 210f we have a thermal shutdown, the engine might be built to withstand that range but i seriously doubt everything in the engine bay is designed to withstand 210+ temps, so the reasons may vary from person to person but in the end cooler engine temps are better at least for me, i rather have it at idle at 180 than 203 which is its current temp, might be bad might burn more fuel, but again il never know till i try and its a simple job to not try it.

The cooling fans are electric motors, just look up how hot should an electric motor run ? If the radiator is at 210+ constantly and the fan is pulling that heat towards it, its not going to live for long. Unless the engineers at jeep found a way to build a dc motor that can work in 210+ ambient then a little cooler temps at idle will help.

So 180 thermostat and test it, if it levels off around 180 then all good, if it doesnt then then a 300$ gladiator 800w fan is the next step with a bypass switch and call it done.
Have you tried removing the underhood insulation? Makes it run much cooler but only when moving.

Bearded_Dragon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito! Rubicon
I had a colder thermostat in one of my other cars (previous owner installed it). Driving on the highway home on nights below 50°F I'd get an engine code that said something like, "coolant threshold below operation condition." I'm sure you could tune that code out, just something to think about if you experience it in your testing.

Lapis

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon Ocean Blue
the 2.0t comes with the 850W fan, not sure what parts it would take to attach it to the radiator on the 3.6l, but it should be do-able
Sponsored