OP
galleywinter

galleywinter

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Hard Rock JKU, 2018 JL Rubi, 2020 Mercedes GLC 300(Wife) :-)
Occupation
Environmental Manager, VA Hospital
Thanks for the info. Can you share some pictures of where you mounted the controller in the Jeep?
I'll snap a pic @ lunch time. It's under the dash, left of the steering column, almost to the door. Think if we had a foot emergency brake it would be inline with it but mounted under the dash. I tired double sided tape so I wouldn't have to drill but it's textured and wouldn't work. No biggy. You can't see the screw holes anyway if you ever remove the cradle. It comes with a soft case to store the controller in when not on use and a cradle for mounting as well. I'll take a pic here in a few hours.
Sponsored

leafsfan1970

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 sahara unlimited
Okay guys. Sorry about the delay. My Rv was in the shop. Hooked her up today using the Cherokee wiring harness and it works perfect. The Ram harness didn't work but the Cherokee does. They look identical but... They must have different wires. So you need the Tekonsha 3014-p for the Jeep Cherokee. I'm sure someday they will come out with one for our JL's or just call the 3014 for Cherokee and Wrangler JL but if you are needing something now the Tekonsha 3014 wiring harness works perfect. Now this is for the Tekonsha P3 Prodigy brake controller and will only work with it. If you have another brand of brake controller you'll need to find what works for you. Links to the wiring harness and Brake controller here.
https://www.amazon.com/Tekonsha-901...=tekonsha+prodigy+p3+trailer+brake+controller
https://www.amazon.com/Tekonsha-301...&qid=1521509032&sr=1-1&keywords=tekonsha+3014
Just curious did you try using the manual boost on your controller when testing it ? I tried mine without the trailer connected and iit caused three messages in the message center .i haven't tested with a trailer connected yet i'm using a Primu IQ Electronic Brake Control,
i think i remember these right .
1. Service the electronic stability control
2. Stop/start disabled
3. auto back up disabled
Turned the jeep off and back on the everything cleared .

digitalbliss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1979 CJ7
Just curious did you try using the manual boost on your controller when testing it ? I tried mine without the trailer connected and iit caused three messages in the message center .i haven't tested with a trailer connected yet i'm using a Primu IQ Electronic Brake Control,
2. Stop/start disabled
3. auto back up disabled
Messages 2 and 3 seem to be completely reasonable. Not sure about number 1 though.

OP
OP
galleywinter

galleywinter

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Hard Rock JKU, 2018 JL Rubi, 2020 Mercedes GLC 300(Wife) :-)
Occupation
Environmental Manager, VA Hospital
2. Stop/start disabled
3. auto back up disabled
Nope. I didn't try the boost. Before when I tried using an adapter for the Ram my back wheels of the trailers duals would lock up and when I would hit any button on the controller I got the Red screen and "No trailer connected" If I unhooked the Brake controller the brakes quit locking up. So then I tried the Cherokee harness all I did was hook up my camper and take it around the block. No error messages on the controller and the brakes worked perfect. We are headed out tomorrow for a camping/trout fishing trip. I'll try the manual boost then. The short answer is I have never gotten any messages in the message center with the brake controller hooked up.

RonAZ

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Number one probably has to do with changes to sway control, which is part tow package, when trailer is not pluged in. Jeep is saying "why do you want trailer brakes when I have no trailer hooked up".

Sponsored

PaulSodapop

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 2007 JKUR, 1995YJ
Quick shout out THANKS galleywinter for posting this as you're a huge help! Heading up to the gold country in April and my wife really wants to use HER new JLUR instead of my JKUR (already setup for brake). Towing setup for trailer brake much easier on the JL, plug and play. We have a SoCal Teardrop, excited to tow with the new 8 speed.
Thanks again!!

uglywon

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLU

kculp

First Name
KEN
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sahara JLU
Occupation
Professor in the health sciences
Vehicle Showcase
61e7gYCIBDL._SX522_.jpg

Think of novice... I go from the controller to what??? I know there was excitement for the brake controller but what gets wired back to the hitch, the plug in receptacle etc. What to order??? Ideally I would also like the 4 pin plus 7 pin like the factory has.

