Synergy Jeep JL / JLU / JT Front Track Bar and Sector Shaft Brace

Windshieldfarmer

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU, 2020 JlU on order
I’m going to mark mine With paint to track if it starts rotating. I’m concerned that will happen since I had to press mine out and align properly. Not sure a reseated bearing will stay put...we shall see.
Sponsored

DCBlake

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
I’m going to mark mine With paint to track if it starts rotating. I’m concerned that will happen since I had to press mine out and align properly. Not sure a reseated bearing will stay put...we shall see.
I did same thing this time... As a matter of fact i went ahead and marked every bolt, screw, etc. to make sure i know if anything has moved... I want to be sure i don't see the pitman nut moving...

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
As much as I would like for it to, my guess is it will not stay put over time--especially if the grease runs low.

kimmonia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon, 2018 Ford Explorer
this thread has been equal parts informative, then entertaining, then hilarity, then informative. Thanks fellow Jeep lovers.

Sponsored

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
A rule of thumb for a pressed in bushing is not not reuse it if it needs to be pressed back out or it falls out/spins in the parent bushing. It loses outer dimension resulting in a weaker pressed fit. Once a wearable bushing spins in the parent, it's never the same. Sounds like they should've aimed for a heavier interference fit.

My brace is still in the box waiting for install time. I might put this off until I can spare the time to spin up my own design. A heavier interference coupled with a proper grease channel.

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
A rule of thumb for a pressed in bushing is not not reuse it if it needs to be pressed back out or it falls out/spins in the parent bushing. It loses outer dimension resulting in a weaker pressed fit. Once a wearable bushing spins in the parent, it's never the same. Sounds like they should've aimed for a heavier interference fit.

My brace is still in the box waiting for install time. I might put this off until I can spare the time to spin up my own design. A heavier interference coupled with a proper grease channel.
I am not understanding why they did not use steel versus aluminum. They have two fairly soft metals there which means it would not take much for it to hose up. They also could have the grease zerk partially threaded into the bushing which would give a bit more resistance to spin. I would be interested in seeing what you come up with as an alternate design.

DCBlake

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon

Halstem1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
In searching around the various posts i found a post with this video in the Gladiator forum... Now i agree ahead of time on his disclaimer that you should be careful anytime you decide to attempt an adjustment to the steering box but it was quite interesting...

https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/...system-i-am-finally-happy-with-my-jeep.31671/
The guy that posted that (Brandon) has some interesting youtube videos. I've been watching them. I think... he is an engineer for the US government or something. He seems pretty knowledgeable on mechanics. I've heard of people adjusting their steering box. Is this what they are talking about? it seems like a simple fix for the the dead spot issues, assuming everything else had been addressed.

plex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Weekend keyboard mechanic and beer drinker
Vehicle Showcase
Another issue I have with this brace, is my local shops have been pushing this on almost every JL/JT they built or serviced. I don't know if it is the profit margin of this is high, or they genuinely believe this is a solution for all.

Here comes the problem, a lot of people go to offroad shops, because they don't want or simply can't wrench on their Jeep, not once in their life many have crawled down their Jeep and check things. Now imagine such a high maintenance item, how many of those JL owners even have a grease gun to begin with, let alone a press?

Sponsored

CptFloridaMan

First Name
Gabriel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport 2.0
Another issue I have with this brace, is my local shops have been pushing this on almost every JL/JT they built or serviced. I don't know if it is the profit margin of this is high, or they genuinely believe this is a solution for all.

Here comes the problem, a lot of people go to offroad shops, because they don't want or simply can't wrench on their Jeep, not once in their life many have crawled down their Jeep and check things. Now imagine such a high maintenance item, how many of
those JL owners even have a grease gun to begin with, let alone a press?
Man it’s the hype train on youtube.

I was interested in getting the brace but seeing the jk design and then the jl design it makes me wonder why didn’t implement a roller bearing instead.

Thank you jeepers for providing information and humor, and saving my money for a good track bar instead.

DCBlake

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon

Here comes the problem, a lot of people go to offroad shops, because they don't want or simply can't wrench on their Jeep, not once in their life many have crawled down their Jeep and check things. Now imagine such a high maintenance item, how many of those JL owners even have a grease gun to begin with, let alone a press?
Well and to add to that note they are pushing the Synergy Dual Durometer Bushings trackbar and since i had so much trouble with the sector brace I went back and looked at it more closely... It is stated no maintenance which i would love to believe but on the passenger side there's an allen screw there that i imagine is for locking the sleeve in place... From a distance i thought it was a grease fitting but once you zoom in you see it as a screw... Plus this will be using a teflon coating per their video and since i have had such a fun time with the sector brace i will pass on this one at least for now...

Jeep Wrangler JL Synergy Jeep JL / JLU / JT Front Track Bar and Sector Shaft Brace 1592359317368

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
I am not understanding why they did not use steel versus aluminum. They have two fairly soft metals there which means it would not take much for it to hose up. They also could have the grease zerk partially threaded into the bushing which would give a bit more resistance to spin. I would be interested in seeing what you come up with as an alternate design.
I would assume they choose aluminum over steel to keep it the weak link. If things were to turn soft brown, I'd rather have the aluminum bushing holder break than to transfer that energy into the frame and cause fracture cracks, etc.

I've always preferred a slightly oversized and deburred grease entrance hole in the wearable bushing. Minimizes any possible clogging.

If designed correctly, a parent bushing should have too thick of a wall for a zerk to reach the wearable bushing. On the chance that it's not, that would be a sad alternative to a properly sized bushing. I increase the interference fit when working the softer materials. It's a balancing act, depending on application, material, parent bushing thickness, and wearable bushing thickness that determines how heavy of a pressed fit it can handle.

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I would assume they choose aluminum over steel to keep it the weak link. If things were to turn soft brown, I'd rather have the aluminum bushing holder break than to transfer that energy into the frame and cause fracture cracks, etc.

I've always preferred a slightly oversized and deburred grease entrance hole in the wearable bushing. Minimizes any possible clogging.

If designed correctly, a parent bushing should have too thick of a wall for a zerk to reach the wearable bushing. On the chance that it's not, that would be a sad alternative to a properly sized bushing. I increase the interference fit when working the softer materials. It's a balancing act, depending on application, material, parent bushing thickness, and wearable bushing thickness that determines how heavy of a pressed fit it can handle.
Likely, but at the same time if the bushing is rotating inside, it should probably be pinned in place or use a longer threaded zerk to help stabilize it. The fact that Synergy is telling people who have a misaligned bushing to press it out, align, and reinsert is an issue. Typically, the average person would not have the tools/equipment to press a bushing and that they can means it has a very minimal press fit, which is another issue.

JLNYC227

First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sport
I installed the brace a week and about a 100 miles ago and it started to make noise as I turned the wheel. Regreased and will report back.
Sponsored