Sponsored

Wiring a new winch

Vanburi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 'Mojito' JLR
We are forgetting what someone already mentioned, they may have had to remove the bumper to access the winch and/or wiring in order to replace. That would drive the labor way up. You can't think in how long it takes to perform a task, it is book billable hours period.
Sponsored

dragoneggs

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Snazzberry Pearl JLR
Build Thread
Link
Clubs

No doubt that dealerships are not all created equal but
We are forgetting what someone already mentioned, they may have had to remove the bumper to access the winch and/or wiring in order to replace. That would drive the labor way up. You can't think in how long it takes to perform a task, it is book billable hours period.
That's why the dealer should provide a work order that details parts and labor hours. I would absolutely demand that.

OP
OP
JustDave

JustDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler
I checked for marks on the bolts & they didn't have to remove the bumper. Plus, I know you don't have to remove it to hook the wires up. The wires Warn supplied weren't long enough, so the winch was on for a few months before I originally installed it. I appreciate you trying to give the benefit of the doubt. I guess that's why I posted, to see if someone can come up with some excuse.

GtX

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0D
Occupation
Working for the man.
Vehicle Showcase
Got that invoice so we can see exactly what they charged for? That'll answer a lot of questions.

Sponsored

jaymz

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon Unlimited
That’s all fine and dandy for factory equipment, but I seriously doubt that there’s a book time for anything winch related.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Here's what they did

IMG_3981.jpeg
Looks like they spent a bit of time redoing the wiring, the connectors, and re-routing the wires. Still, if they spent 6.5 hours, that’d be a bit much.

If you get to speak to the Service Manager, I’d stay away from discussing the amount of time it took them; you’d never win that argument. I’d focus on the fact that they are charging you for the rewiring as much as the price of a new winch!

LKG

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 JLUR (soon), Gen 2 Cummins, 22 Sport Alt. R.I.P
Good grief. Did they at least kiss you after they screwed you!? Sorry OP, but that is highway robbery. I hate seeing people get taken advantage of like that.
Dinner and drinks, at the very least...

Sponsored

Bill_P

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2023 JLUWSXR
Occupation
Can't tell you..shhh
Let's just say the mechanic was paid $25 an hour. Let's say the shop doubles that. So, they're telling you it might have taken 16 hours to do that job? I could easily be wrong about the hourly rate and markup, but even if it turned out to be $100/hr. that is still an outrageous amount of time for that job, unless they pulled the engine for the routing.
Dealer rates around here are about $150/ hrs. Still, they're saying it took over 4 hours to route 2 wires and tighten 2 nuts. They didn't even wire a battery cutoff.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Dealer rates around here are about $150/ hrs. Still, they're saying it took over 4 hours to route 2 wires and tighten 2 nuts. They didn't even wire a battery cutoff.
True. But sounds like they gave those new wires a gorgeous new route through the engine bay... 😫

Bill_P

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2023 JLUWSXR
Occupation
Can't tell you..shhh
True. But sounds like they gave those new wires a gorgeous new route through the engine bay... 😫
Must have taken them on the scenic route.

Flatties 4ever

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
72Bronco, 95-12v,48Cj2a,53Cj3b,52M38-v8, JlSport
Occupation
Electrician
Diagnostics = $
Diagnostics on an unknown intermittent electrical problem = $$$$!!
Diagnostics on an unknown intermittent electrical problem at a dealership = $$$$$$$!!!!
Short answer; no you didn't get screwed.
Long answer; you kinda screwed yourself by ........... but that's a common problem with us humans.
Sponsored