Sponsored

A simple warning about your poorly designed diff drain bolt.

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
In 2H the ring and pinion don't turn because of the FAD, but you do have movement in the driver axle, passenger inner stub axle, and the side and spider gears inside the differential. Bad things will still happen in 2H without gear oil.
I've wondered about that....how much lubrication do the side and spider gears need?

I always think of the gear oil as mostly protecting the r&p, carrier and pinion bearings.

I'd like to see a torture test of what exactly damage would occur in the JL setup. I'm not saying it'd survive just fine, I'm just curious
Sponsored

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

Have you looked at the d44 Jeep performance axels. 4900 for the new axel but comes with locked and what ever fearing you want supposedly better clearance and stronger than the rubi axels

wolfdog

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Yamaha FJR1300, 2021 JTO, 2018 JLU Sahara
Occupation
Maritime Artisan, Mayflower II
After seeing your great pics of your trip with open diffs you need locking diffs in your Sahara for what??? Oh, you to change the drain plug hole, I forgot! LOL

Go Jeep!!!

OP
OP
mgroeger

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
B/c he wanted them....and that's reason enough.
My friend it wasn't a want it became a need :)
To do the wheeling we want to we needed lockers. Can't wait to be back out in Moab. The Jeep does now have D44s, lockers, 3.5" lift and 37s, etc... We are ready for the next level :)

OP
OP
mgroeger

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
After seeing your great pics of your trip with open diffs you need locking diffs in your Sahara for what??? Oh, you to change the drain plug hole, I forgot! LOL

Go Jeep!!!
LOL
We learned so much wheeling that thing for over a year w/ that setup. It was a great learning experience that hopefully prepares us for the next level :)

Sponsored

wolfdog

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Yamaha FJR1300, 2021 JTO, 2018 JLU Sahara
Occupation
Maritime Artisan, Mayflower II
mgroeger, my comment was as a compliment for your trip/driving!

I agree with sean k... because you want them is all that's needed with Jeeps!

Go Jeep!!!

OP
OP
mgroeger

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
mgroeger, my comment was as a compliment for your trip/driving!

I agree with sean k... because you want them is all that's needed with Jeeps!

Go Jeep!!!
It's all good, I got what you were saying and thanks for the compliment :)

DVJeeper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL 4door
I damaged my drain plug yesterday and found your post through google search, if you don't have a diff skid get one right away! The front diff drain plug on the Rubi axle (I can't speak to non-rubi axles) is definitely a bad design. I got lucky and didn't rip it out all the way, but it did grind the plug down on rocks which damaged the threads on the plug and housing. Like the original poster I had no idea i did it at the time, I noticed a puddle of diff fluid under the Jeep this morning.

Here is a picture of the damaged plug and damaged threads on the plug. The diff housing threads were buggered up too.

I was able to carefuly re-tap the diff housing and tested the repair with the drain pug out of the rear axle (need to hit the dealership up for a new plug tomorrow. These plugs are tapered, you need to use a NPT 1/2-14 NPT tap, even though the bolt is way bigger than 1/2". NPT taps measure different then standard taps, someone with plumbing experience can probably explain why. I found a tap set at Harbor Freight theat worked and saved my housing. Soooo Happy! If this didn't work I was going to someone TIG weld the hole.

Hopefully this helps someone else, but if you read this first, do yourself a favor and get a skid before hitting the trails.

IMG_3547.PNG

IMG_3544.PNG

Screen Shot 2020-05-31 at 6.14.26 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-05-31 at 6.15.13 PM.png

DVJeeper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL 4door
One more picture to show why this is drain plug is so vulnerable, here is a picture of it screwed all the way in. Because it is NPT tapered fitting it stops (at least on my diff) with still about a 1/6" of an inch hanging down, if it was flush you might be okay, but I still wouldn't trust it if you play in the rocks.

Screen Shot 2020-05-31 at 6.25.26 PM.png

DVJeeper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL 4door
I'm with you, I actually had no idea they had drain plugs. My TJ didn't have drain plugs. the rear drain plug is on the side so it's pretty safe. The socket is steel and somewhat shallow, but you should be able to grind it flat and still be okay. Although I still think the location will see a lot of contact and for me I'm going to check out skids or grind it flush and TIG weld it in.

Sponsored

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
I just ordered front and rear ARB diff covers. They have magnetic drain plugs on the bottom just above the flange and fill plugs aimed up for easy fill with an integrated magnetic dip stick. My brother's a structural welder and I plan on asking him to tack weld the front drain plug

mikem20

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
I did the MC cover. It’s nice. Also, for everyone else regardless, check your drain bolt. Mine was no where near tightened.

Jeep Wrangler JL A simple warning about your poorly designed diff drain bolt. F714E2EB-AD83-4160-8E39-86421600B9C0
Sponsored