Working Brake Controller cable found

WA_Backroads

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon Firecracker Red, Land Rover Defender 90
For those that have installed the MOPAR tow harness and then went on to install a brake controller, what did you do with the blue wire under the glove box left there from the tow harness install?
Sponsored

WA_Backroads

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon Firecracker Red, Land Rover Defender 90
I looked under the driver's side an I didn't see a plug like the one in the picture below. So I am wondering if it only comes with the to package. I didn't get the tow package. I just installed the MOPAR hitch and JL harness.

Last edited:

Godzilla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 2500
I just finished installing a P3 with the Cherokee adapter cable that galleywinter suggested. Looks like it is good to go - didn't yet hook up the trailer but the controller display showed it to be working correctly. I installed mine to the right of the steering wheel and down a bit. There is a circular vent thing there and I put the mounting bracket right under it. looks like its a good spot - my knee doesn't hit it and I can see the display through the steering wheel spokes. I will say that any other big people like me (6'1" and 230lbs) might hire a small child to go upside down on the floor pan to look up to find the connecter... it was quite the twister game there for a while and I may go see the chiropractor tomorrow.

mergedown

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
For those that have installed the MOPAR tow harness and then went on to install a brake controller, what did you do with the blue wire under the glove box left there from the tow harness install?
Did we ever get an answer to this? I self installed my harness and just bought a trailer with brakes. Not sure I'm going to need a brake controller, but would love to understand what it will take for those of us that didn't buy the tow package and self installed the harness/hitch. There is a blue wire that instructions tell you to just leave it in the passenger footwell, it doesn't plug into anything.

Myjeep

First Name
Patti
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018JL Sahara
I finally located the plug, way up, just behind the dash on the left, taped tightly to another wire, with the plug end facing up. Thank you to those who posted pictures so I could recognize what I was looking for. It was well hidden for no particular reason.
I do not know how a big guy can manage this, I am a medium size, fairly agile woman and I was contorted in every possible way to reach it. I am thinking the accessibility of this plug depends on the mood and sadistic nature of the guy who did the wiring on that day.

O|||||||O

Sponsored

mergedown

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
For those wiring in their own brake controller that didn’t get the tow package, and don’t have the preinstalled harness, where are you getting your power from?

mergedown

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
Got my brake controller all wired up (no factory town option). I can get the trailer brakes to work with the manual override, but no luck getting them to work with the actual brake pedal.

theWDB

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
Just curious did you try using the manual boost on your controller when testing it ? I tried mine without the trailer connected and iit caused three messages in the message center .i haven't tested with a trailer connected yet i'm using a Primu IQ Electronic Brake Control,
i think i remember these right .
1. Service the electronic stability control
2. Stop/start disabled
3. auto back up disabled
Turned the jeep off and back on the everything cleared .
I have received that first error message as well, every time I use the manual/boost button on my Tekonsha P3, even with the trailer connected... it clears easily enough, but it has me concerned. Have you had any additional issues?

Godzilla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 2500
I wrote that in another thread - I'm not sure which. Yes, I get the same codes that throw when I use the manual lever to energize the brakes. I've not put my OBDII reader on it because they do clear, as you say, when the key is cycled. I'm really not worried about it other than it being a nuisance. I will set/adjust my brakes using the boost switch while adjusting the gain when driving down the road from my house - when I get them where I want them, I pull over, cycle the engine to turn off the codes and away I go.

mergedown

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
Anyone make progress on working trailer brakes on a JL without the tow package? I just can’t seem to find the proper wire to tap into from the brake pedal.

Sponsored

Homer

First Name
Geral Hasten
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK, 2017 Chevy ZR2 diesel
YouTube has it.

Twinjayhawks

First Name
Darin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Rubicon
I finally located the plug, way up, just behind the dash on the left, taped tightly to another wire, with the plug end facing up. Thank you to those who posted pictures so I could recognize what I was looking for. It was well hidden for no particular reason.
I do not know how a big guy can manage this, I am a medium size, fairly agile woman and I was contorted in every possible way to reach it. I am thinking the accessibility of this plug depends on the mood and sadistic nature of the guy who did the wiring on that day.

O|||||||O
This was not easy to locate or hook up. The wire is so short you can’t pull it down far enough to see it. I did pull off the center panel which helped. I had to just reach around up there and located it taped to another wire.

Goheels050917

First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU (SOLD - March 2021)
Occupation
SD-WAN Engineer - Technical Author
I got the Autowbrake. It is mounting on the RPOD and works wonderfully. Nothing has to be installed in my cab. It's very price, but you get what you pay for.

https://getautowbrake.com/

Cheers!

RubenZ

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Website
myjlproject.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford F-250, 18’ Toyota 4Runner
I got the Autowbrake. It is mounting on the RPOD and works wonderfully. Nothing has to be installed in my cab. It's very price, but you get what you pay for.

https://getautowbrake.com/

Cheers!
Not bad at 350$. How hard is install? When you factor in price of controller, harness, tow harness that 350 is probably cheap.
Sponsored