Wrangler died while driving!

HardSell

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 Built Rubicon replaced modestly built stolen '87 XJ
Occupation
Nose Picker
Bottom line: getting a new Jeep may not change the probability of the same thing happening again, nor are those of us that haven't had this occurrence less likely to have it happen.
With all the new JL electronic crap destined to interdependently cause ignition failure, getting a new Jeep increases the probability of such failure factored over time. Inconvenient on tarmac; deadly in the areas Jeeps are supposedly built for. I believe FCJ and Boeing share a common vision for fuel economy over safety and dependability.

NaruralHabitat.jpg
Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
With all the new JL electronic crap destined to interdependently cause ignition failure, getting a new Jeep increases the probability of such failure factored over time. Inconvenient on tarmac; deadly in the areas Jeeps are supposedly built for. I believe FCA and Boeing share a common vision for profits over safety and dependability.

NaruralHabitat.jpg
There. I fixed it for you. :like:

Indio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 Jeep TJ, 1985 Jeep CJ-7, 1972 Series III Land Rover
Occupation
Procrastinator
I worked in aerospace for over 40 years (I retired Friday). The last 20 or so, I was either directly or indirectly involved in fixing safety issues. Just from my perspective, replacing an entire vehicle with another one just like it is unlikely to fix the root cause of why the vehicle could possibly shut down without warning. The earlier comment about the "single point failure" makes me think he's in the engineering or safety biz. It's pretty likely he's right that the issue is a design where one failure can disable the vehicle. This is an unacceptable (and not legal) condition in commercial airplanes, but still common in automobiles. The auto industry is getting better about designing out single point failures that create unacceptable risk, but it's expensive and not easily done. Also, what is unacceptable risk is often defined with cost and liability exposure tossed in the pot.

Bottom line: getting a new Jeep may not change the probability of the same thing happening again, nor are those of us that haven't had this occurrence less likely to have it happen.
I don't own a JL. But I've driven Jeep CJs, currently drive a TJ, along with various other vehicles. Many of them have had the engine shutoff while driving. (For a while I was notorious for running out of gasoline in my old Mustang with broken fuel gauge.) Never was there much of a safety issue. I just coasted to a stop. Still had steering, brakes etc. One Jeep had power brakes, so I had to push the pedal harder with the engine not running. I'm trying to understand - is the situation so different on the new JL? Is killing the engine really the dire safety concern as suggested in this thread?

YYCSahara

First Name
BDLL
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara 2.0T
I'm in the process of researching to by a JLUR in April. During my research of the 2.0T I came across a few people describing the same issue you have. They all said the issue was with the second battery e-torque system. Even happened to the TFL guys (youtube channel) while on a mountain road in CO. The most common cause I found was a faulty or loose ground wire in the e-torque system. It's why i'm sticking with the 3.6.

Just my opinion, but the extra torque and couple of extra mpg's does not outweigh the added single point of failure that could leave me stranded in the back country.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but for 2020 the Rubicon 2.0T doesn't have the e-torque system, while the 3.6 can be had with or without it. Or at least that's what the Canadian build site shows.

Sponsored

cns721

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'04 WJ, '13 JKU, '18 WK2, '19 JLU, '22 WL74
Occupation
Software Engineer
My '18 Grand Cherokee also died on me. It lost power as I was driving and wouldn't rev up. Pulled over to the side and had it towed. Ended up the fuel pump malfunctioned so engine wasn't getting any fuel.

JeepNomad

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ocean Blue JLUR
Occupation
Retired Navy
Correct me if I'm wrong, but for 2020 the Rubicon 2.0T doesn't have the e-torque system, while the 3.6 can be had with or without it. Or at least that's what the Canadian build site shows.
Looking at the January 2020 build chart the 3.6 w/o e-torque, 2.0T w/o e-torque, or 2.0T with e-torque are the 3 options for gas. And then there's the diesel.

GtX

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0D
Occupation
Working for the man.
Vehicle Showcase
I don't own a JL. But I've driven Jeep CJs, currently drive a TJ, along with various other vehicles. Many of them have had the engine shutoff while driving. (For a while I was notorious for running out of gasoline in my old Mustang with broken fuel gauge.) Never was there much of a safety issue. I just coasted to a stop. Still had steering, brakes etc. One Jeep had power brakes, so I had to push the pedal harder with the engine not running. I'm trying to understand - is the situation so different on the new JL? Is killing the engine really the dire safety concern as suggested in this thread?
I'm wondering the same thing.

