Sponsored

How do you start a class action lawsuit?

Swanny297

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Dollar wise how much of your vehicle price did the “off road pages” cost you? Did you upgrade the radio solely for this purpose or was it for the other benefits of the 8.4?

We are such a “Sue” happy society.

Sierra Nevada

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Red Rubi JL Unlimited
Being in the software business myself, I would assume they had some technical issues and missed the release deadline. Rather than starting a lawsuit, I would talk to the dealer to have him upgrade the vehicle's firmware free of charge once the update becomes available.
Missed the official announcements from FCA on this matter? ... there will be no updates for 2018 JLs for the 8.4 Infotainment display ... ever ... that's the issue ... FCA has drawn a line in the sand. What they did not talk about are the off road pages on the Instrument Cluster Display for 2018 Rubicons. This is different than Off Road Pages on the Infotainment 8.4 display. FCA has really botch the communications on their 2018 ORP roll out ... unnecessarily so.

It's possible that I have FCA and the company that makes the Infotainment display and software confused. Maybe someone can clarify ... but, in terms of suing someone, FCA would be the target ... they have deeper pockets.

BTW, this thread is about how to sue FCA, not problems with ORPs.

Also, I have my dealer looking into the ORP issue as well.

Last edited:

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
It's easy to say it's not a big deal when you aren't the one that paid for these features. It's like paying for the cold weather package and not having heated seats. A feature being removed deserves both an explanation and either compensation or a fix.

Sponsored

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Anyone here with a legal background who can give some advice?

How exactly does one go about starting a class action lawsuit?

This would be regarding FCA advertising and charging people for a Uconnect system containing Off-Road Pages and then disabling them after delivering the vehicles and owners having used them for a number of days.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...t-the-off-road-pages.4775/page-23#post-103454

Or do you think it would be better for everyone to file individual lawsuits instead of one class action?

The only just solution is for every 2018 MY customer to receive a software update as soon as possible (it's not good enough to have to wait until next year for it either) that restores the Off-Road pages FCA advertised and accepted money for.

P.S. How can we ensure that Canadian customers aren't left out in the cold either?

marchionne.jpg.size-custom-crop.1086x0.jpg

@JeepCares
You're going to start a class action lawsuit for a gimmick that is still available on another screen? Good luck.

TampaJL

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL
I can tell you, as a licensed attorney, that a class action lawsuit only makes money for the attorneys. The clients are usually left with a coupon or an extremely small settlement but rarely do they force the manufacturer to correct something that isn't a safety issue. As others have pointed out that same information is available on the dash display.

I think you would be better advised to start a web page with this information and then post it all over social media to start getting a bunch of views and see how the corporate entity responds.

Good luck.

desert runner

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR MetalCloak 2.5F/3.5R, LoD Bumper/Carrier.
Missed the official announcements from FCA on this matter? ... there will be no updates for 2018 JLs for the 8.4 Infotainment display ... ever ... that's the issue ... FCA has drawn a line in the sand. What they did not talk about are the off road pages on the Instrument Cluster Display for 2018 Rubicons. This is different than Off Road Pages on the Infotainment 8.4 display. FCA has really botch the communications on their 2018 ORP roll out ... unnecessarily so.

It's possible that I have FCA and the company that makes the Infotainment display and software confused. Maybe someone can clarify ... but, in terms of suing someone, FCA would be the target ... they have deeper pockets.

BTW, this thread is about how to sue FCA, not problems with ORPs.

Also, I have my dealer looking into the ORP issue as well.
I must have missed that indeed.

Does anyone happen to know if the same holds true for the 7" UConnect?

OP
OP
BillyHW

BillyHW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-
I can tell you, as a licensed attorney, that a class action lawsuit only makes money for the attorneys. The clients are usually left with a coupon or an extremely small settlement but rarely do they force the manufacturer to correct something that isn't a safety issue. As others have pointed out that same information is available on the dash display.

I think you would be better advised to start a web page with this information and then post it all over social media to start getting a bunch of views and see how the corporate entity responds.

Good luck.
The point is making it more costly for FCA to do the wrong thing than it is for them to do the right thing and just issue the damn software update to the 2018s to fix the missing Off-Road Pages.

That One Guy

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Honda Accord coupe, V6 6-speed manual; ordered 2018 JL Sport 6MT with A/C and anti-spin. D status.
Dollar wise how much of your vehicle price did the “off road pages” cost you? Did you upgrade the radio solely for this purpose or was it for the other benefits of the 8.4?

We are such a “Sue” happy society.
I think it's fair to say nearly every member here who upgraded to the 8.4 at least partially did so for the highly advertised Offroad Pages. So in a sense, it was worth more or less a couple hundred bucks to most, and some would not have made the upgrade without it.

Sponsored

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
I don't care either way, but I just don't understand how these gauges work fine in the instrument cluster, but don't on the infotainment display. It's the same information being fed from the computer just on a different screen. Seriously, how do you fuck that up?

BillArnett

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
The point is making it more costly for FCA to do the wrong thing than it is for them to do the right thing and just issue the damn software update to the 2018s to fix the missing Off-Road Pages.
^^^^^^^

Exactly. I would much rather have a fix than some nominal compensation.

Merlin28

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3 JK Sahara builds , JL Rubicon, 95 XJ build
USE the lawsuit to force their hand. That’s how this game works. Right now they are calculating the cost benefit ratio of screwing the 18 crowd out
Of this feature. FCA is a corporation . NOT our friend .

BillArnett

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
USE the lawsuit to force their hand. That’s how this game works. Right now they are calculating the cost benefit ratio of screwing the 18 crowd out
Of this feature. FCA is a corporation . NOT our friend .
Speaking for myself only, FCA can still earn my confidence and trust back again if they respond with a full explanation and a fix. Yes, they're a big cumbersome corporation and they're primary motivation is to make money for their shareholders. But the way they do that is by selling to folks like me. Reputation is a big deal.

OP
OP
BillyHW

BillyHW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-
Speaking for myself only, FCA can still earn my confidence and trust back again if they respond with a full explanation and a fix. Yes, they're a big cumbersome corporation and they're primary motivation is to make money for their shareholders. But the way they do that is by selling to folks like me. Reputation is a big deal.
The reputational damage FCA would inflict upon themselves with a class action this early after a new product launch is a bigger deal than any financial settlement. Hopefully the people in charge there are not so stupid but they are not currently inspiring confidence.
Sponsored