Wrangler died while driving!

jeepdabest

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sahara
Your interpretation of my reply is moronic. I didn't realize that Wranglers fly alongside Boeings but you may have seen some after taking whatever you're on. My parting remarks are simple: please don't take any advice from this guy, use your own judgement. World's worst advisor. Oatmeal raisin is my favorite.
I'm going to pack you some fudge....since you really enjoy that.
Sponsored

jeepdabest

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sahara
I'm not getting this part though: "If I purchase ANY motor vehicle that totally shuts down on the freeway where I have NO BRAKES, NO STEERING, OR NO MEANS OF CONTROL, I WILL take that vehicle to the dealer. However, I will never take it back. PERIOD. I've purchased more than 20 new cars in my lifetime and none of them left me having to pray for my family through no fault of their own."

I have a 1985 CJ7, auto trans, power steering and brakes. When the engine died while driving, I did not have no means of control. Due to the power steering and brakes, I did lose easy control of those aspects. Meaning I had to turn the wheel and hit the brake pedal harder. But I would not call that "no means of control" and I did not feel like praying etc. I would just pull over to the side of the road, and fix the issue or get some gasoline.

The new JL has an electric steering assist rather than hydro engine driven? I am wondering why steering would lose much power on engine stall. (Maybe I am wrong about the design.)

I agree with you, engine stalling on a new car is not good, and I would not be happy if it occurred more than once. But it happens to some vehicles. In my case - a lot over the years. For me it was never any worry - other than maybe a friend slapping me for running out of fuel. :)
I hear ya. The OP said he lost all control.

JeepNomad

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ocean Blue JLUR
Occupation
Retired Navy
I'm not getting this part though: "If I purchase ANY motor vehicle that totally shuts down on the freeway where I have NO BRAKES, NO STEERING, OR NO MEANS OF CONTROL, I WILL take that vehicle to the dealer. However, I will never take it back. PERIOD. I've purchased more than 20 new cars in my lifetime and none of them left me having to pray for my family through no fault of their own."

I have a 1985 CJ7, auto trans, power steering and brakes. When the engine died while driving, I did not have no means of control. Due to the power steering and brakes, I did lose easy control of those aspects. Meaning I had to turn the wheel and hit the brake pedal harder. But I would not call that "no means of control" and I did not feel like praying etc. I would just pull over to the side of the road, and fix the issue or get some gasoline.

The new JL has an electric steering assist rather than hydro engine driven? I am wondering why steering would lose much power on engine stall. (Maybe I am wrong about the design.)

I agree with you, engine stalling on a new car is not good, and I would not be happy if it occurred more than once. But it happens to some vehicles. In my case - a lot over the years. For me it was never any worry - other than maybe a friend slapping me for running out of fuel. :)
I'm just spit balling here but would it have to do with the push button start (keyless ignition)? In an old style car/truck if the engine dies your key is still turned to the "on" position so the steering wheel is not locked. In a push button start when the engine dies does it automatically lock the steering wheel?

beaups

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL
I'm just spit balling here but would it have to do with the push button start (keyless ignition)? In an old style car/truck if the engine dies your key is still turned to the "on" position so the steering wheel is not locked. In a push button start when the engine dies does it automatically lock the steering wheel?
No and that's why he didn't lose steering, just lost power steering assist. You also don't lose the brakes, only the assist. Separately, I had both happen on several occasions on another FCA vehicle of mine, and while it's a bit scary, it's not the "total loss of control" people will have you believe.

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
CB76393F-B04B-47AC-A295-E2DD8E448687.gif

Sponsored

HardSell

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 Built Rubicon replaced modestly built stolen '87 XJ
Occupation
Nose Picker
Is killing the engine really the dire safety concern as suggested in this thread?
Killing the engine is a minor safety concern which precedes the major safety concern of failure to restart; especially in 110 degree heat, 50 miles from the next vehicle, just as it is a safety concern regarding failure to restart a supersonic flameout, both life threatening. See the picture, 127 Hours. The only reasons Ralston survived his 5+ day ordeal was he was in the shade most of time, he was found, and if he was not found, his vehicle was expected to start. Note the scene when the camera backs away and pans from his slot position....that's the desert SW. Out here, there's no such thing as a nearby remote area. Emphasis on the JL has shifted from reliable simplicity to complicated uncertainty.

Sponsored

GtX

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0D
Occupation
Working for the man.
Vehicle Showcase
This is turning out to be an awesome thread!

OP
OP
MrBell

MrBell

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shopping for JL
UPDATE:

I got my Wrangler back from the dealer yesterday. It turns out the Z FUSE was incorrectly installed at the factory and was replaced. Also the Z FUSE to PDC was found to be cracked and was replaced. That's it.
Sponsored