Sponsored

Working Brake Controller cable found

digitalbliss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1979 CJ7
That's what I'm pulling. It's a lightweight camper with trailer brakes. I'll update this thread Friday. Ordered the one for the Cherokee and will be here then. If that doesn't work I guess we are waiting on a JL specific one.
I'll be curious to see where everyone mounts their controllers as well. I like mine to be located in a way that I can easily ajust the boost and apply the manual brake slider if needed.

OP
OP
galleywinter

galleywinter

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Hard Rock JKU, 2018 JL Rubi, 2020 Mercedes GLC 300(Wife) :-)
Occupation
Environmental Manager, VA Hospital
I used a pigtail from a Dodge Ram like the one pictured in the post. I had to change the pins as it was not wired correctly. But after that it works well
Ya. I got the one for Ram and my trailer brakes locked up using it. Didn't re-wire it. I've ordered one for the Cherokee but it looks identical to the Ram one. They have different numbers so maybe not. I get it on Friday and will try it out. If it doesn't work I'll give the re-wire a shot. All I know is I wasn't going to hard wire it.

Sponsored

Homer

First Name
Geral Hasten
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK, 2017 Chevy ZR2 diesel
I just picked up my 2018 JLU last Saturday with the tow package, and can't find anyone with a harness for a break control. I pull a 3500 Lb, Rpod travel trailer, and I do need trailer brakes badly. It has pulled acceptable with my 2016 JKU other than kicking down from 5th to 3rd gear when doing up hill.
I am hoping the 8 speed trans will take are of that.
So please post the results of the Cherokee harness. or send me a email to [email protected]

OP
OP
galleywinter

galleywinter

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Okay guys. Sorry about the delay. My Rv was in the shop. Hooked her up today using the Cherokee wiring harness and it works perfect. The Ram harness didn't work but the Cherokee does. They look identical but... They must have different wires. So you need the Tekonsha 3014-p for the Jeep Cherokee. I'm sure someday they will come out with one for our JL's or just call the 3014 for Cherokee and Wrangler JL but if you are needing something now the Tekonsha 3014 wiring harness works perfect. Now this is for the Tekonsha P3 Prodigy brake controller and will only work with it. If you have another brand of brake controller you'll need to find what works for you. Links to the wiring harness and Brake controller here.
https://www.amazon.com/Tekonsha-901...=tekonsha+prodigy+p3+trailer+brake+controller
https://www.amazon.com/Tekonsha-301...&qid=1521509032&sr=1-1&keywords=tekonsha+3014

OP
OP
galleywinter

galleywinter

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I just picked up my 2018 JLU last Saturday with the tow package, and can't find anyone with a harness for a break control. I pull a 3500 Lb, Rpod travel trailer, and I do need trailer brakes badly. It has pulled acceptable with my 2016 JKU other than kicking down from 5th to 3rd gear when doing up hill.
I am hoping the 8 speed trans will take are of that.
So please post the results of the Cherokee harness. or send me a email to [email protected]
The Cherokee hardness works perfect. Tekonsha 3014-Phttps://www.amazon.com/Tekonsha-3014-P-Control-Wiring-Adapter/dp/B00QRWR1YI/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1521509032&sr=1-1&keywords=tekonsha+3014

It works with the Tekonsha Prodigy P3 Brake Controller. Just hook the Gray Gray end of the plug to the Gray plug under the dash and the other end goes into the P3 brake control. It comes with a mount to mount under dash included.https://www.amazon.com/Tekonsha-901...521509393&sr=1-1-fkmr0&keywords=tekonsha+3014

You may want to use a different brand of brake control. This is just what worked for me.

