www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

ive heard the white vinegar and water works well for water spots. and then a nice wax coat

Grimace-912

First Name
RT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Rubicon and 9 other bikes, trucks, cars :)
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase

Schism75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18’ JLU SAHARA
Guarantee Plexus and some newspaper balled up in your hand will get the job done flawlessly. That’s all I use!

Sponsored

BXFXJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Sahara
Admittedly this really isn’t just a Jeep issue, but you all are helpful, so...

My wrangler is new, and I’ve been washing by hand. I have (hard) well water at my house, but have been using a softener for the first few washes. Today I didn’t use the softener to test the difference.

Basically, there’s a film on all of my windows that won’t even scrub clean. It looks like water dried on the windshield without it being wiped off, but I’ve hand dried it while still wet, and attempted to re-wet and scrub the stuff off. Nothing. I’ve also used an organic window spray (similar to windex) and that doesn’t help at all.

Any thoughts? I doubt it’s calcium or other mineral deposits because I’ve been using soft water, but maybe it’s salt deposits that just bake on at the slightest hint of being dried? Tips on preventing this and cleaning the stuff off that’s stuck on there?

Photo attached.

D365636B-DFB0-4A3D-A2AB-FF541F8C6671.jpeg
I use this and it removes anything stubbornly stuck to the glass, I got this from Costco, think it was cheap for either a 2 or 3 pack, can't remember, it last a long time so I gave away the rest, wash my Wrangler 4x a year and clean the glass once a month, this product cleans the glass no problem, spray let it sit, wipe with paper towels, finish with another light spray and micro fiber.

IMG_20190805_125505.jpg
IMG_20190805_125604.jpg

Sand Flea

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Unlimited, Sahara
Occupation
Federal Firefighter, Retired
Basically, there’s a film on all of my windows that won’t even scrub clean. It looks like water dried on the windshield without it being wiped off, but I’ve hand dried it while still wet, and attempted to re-wet and scrub the stuff off. Nothing. I’ve also used an organic window spray (similar to windex) and that doesn’t help at all.

Any thoughts? I doubt it’s calcium or other mineral deposits because I’ve been using soft water, but maybe it’s salt deposits that just bake on at the slightest hint of being dried? Tips on preventing this and cleaning the stuff off that’s stuck on there?
I had a similar issue with my boat, and what I used was a kitchen glass top stove cleaner, but I think an automotive polish / compound would work too.
Once it is clean, put on a coat of cleaner wax.

Jammer

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bright white JL Rubicon

My wrangler is new, and I’ve been washing by hand. I have (hard) well water at my house, but have been using a softener for the first few washes. Today I didn’t use the softener to test the difference.

Photo attached.

Jeep wave is usually on here andcontact them they can probably help you if not Scoon here is on here all the time he can help you he's engineer for mypark on developing and making the Wrangler

Jammer

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bright white JL Rubicon
Ask Scott Blum he is on here and he's developer and engineer that helped make the Wrangler he can give you a lot of information he can help you with a lot he can probably tell you exactly what it is

ocrejects

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon, 2018 JLU Rubicon, 2018 Tiguan SE

Photo attached.

Lime away

Sponsored

ALRUI

First Name
Arnold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara, 2003 F150 S-Crew FX4, Others
0000 Steel Wool

YES, This is what you want to use, I used to wash home & commercial windows for a living and the steel wool is the way to go. That said it MUST BE 0000 or you'll screw things up quick! ALSO be sure to buy QUALITY steel wool, not some garbage that may not be graded properly!

DeekT

First Name
Deek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk'n JLU Rubicon (mine), 2018 White JLU Moab (wife)
Occupation
Retired
May I introduce you to: Bartenders Best Friend https://www.barkeepersfriend.com/

Mask off the window bottom first. Make the paste, let it sit on the glass a few minutes then scrub off. Finally finish with a clay bar. This works on shower glass too btw.
Barkeepers Friend is similar, but PPG recommends using Bon Ami. Been using it for over 30 years. Once you try it you will never try anything else.

FPrice

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Rubicon 4D
Mine had the same filmy crap on it too. Tried everything and nothing worked until I had the Jeep for the second month. Then suddenly, it was gone. 1 small rock, plink, new windshield.

OP
OP

frankmorris

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU
Alright, update. Bought some different products, but started with vinegar and it got it off right away. Some of the products I think I'll still be able to use for sure as my car progresses with age (and just preventive), but should have just started with the simple stuff ;)

JMurph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sahara
I’ve never had to use any kind of metal wool to clean my windshield. Lucky I don’t have hard water. But on a boat you should never bring steel wool on board because of the small fibers that fall off will rust shortly. Might be the same issue with the car if you don’t get all the steel fiber is out. Always use bronze wool on the boat and maybe on your car. Bronze wool won’t rust.
Sponsored