YYCSahara

First Name
BDLL
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara 2.0T
Looking at the January 2020 build chart the 3.6 w/o e-torque, 2.0T w/o e-torque, or 2.0T with e-torque are the 3 options for gas. And then there's the diesel.
Yeah the 2.0T e-torque is now only available on the Sahara. Rubicon you can only get the non e-Torque 2.0T in it.

JEEPIDON

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon, 2021 Gladiator Rubicon, 2013 Ram2500
Occupation
Retired - Business Consultant
Why would I waste my time with the dealer? They didn't build it.
Hey Skippy, neither did your attorney!!! I hope no one listens to any of your advice as it all boils down to "Get an Attorney", scream the "Lemon Law" (for a stupid dent) or your world famous "Demand, demand". Your advice probably does more damage than any good but there are enough folks on here to roll their eyes when they see your over blown nonsense. Wouldn't it be better to analyze and diagnose a problem before screaming nonsense advice? Working with your dealer/service department is always the first line and demanding versus discussing will get you less that if you acted like a professional. Like I said "Worst Advisor Ever". When you grow up come back and join us.

Sponsored

jeepdabest

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sahara
Hey Muffy, I don't know what you are talking about regarding a dent. You seem very unhinged and you might not want to get off of your meds. Let's try this....but please....take a very deep breath. If I purchase ANY motor vehicle that totally shuts down on the freeway where I have NO BRAKES, NO STEERING, OR NO MEANS OF CONTROL, I WILL take that vehicle to the dealer. However, I will never take it back. PERIOD. I've purchased more than 20 new cars in my lifetime and none of them left me having to pray for my family through no fault of their own. If you would accept ANY answer from a service department that says.."no worries...all fixed'....and then take that car back and put your kids in it....then you also probably also enjoy having your prostate examined with BOTH of the doctors hands on your shoulders. I'm not only going to not take it back, but I'm going to receive another new vehicle to replace my Jeep or a total refund. Should the dealer say no (most likely) I'm not going to let the dealer tell me to go have my prostate checked (you know...like the way YOU like it). I'm going to make sure I get my money back. If sweet talk doesn't work, then the NHSTA and an attorney gets involved. Simple. I'm trying to keep this easy for you. 2 things are true. 1. I would NEVER let my family drive or ride in that vehicle again...even if the dealer said...oops loose wire or it needs a new flux capacitor. 2. I would get my approximately $50k back or a new vehicle because it's a lot of money and I didn't sign up for FCA caused death when I made my purchase. Of course, you would let YOUR family take the risk. I get it. Now, when you grow up...come on back, Muffy. Can I get you a cookie?

JEEPIDON

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Hey Muffy, I don't know what you are talking about regarding a dent. You seem very unhinged and you might not want to get off of your meds. Let's try this....but please....take a very deep breath. If I purchase ANY motor vehicle that totally shuts down on the freeway where I have NO BRAKES, NO STEERING, OR NO MEANS OF CONTROL, I WILL take that vehicle to the dealer. However, I will never take it back. PERIOD. I've purchased more than 20 new cars in my lifetime and none of them left me having to pray for my family through no fault of their own. If you would accept ANY answer from a service department that says.."no worries...all fixed'....and then take that car back and put your kids in it....then you also probably also enjoy having your prostate examined with BOTH of the doctors hands on your shoulders. I'm not only going to not take it back, but I'm going to receive another new vehicle to replace my Jeep or a total refund. Should the dealer say no (most likely) I'm not going to let the dealer tell me to go have my prostate checked (you know...like the way YOU like it). I'm going to make sure I get my money back. If sweet talk doesn't work, then the NHSTA and an attorney gets involved. Simple. I'm trying to keep this easy for you. 2 things are true. 1. I would NEVER let my family drive or ride in that vehicle again...even if the dealer said...oops loose wire or it needs a new flux capacitor. 2. I would get my approximately $50k back or a new vehicle because it's a lot of money and I didn't sign up for FCA caused death when I made my purchase. Of course, you would let YOUR family take the risk. I get it. Now, when you grow up...come on back, Muffy. Can I get you a cookie?
I'm surprised you didn't DEMAND I take a cookie! Skippy you should stay inside and eat your own cookies (obviously they include some interesting ingredients). Each owner is going to have to determine his course of action and hopefully not based with your hairbrained advice. Your puffing all sounds like a self righteous principled elitist but in reality I sincerely doubt you follow any of your own dumb suggestions. Here's a news flash for you "mechanical devices are not reliable in any brand, shape or size." Now you have no excuse for not knowing this! You can understand that, right??? God doesn't have an assembly line in Heaven and us flimsy humans make mechanical devices that fail. I take human safety over anything offered but I also live in a real world. If anything seems unhinged it is your struggling reply. Please get back on your meds and stop giving advice. If you would like some help organizing your thoughts please ask...I would be happy to help you!

jeepdabest

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sahara
I'm surprised you didn't DEMAND I take a cookie! Skippy you should stay inside and eat your own cookies (obviously they include some interesting ingredients). Each owner is going to have to determine his course of action and hopefully not based with your hairbrained advice. Your puffing all sounds like a self righteous principled elitist but in reality I sincerely doubt you follow any of your own dumb suggestions. Here's a news flash for you "mechanical devices are not reliable in any brand, shape or size." Now you have no excuse for not knowing this! You can understand that, right??? God doesn't have an assembly line in Heaven and us flimsy humans make mechanical devices that fail. I take human safety over anything offered but I also live in a real world. If anything seems unhinged it is your struggling reply. Please get back on your meds and stop giving advice. If you would like some help organizing your thoughts please ask...I would be happy to help you!
Muffy,,,,,,wow....I have repeatedly said that everyone needs to do what they have to do. You would drive the vehicle no matter what. I wouldn't. If you feel it's acceptable to drive a car that almost killed you then continue to do so. You are very angry and call me an elitist because I won't accept driving a death trap. You want me to just accept it. Sorry, Muffy, it's 2020 and vehicles, like airplanes, shouldn't kill us due to manufacturer error....see Boeing. Your response to me is totally moronic. You want me to drive it or eat the 50k. Do you want fudge or chocolate chip?

Indio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 Jeep TJ, 1985 Jeep CJ-7, 1972 Series III Land Rover
Occupation
Procrastinator
I'm not getting this part though: "If I purchase ANY motor vehicle that totally shuts down on the freeway where I have NO BRAKES, NO STEERING, OR NO MEANS OF CONTROL, I WILL take that vehicle to the dealer. However, I will never take it back. PERIOD. I've purchased more than 20 new cars in my lifetime and none of them left me having to pray for my family through no fault of their own."

I have a 1985 CJ7, auto trans, power steering and brakes. When the engine died while driving, I did not have no means of control. Due to the power steering and brakes, I did lose easy control of those aspects. Meaning I had to turn the wheel and hit the brake pedal harder. But I would not call that "no means of control" and I did not feel like praying etc. I would just pull over to the side of the road, and fix the issue or get some gasoline.

The new JL has an electric steering assist rather than hydro engine driven? I am wondering why steering would lose much power on engine stall. (Maybe I am wrong about the design.)

I agree with you, engine stalling on a new car is not good, and I would not be happy if it occurred more than once. But it happens to some vehicles. In my case - a lot over the years. For me it was never any worry - other than maybe a friend slapping me for running out of fuel. :)

JEEPIDON

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Muffy,,,,,,wow....I have repeatedly said that everyone needs to do what they have to do. You would drive the vehicle no matter what. I wouldn't. If you feel it's acceptable to drive a car that almost killed you then continue to do so. You are very angry and call me an elitist because I won't accept driving a death trap. You want me to just accept it. Sorry, Muffy, it's 2020 and vehicles, like airplanes, shouldn't kill us due to manufacturer error....see Boeing. Your response to me is totally moronic. You want me to drive it or eat the 50k. Do you want fudge or chocolate chip?
Your interpretation of my reply is moronic. I didn't realize that Wranglers fly alongside Boeings but you may have seen some after taking whatever you're on. My parting remarks are simple: please don't take any advice from this guy, use your own judgement. World's worst advisor. Oatmeal raisin is my favorite.
Sponsored