Dclark19

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
HD Road King, HD Ultra Classic & Wrangler JLU
The Cherokee hardness works perfect. Tekonsha 3014-Phttps://www.amazon.com/Tekonsha-3014-P-Control-Wiring-Adapter/dp/B00QRWR1YI/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1521509032&sr=1-1&keywords=tekonsha+3014

It works with the Tekonsha Prodigy P3 Brake Controller. Just hook the Gray Gray end of the plug to the Gray plug under the dash and the other end goes into the P3 brake control. It comes with a mount to mount under dash included.https://www.amazon.com/Tekonsha-901...521509393&sr=1-1-fkmr0&keywords=tekonsha+3014

You may want to use a different brand of brake control. This is just what worked for me.
That’s perfect, just what I needed to know. Looking at the prices for different controllers this seem to be on the higher end, has anyone used this controller before? Is it worth the extra $? Lastly I know the tow package comes with a class II receiver but is it 1 1/4” or still a 2” receiver?

OP
OP
galleywinter

galleywinter

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
2" receiver, Can't speak to other brands. Tekonsha is all I've ever used. Tekonsha does have a cheaper version $65 but it looks like you can get a Reese or Curt for $30-$50. This adapter won't work on those but I'm sure they have one that will.

Sponsored

Dclark19

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
HD Road King, HD Ultra Classic & Wrangler JLU
2" receiver, Can't speak to other brands. Tekonsha is all I've ever used. Tekonsha does have a cheaper version $65 but it looks like you can get a Reese or Curt for $30-$50. This adapter won't work on those but I'm sure they have one that will.
You just made my day glad it’s a 2” all my hitches are 2” and I don’t mind spending a little extra he’ll he’ll i just spent $52k on the wrangler should be able to afford $130 for a controller. By the why thanks for finding a solution to the controller wiring... hats off to you!

OP
OP
galleywinter

galleywinter

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
You just made my day glad it’s a 2” all my hitches are 2” and I don’t mind spending a little extra he’ll he’ll i just spent $52k on the wrangler should be able to afford $130 for a controller. By the why thanks for finding a solution to the controller wiring... hats off to you!
You got it. Camping trip Thursday. Was getting close. It pulls fine and stops okay without the brakes but I sure feel better with them working. My campers dry weight is less than 3500 lbs. but after we get it loaded not so much.

ToolMan514

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon 4xe
I love my Tekonsha P3. I appreciate the display and little extra information it provides. Setting the brake level and boost is easy.

I also appreciate that someone has found the correct wiring adapter information before I had to do it for myself! Thanks @galleywinter!

NMElkHunter

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
Okay guys. Sorry about the delay. My Rv was in the shop. Hooked her up today using the Cherokee wiring harness and it works perfect. The Ram harness didn't work but the Cherokee does. They look identical but... They must have different wires. So you need the Tekonsha 3014-p for the Jeep Cherokee. I'm sure someday they will come out with one for our JL's or just call the 3014 for Cherokee and Wrangler JL but if you are needing something now the Tekonsha 3014 wiring harness works perfect. Now this is for the Tekonsha P3 Prodigy brake controller and will only work with it. If you have another brand of brake controller you'll need to find what works for you. Links to the wiring harness and Brake controller here.
https://www.amazon.com/Tekonsha-901...=tekonsha+prodigy+p3+trailer+brake+controller
https://www.amazon.com/Tekonsha-301...&qid=1521509032&sr=1-1&keywords=tekonsha+3014
Thanks for the info. Can you share some pictures of where you mounted the controller in the Jeep?

FatBoy01

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Wrangler Sahara; 2001 Harley FatBoy; 2018 Wrangler Rubicon JL (Ordered)
Occupation
Retired @ 55
That’s perfect, just what I needed to know. Looking at the prices for different controllers this seem to be on the higher end, has anyone used this controller before? Is it worth the extra $? Lastly I know the tow package comes with a class II receiver but is it 1 1/4” or still a 2” receiver?
As mentioned it is a 2" receiver. I have used the Tekonsha Prodigy P3 Brake Controller. I think it is well worth the extra $. It has so many features.. (is so adjustable) that make it stand out when you are on the road trallering.

There is no comparison between this brake controller and the below $50 controllers out there.

Once you experience using this controller you will understand why.

Of course, thanks to @galleywinter, you and other JLU/Jl owner's don't even have to go nutso trying to find a compatible cable that plays with the JLU/JL... as he found the cable already. By the way, shop around, as this Tekonsha controller can be had for as little as $100.

Sponsored

Last edited: