Sponsored

Working Brake Controller cable found

galleywinter

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Hard Rock JKU, 2018 JL Rubi, 2020 Mercedes GLC 300(Wife) :-)
Occupation
Environmental Manager, VA Hospital
Checking to see if anyone has found a Brake Control Adapter for their Tekonsha P3 controller yet?
With my other JLUR I always ordered the conversion kit from E-Trailer to turn the factory 4-Pin to a 7-Pin plug. It came with the plug, wiring to run up front thru the frame to the battery and then back under dash to hook up to my brake controller. I always needed the 7-way because my trailer has the e-brakes and no I'm not towing over the recommended 3500 lbs. It always worked great, just kind of a pain in the butt install.

Forward to the new JL. It comes with the 7-way plug factory and like with all vehicles with the 7-way tow package it has the plug under the dash to plug the controller into. I happy ro see this and eliminate having to do the hard way. The problem is E-Trailer doesn't have an adapter plug for the JL yet. I even called Tekonsha tech support and he said nothing available, hard wire it. I told him no thanks. the beauty of having a factory 7-Pin tow package is that it's plug and play. I'm not cutting the female plug off of my are JL to hardwire.

So I tried a Tekonsha Brake Control harness for the Ram trucks that fit perfect male to female under the dash. Went out to deer camp, hooked up and when I started to pull the back wheels of the dual axels would drag. Unhook the brake controller and it was fine. Nothing wrong with the brake controller, my trailer or the factory plug so I'm thinking using the Ram plug even though it fits isn't going to work. For the Ram it's a 3024-P harness. So I'm looking around today and they have a 30-14-P for 2014-present Cherokees/GC. It looks identical to the 3024-P. I'm thinking about rolling the dice and seeing if the Cherokees plug works but it looks identical to the Rams 3024. does anyone use the Tekonsha and what did you do for a Brake Control Harness?? The one on top is the 3014 that is for Cherokee and the one blow is the 3024 for Ram.
Untitled.jpg
IMG_3763.jpg IMG_3764.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited:

bam1111

First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Could you take a photo of the plug and where you found it? I looked but couldn’t find it!

OP
OP
galleywinter

galleywinter

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Could you take a photo of the plug and where you found it? I looked but couldn’t find it!
Not sure which one you're taking about bam. The ones I posted here are the ones for Ram Truck and Cherokee. They look like the same plug but.... Now the plug under the dash from the factory I can take a pic later and attach it. It's pretty simple if I just had the adapter. Plug one end in the back of my controller and the other end into the plug under dash and ready to roll but right now there aren't any available for 2018 JL and the one for Ram didn't work. I guess I'll try the one for Cherokee.

bam1111

First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I was referring to the plug under the dash of the JL. I was looking for a loose wire harness with an open plug that would accept the brake controller harness but didn’t see it. I guess I didn’t know what I was looking for. LOL

OP
OP
galleywinter

galleywinter

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Ya. It's an easy one. I know we don't have a foot emergency brake but if we did it would be right above that under dash way up in there. Pretty easy to see. It's a female plug coming off of another set of wires. So like were your left foot sits when driving, strait above that up under dash. No need to remove anything. Stick your head under with a light and you can see it. I'll attach a pic in second.

Sponsored

$uicide$hift

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Well thank you for this as this answered a question a lot of us have been guessing about lately! :like:

OP
OP
galleywinter

galleywinter

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Attached pics of what the factory plug looks like under dash in the orig. thread. I'll order the adapter plug for the Cherokee. It should be here in a couple days and I'll let everyone know how that worked. If that doesn't work I guess it's wait on a JL specific one or hard wire. I'll wait. I should clarify these adapters I'm trying are for the Tekonsha brake controller. If you use a different brake you will need a different plug. I'll update later. But no kidding. Look at the pic. The Ram controller looks identical to the Cherokee one. Same number of wires, same colors, same number of pins in the same location. Weird.

bam1111

First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Found it! On mine, it's tight to the exterior side of the drivers side footwell. It's either tied tightly or has a very short wire lead making it difficult to even photograph. Thanks for pointing us to the correct location. Now, what is that single blue and white wire I found under the passenger footwell!

