Sponsored

Wow...JLU mpg!!!

Robe81

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
I recently traded in a 2018 F150 5.0 that got around 21 mpg highway and 16 mixed. I expected from my previous JKUR's that my mpg would drop significantly...or at least not get more than 16 daily commuting. I gotta say I'm pleasantly surprised so far. I'm sure it has a bit to do with the 3.42 gear ratio compared to the 4.1 in the JKUR but I didnt expect this big of a difference.

To be clear, this was a 78 mile road trip that pretty much threw it all in there. I started in Yorktown, VA and went to Richmond, VA. It was a mix of backroads, city driving (Williamsburg), state highway (55 mph avg), and then finishing with some interstate speeds (65-70 mph). I would say I was mostly in 4th/5th gear doing around 55 mph. On the return trip I actually did a bit better at 26.2 mpg avg...but forgot to take the dang picture...

Anyhow...heres the proof.

mpg.jpg
Sponsored

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
You must have taken colonial parkway, right? Every other road out here seems to have waaayyyy too many lights to get decent mileage.

Is this with the 3.6 and manual trans?

jefflilj

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sport S color Mojito!
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Daily driving to work and back (40 mile round trip) for a couple weeks with about 80% of the drive as city driving, I hand calculated 22 MPG. Odometer said 23 MPG. Pleasantly surprised. This is my first jeep.

RichD

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sport S
Same here. 23 mpg, about 80% highway, roughly over the past 2000 miles. All stock 3.6 auto. Very pleased, BUT, gas prices are heading up again.

20190504_091441.jpg

Sponsored

OP
OP
Robe81

Robe81

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
You must have taken colonial parkway, right? Every other road out here seems to have waaayyyy too many lights to get decent mileage.

Is this with the 3.6 and manual trans?
Actually no...I went down Ft Eustis to 143 to 60 to the loop around Richmond. Williamsburg had the most lights.

And yeah...manual w/3.6

smores

First Name
Sammy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon
It's the manual. I don't care what the EPA or manufacturers tell us - a manual will get superior mileage in any car or light truck everytime -- of course the driver has to know how to drive.
I hate to break it to you, but for vehicles to meet the CAFE standards for the manufacturer avg fuel economy, there’s a reason most vehicles are automatic. Can’t argue with math. Manual transmissions can’t compete with MPG when automatics are now 8/9/10 gears.

Sponsored

MacJack

First Name
-O)|||||(O-Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL 2 Door
Vehicle Showcase
I have a JLR 2 door auto with oil catch can and get 19.6 mpg with stock 33 tires. It's in the wheels and if you have a heavy foot.

brianP

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Once you get bigger tires that will go away
Depends on how you drive it, I am running 37's w/ beadlocks on my JLUR w/ 4.10's and still get 19mpg around city (hand calculated, though dash shows the same and speedo recalibrated correctly, 87 octane), I am easy on the pedal but its still possible I am consistently between 17 and 19 even when I am more into the skinny pedal then normal . No clue what it will get on the highway as I havent had it on a long trip as of yet and I dont see 8th gear often but I am not complaining.

Sports and Saharas with the 3.45's might see a decrease, I put my Rubi take-off wheels and tires on my wifes JLU Sport and she also noticed about 2 MPG decrease but this might partly be due to not recalibrating the speedo on hers yet because she is jumping to 35's soon and it is only off by about 1 - 2 MPH currently but gearing does make a difference when you start increasing tire size.

Honestly if you bought the Jeep for good MPG I think you may want to rethink your purchase or keep it stock.. ;-)

ClaytonW

First Name
Bo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL Unlimited Rubicon, 2016 Lexus LX570
JLUR 3.6 auto with 35" BFG KO2 tires and I have about 16 mpg. I think that it's quite good. I drive normally, about 70-75 mph on a highway. If I wanted a better mpg, I would buy a Prius :)

mintswitch

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport
Vehicle Showcase
It's the manual. I don't care what the EPA or manufacturers tell us - a manual will get superior mileage in any car or light truck everytime -- of course the driver has to know how to drive.
It's actually the opposite. Autos generally get better gas mileage than manuals now. It used to be the other way around, but autos have surpassed manuals when it comes to MPGs.

Wrangler-Joe

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Jeep Sahara Unlimited
I have a Sierra, Unlimited, 3.6L, 8 speed with stock 18" wheels. I'm just back from a 5600 mile road trip from NH to Southwest Texas and return. We drove mostly Interstate or equivalent. We drove 65MPH to 75MPH and even 80+ in Texas. We got a minimum of 22+ and a Maximum of 24+ with an overall average of over 23MPG. I was very pleased with the JL's on-road and off-road handling.
Sponsored