Wrangler died while driving!

jeepdabest

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sahara
Fair enough. Don’t ever buy a Ferrari, Lamborghini, Aston Martín, or a McClaren. They do stuff like you experienced as well. Go ahead and add Mercedes Benz, I had one of those just turn off as well, loose connector under the dash.
Thanks. I will definitely avoid those brands.
Sponsored

jeepdabest

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sahara
Never going to happen on a first fault like this. You will just be out of pocket for your attorney fees.

On a second+ occurrence you may get some traction.
Guess your kids have to die before getting some attention.

jeepdabest

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sahara
I know that’s the natural first reaction but I think you should wait and see what the diagnosis is before making any demands/decisions.

To be honest...I’m not sure how well demanding anything will go over...especially since the dealer isn’t the one that would have to make that call on their own.
Would you go at FCA or drive it and pray?

jeepdabest

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sahara
I know that’s the natural first reaction but I think you should wait and see what the diagnosis is before making any demands/decisions.

To be honest...I’m not sure how well demanding anything will go over...especially since the dealer isn’t the one that would have to make that call on their own.
Why would I waste my time with the dealer? They didn't build it.

Sponsored

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I worked in aerospace for over 40 years (I retired Friday). The last 20 or so, I was either directly or indirectly involved in fixing safety issues. Just from my perspective, replacing an entire vehicle with another one just like it is unlikely to fix the root cause of why the vehicle could possibly shut down without warning. The earlier comment about the "single point failure" makes me think he's in the engineering or safety biz. It's pretty likely he's right that the issue is a design where one failure can disable the vehicle. This is an unacceptable (and not legal) condition in commercial airplanes, but still common in automobiles. The auto industry is getting better about designing out single point failures that create unacceptable risk, but it's expensive and not easily done. Also, what is unacceptable risk is often defined with cost and liability exposure tossed in the pot.

Bottom line: getting a new Jeep may not change the probability of the same thing happening again, nor are those of us that haven't had this occurrence less likely to have it happen.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
A 5.7 or 6.4 hemi swap will be a low cost option when the motors of either the 3.6 or 2.0 fail.
AMW 4x4 kit is something like $22K to $25K. Then there's the installation. $70K to $80K total is a lot of $ to put into a FCA jalopy. Besides, if I were concerned about the engine reliability, I would skip the FCA products and just put a LS in it, complete with the LS ECM/TCM.

jeepdabest

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sahara
Demanding when you aren't holding any face cards will get zip, except some bad reaction from the people you need on your side.
Well,
I’d wait and see what the diagnosis is and not start demanding a new vehicle without knowing the issue.
Do what's right for YOUR family.

Rploaded

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
AMW 4x4 kit is something like $22K to $25K. Then there's the installation. $70K to $80K total is a lot of $ to put into a FCA jalopy. Besides, if I were concerned about the engine reliability, I would skip the FCA products and just put a LS in it, complete with the LS ECM/TCM.
Yes - agreed. One can get a crate engine for a sub six thousand dollars. In a few more years no one will be able to charge huge money for a harness. Lastly I would put it in myself which would skip the large expense many have decided to charge at this juncture.

LS is cool, very easy to work on, and reliable; I just prefer to keep it at least to the OEM brand.

My real desire if I could have anything would be to stretch the front and install a 6.7 Cummins. However I’m not sure the juice is the worth the squeeze at this point. Maybe once my JL retires to buggy land.

Sponsored

Blues

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Last night while driving around 40mph my Wrangler had a complete shut down. Everything went black inside, the breaks stopped working and I had to coast into a gas station using the emergency break to stop. Needless to say it was disconcerting and thankfully I was not going 70 on the highway. My vehicle only has 8000 miles on it... I opened the hood and there was a high pitched sound coming from the engine. I checked the fuse box (many of the fuses were very loose) but no luck getting it restarted. Tow truck showed up 1.5 hours later and off to the dealership it went.

I'm curious if any fellow Jeep owners have had a similar experience? I guessing that the dealer won't get to mine until next week.

IMG_0367.JPG
I've had it with all the electrical problems. I'm going to trade in my jeep on the all electric hummer pickup as soon as it's released! :)

scsvp45

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler. 2018 BMW M3/M40i
Last night while driving around 40mph my Wrangler had a complete shut down. Everything went black inside, the breaks stopped working and I had to coast into a gas station using the emergency break to stop. Needless to say it was disconcerting and thankfully I was not going 70 on the highway. My vehicle only has 8000 miles on it... I opened the hood and there was a high pitched sound coming from the engine. I checked the fuse box (many of the fuses were very loose) but no luck getting it restarted. Tow truck showed up 1.5 hours later and off to the dealership it went.

I'm curious if any fellow Jeep owners have had a similar experience? I guessing that the dealer won't get to mine until next week.

IMG_0367.JPG
In this clip the driver doing the review had the same experience; highway at night.

JeepNomad

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ocean Blue JLUR
Occupation
Retired Navy
@scsvp45, Love the avatar! P-3's for life!! I worked on them for 20 years.

HardSell

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 Built Rubicon replaced modestly built stolen '87 XJ
Occupation
Nose Picker
I had to coast into a gas station
Fortunate you weren't using that Jeep for what it's supposed to be used for like wheeling in the Maze, Chinaman's Gulch, Blanca Peak, White Rim Trail, those sorts of places.
Sponsored