OP
OP
galleywinter

galleywinter

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Found it! On mine, it's tight to the exterior side of the drivers side footwell. It's either tied tightly or has a very short wire lead making it difficult to even photograph. Thanks for pointing us to the correct location. Now, what is that single blue and white wire I found under the passenger footwell!
Oh man. I haven't been on that side yet and hopefully never need to lol. Ya, the plug we are talking about for the brake controller you can break it away from the zip tie or whatever it is holding it against the big bundle of wires. It makes it easier to get to. I did it gently but makes plugging in allot easier.

Sponsored

FatBoy01

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Wrangler Sahara; 2001 Harley FatBoy; 2018 Wrangler Rubicon JL (Ordered)
Occupation
Retired @ 55
Oh man. I haven't been on that side yet and hopefully never need to lol. Ya, the plug we are talking about for the brake controller you can break it away from the zip tie or whatever it is holding it against the big bundle of wires. It makes it easier to get to. I did it gently but makes plugging in allot easier.
Thanks for taking the time to post this info here @galleywinter! PLEASE do come back and let us know if you find a controller harness that indeed does work with this connector/in regard to the JL/JLU. You'd be helping alot of JL owner's.

bam1111

First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
LOL - thanks for this info. It’s pack tightly against that exterior of the car. I may never had found that if you hadn’t posted. Thanks again.

digitalbliss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1979 CJ7
Checking to see if anyone has found a Brake Control Adapter for their Tekonsha P3 controller yet?
With my other JLUR I always ordered the conversion kit from E-Trailer to turn the factory 4-Pin to a 7-Pin plug. It came with the plug, wiring to run up front thru the frame to the battery and then back under dash to hook up to my brake controller. I always needed the 7-way because my trailer has the e-brakes and no I'm not towing over the recommended 3500 lbs. It always worked great, just kind of a pain in the butt install.

Forward to the new JL. It comes with the 7-way plug factory and like with all vehicles with the 7-way tow package it has the plug under the dash to plug the controller into. I happy ro see this and eliminate having to do the hard way. The problem is E-Trailer doesn't have an adapter plug for the JL yet. I even called Tekonsha tech support and he said nothing available, hard wire it. I told him no thanks. the beauty of having a factory 7-Pin tow package is that it's plug and play. I'm not cutting the female plug off of my are JL to hardwire.

So I tried a Tekonsha Brake Control harness for the Ram trucks that fit perfect male to female under the dash. Went out to deer camp, hooked up and when I started to pull the back wheels of the dual axels would drag. Unhook the brake controller and it was fine. Nothing wrong with the brake controller, my trailer or the factory plug so I'm thinking using the Ram plug even though it fits isn't going to work. For the Ram it's a 3024-P harness. So I'm looking around today and they have a 30-14-P for 2014-present Cherokees/GC. It looks identical to the 3024-P. I'm thinking about rolling the dice and seeing if the Cherokees plug works but it looks identical to the Rams 3024. does anyone use the Tekonsha and what did you do for a Brake Control Harness?? The one on top is the 3014 that is for Cherokee and the one blow is the 3024 for Ram.
Untitled.jpg
IMG_3763.jpg IMG_3764.jpg
I had a P3 I used for hauling a camper. I liked it a lot and am very familiar with it. I'll install one in the JLUR as I plan on buying a popup for the fam. Hope you get all this sorted so that when the time is right, it makes it easy for me!

OP
OP
galleywinter

galleywinter

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I had a P3 I used for hauling a camper. I liked it a lot and am very familiar with it. I'll install one in the JLUR as I plan on buying a popup for the fam. Hope you get all this sorted so that when the time is right, it makes it easy for me!
That's what I'm pulling. It's a lightweight camper with trailer brakes. I'll update this thread Friday. Ordered the one for the Cherokee and will be here then. If that doesn't work I guess we are waiting on a JL specific one.
Sponsored