FatBoy01

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Wrangler Sahara; 2001 Harley FatBoy; 2018 Wrangler Rubicon JL (Ordered)
Occupation
Retired @ 55
Think of novice... I go from the controller to what??? I know there was excitement for the brake controller but what gets wired back to the hitch, the plug in receptacle etc. What to order??? Ideally I would also like the 4 pin plus 7 pin like the factory has.
All the info you are asking for is addressed in this thread and in two other threads on this forum. "Hitch" and "Hitch wiring" Start reading here:
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/posts/131561/
---
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/posts/131325/

Last edited:

kculp

First Name
KEN
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sahara JLU
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
All the info you are asking for is addressed in this thread and in two other threads on this forum. "Hitch" and "Hitch wiring" Start reading here:
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/posts/131561/
---
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/posts/131325/
Followed those and posted there.... those go nowhere, they are stuck. I guess what you are saying is this was an adapter into the harness of an existing towing package at the factory, right? I was hoping for a complete solution and looks like all answers lead to the Mopar JL wiring part which is long and tedious install.

Sponsored

FatBoy01

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired @ 55
@kculp

Do you need to incorporate a brake controller into the install on your JL/JLU?

What exactly are you looking for in regard to a tow set-up for your JL/JLU?

Last edited:

kculp

First Name
KEN
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sahara JLU
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Brake controller isn't critical. I don't have factory towing harness but do have LED lighting package which uses a different tail lighting. My quest started out as a simple tie into the tail light till they changed the adapter from the JK which is where the other threads are stuck. I would be delighted with a simple 4 pin, but I will buy the controller etc. In my mind we just have to wait it out till aftermarket vendors catch up, there are no retailers addressing a plug and play solution.

Bottom line, I just want to pull my Harley motorcycle or a small utility trailer. When I read the brake controller adapter fit under the drivers side here thought it was a solution leading back to the rear bumper and no one went that far in this thread. Again. ... Everyone here is toying with the factory installed wiring harness where the brake controller plus in, right?

FatBoy01

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired @ 55
Bottom line, I just want to pull my Harley motorcycle or a small utility trailer. When I read the brake controller adapter fit under the drivers side here thought it was a solution leading back to the rear bumper and no one went that far in this thread. Again. ... Everyone here is toying with the factory installed wiring harness where the brake controller plus in, right?
I hear ya. I too pull a small aluminum trailer with my FatBoy on board. Anyway, for what you/we are doing, we do not need nor want a brake controller.

With that said, all you need is a hitch, a hitch ball, a drop receiver and tow harness on the Jl/JLU so you can have the lights on your trailer working.

Unfortunately, at this time there is no plug and play aftermarket or truly plug and play, OEM tow harness for the JL/JLU as there is for the JK/JKU.

You mentioned LED lighting as a concern. Yes, and also the small gauge of the JL/JLU tail light wiring is a concern..... and also CANBus.

Without beating this to death, your best bet today, if you do not have the factory installed tow package, is to buy the OEM tow wiring kit. Shop around as prices for same vary. I have seen the kit being offered for $176.00. So, you buy the kit and either install it yourself (not an easy job but doable) or pay the dealer the $125+ to install the kit. Sure, you can splice in an aftermarket 4 pin flat harness, hope it plays well with your JL/JLU and also know that it could impact warranty.... but for me, no way would I even consider doing this.

Suggest you buy the OEM harness kit yourself and bring that to the dealer to install if you are not doing the install yourself. What you save on buying the harness elsewhere will offset greatly the $ you are paying the dealer for the install.

Hitch itself can be purchased new or used on eBAY. As new, used can be found for $50+-. A new hitch can be had for $90+-

Drop hitch adapter will run you $15.00+-. Trailer ball $8.00+-

Mopar Tow Harness for 2018 JL/JLU
Manufacturer Part Number:
82215398AB
s-l1600.jpg

Last edited:

FatBoy01

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired @ 55
https://www.etrailer.com/question-286461.html

Brand New Development! Just got the email.

I posed the question at etrailer and it looks like they have a 4-pin product! Still involves running a wire to the battery....

https://www.etrailer.com/p-118782.html
Well, yes, a new development. Good news for all those that did not get the factory installed harness!
Like @RussJeep1

That offering was just dropped/made available apparently. OK, now all you need is a Guinea pig JLU/Jl owner to buy and try this new offering. Time will tell if this offering is in fact aok and works seamlessly with the JL/JLU.

p.s. My JL will have factory installed tow harness.
Sponsored

Last edited: