Sponsored

Wrangler died while driving!

Young04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Earl 392
I know I'll get flamed for this...but I would NEVER trust putting my family in that vehicle again and would (along with my attorney) be DEMANDING a new vehicle with no additional cost to me.
These types of things are outliers. With that said I agree with you - I wouldn't want to drive that vehicle again regardless of what I'm told about the cause.
Sponsored

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
It seems that 8000 miles is the milestone to beat in the reliability department to flush out the lemons.

I see many JLs breakdown at the 8k mark, mine also went dead at 8k. Hmmm.

The high pitched noise is normal, all JLs have it.

Last edited:

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Can’t say my JL has a high pitched noise.

JEEPIDON

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon, 2021 Gladiator Rubicon, 2013 Ram2500
Occupation
Retired - Business Consultant
I know I'll get flamed for this...but I would NEVER trust putting my family in that vehicle again and would (along with my attorney) be DEMANDING a new vehicle with no additional cost to me.
Would you not eat your mother's cooking again if she burned a steak? If your oatmeal was lumpy would you refuse breakfast from that point forward? You don't even know what's wrong and all trust is broken down? You and your attorney (you love to spew stupid advice regarding lawsuits) should find something productive to do. Worst advisor ever!

JeepNomad

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ocean Blue JLUR
Occupation
Retired Navy
Last night while driving around 40mph my Wrangler had a complete shut down. Everything went black inside, the breaks stopped working and I had to coast into a gas station using the emergency break to stop. Needless to say it was disconcerting and thankfully I was not going 70 on the highway. My vehicle only has 8000 miles on it... I opened the hood and there was a high pitched sound coming from the engine. I checked the fuse box (many of the fuses were very loose) but no luck getting it restarted. Tow truck showed up 1.5 hours later and off to the dealership it went.

I'm curious if any fellow Jeep owners have had a similar experience? I guessing that the dealer won't get to mine until next week.

IMG_0367.JPG
I'm in the process of researching to by a JLUR in April. During my research of the 2.0T I came across a few people describing the same issue you have. They all said the issue was with the second battery e-torque system. Even happened to the TFL guys (youtube channel) while on a mountain road in CO. The most common cause I found was a faulty or loose ground wire in the e-torque system. It's why i'm sticking with the 3.6.

Just my opinion, but the extra torque and couple of extra mpg's does not outweigh the added single point of failure that could leave me stranded in the back country.

Sponsored

Young04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Earl 392
Would you not eat your mother's cooking again if she burned a steak? If your oatmeal was lumpy would you refuse breakfast from that point forward? You don't even know what's wrong and all trust is broken down? You and your attorney (you love to spew stupid advice regarding lawsuits) should find something productive to do. Worst advisor ever!
Bad analogy. Lumpy oatmeal and burned steak would be equal to getting a flat tire. What happened to the OP is if your mom put you in the hospital and almost killed you with her bad cooking. You'd probably still eat your mom's cooking again but that's because you can't get a new mom. You can always get a new car.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Demanding when you aren't holding any face cards will get zip, except some bad reaction from the people you need on your side.

rallydefault

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport S
Definition of "false analogy."

GtX

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0D
Occupation
Working for the man.
Vehicle Showcase
Fair enough. Don’t ever buy a Ferrari, Lamborghini, Aston Martín, or a McClaren. They do stuff like you experienced as well. Go ahead and add Mercedes Benz, I had one of those just turn off as well, loose connector under the dash.
Ford, Nissan, and Subaru too. These have all shut down on me while driving.

Kyanche

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
The most common cause I found was a faulty or loose ground wire in the e-torque system. It's why i'm sticking with the 3.6.
Sadly the 3.6 is not without its share of issues, even with the dual battery ESS setup lol. There's the electrical issues, the vibration issues, the rear main seal issues, and who knows if the heads work any better than the old 3.6 after 100k miles.

Sponsored

JeepNomad

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ocean Blue JLUR
Occupation
Retired Navy
Sadly the 3.6 is not without its share of issues, even with the dual battery ESS setup lol. There's the electrical issues, the vibration issues, the rear main seal issues, and who knows if the heads work any better than the old 3.6 after 100k miles.
I hear ya. I'm not saying the 3.6 is perfect. I just subscribe to the k i s s method. For me the benefits of the e-torque don't outweigh the risks. Hopefully in the future Jeep adds a bypass to the e-torque system in case of a failure. From what i've read if there is ANY issue with the e-torque system (even a low battery) your whole engine is dead.

Kyanche

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon

Rploaded

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
A 5.7 or 6.4 hemi swap will be a low cost option when the motors of either the 3.6 or 2.0 fail.

BrntWS6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS, 2002 WS6
I get it, won't happen but i get it. When a high school kid ran into me 14 years ago i no longer trusted the car. Kept the insurance money, went to the dealer and traded it in as is.

On a side note OP, it looks good on that tow truck....lol.
Sponsored