Htfan

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S - 3.6L
Vehicle Showcase
I ended up buying a 2021 Gladiator due to "truck needs". I had the windshield down this weekend and noticed it had the same foam in the corners

tempImage8SAv1p.png
Is there any type of part number on that foam piece? Wondering if it's available to add on prior model years?

Of course something similar could always be fabricated DIY with foam....
Sponsored

garyji

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 JK Sahara, 2021 JLU Willys
My 2021 Willys doesn't make any noise. Haven't folded the windshield down to check either.

G.

Htfan

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S - 3.6L
Vehicle Showcase
Because the Jeep Wranglers have the aerodynamics of a toaster oven, there is always going to be some wind noise from the A pillars and windshield. However, looks like the foam added on 2021s is meant to provide added sound deadening which is what I'm looking for...

redsyphon

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Occupation
IT Project Manager
Vehicle Showcase
I'm currently trying to track down a whistle from the windshield/A Pillers.

It's a 2018, so there is no foam at all. I've put a small bead of silicone in between the weld gaps, and I've cleaned / lubricated the rubber seals.

I'm hoping that helps, but I'm guessing this won't fix the issue completely.

Anyone here tried a spray in expanding foam option? Seems like it would fill gaps and possibly result in deadening some if the wind noise.

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
Spray in expanding foam is bad stuff. It holds moisture and will cause corrosion.

Sponsored

Jeep Hair

First Name
Bree
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Sport
I wanted to post my solution to this as it's been driving me insane. I haven't seen anyone else post about this (but admittedly haven't read every thread on the forums). Hopefully this is helpful to someone else.

I've been having a wind noise from the passenger side a-pillar that sounded like I had a window open slightly. Around 70 it would even whistle a bit, so I knew it was an air leak somewhere.

I spent hours chasing this down with painters tape and finally found the solution. Unfortunately it comes down to poor design...

The windshield outer frame is attached to an inner support structure that is welded to the outer frame using stitch welds. However, between those stitch welds there is enough of a gap for air to wrap around the a-pillar, come back forward and through the gap into the interior.

The solution is easy enough - fold the windshield down and apply RTV sealant to the seam underneath both of the drain spouts that run along both sides (you'll see the seam where the outer reinforcement is welded to the outer frame). Allow time to cure, and problem was solved.

Hope this helps someone else.

Edited - added pics. You can see the seam just on the inside of the window frame that air gets into. That seam wraps around to a weld joint just underneath the drain tube. Next to that you can see the RTV that I added to solve this problem.
AHhhhhh thanks, I keep hearing that too and swear the kids must not have rolled the window all the way up, but when I check, it is rolled all the way up. :LOL:

redsyphon

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Occupation
IT Project Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Filling the gaps helped a ton, but it's not completely gone. Still a faint whistle after you reach about 30-40 mph.

I'm betting there are some gaps I didn't notice and/or it's just a multi-faceted issue with different wind routes.

I may try to strip caulk it next time the window is down.

captainjack

First Name
Carol
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport S
Does anyone know if Jeep will give you the foam that is in the 2021s and if it would fit a 2018 JLU? THanks C

Sponsored

GMX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Sahara 2.0
Does anyone know if Jeep will give you the foam that is in the 2021s and if it would fit a 2018 JLU? THanks C
Reviving this thread...
Can anyone find a part number for this part which surrounds the A Pillar Drain Tube?
I searched but could not find anything.

GMX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Sahara 2.0
First, I used a smoke pencil at various locations around the windshield, doors and windows to try to locate any incoming air, but it didn't show anything, so I guess it is more the shape of the vehicle and exterior parts that cause the wind noise inside.

I have a great parts guy here and after a bit of searching he was able to find the part numbers for the Gladiator A pillar fillers. They are called Tube-drains. So with nothing to lose, (except about $50 bucks), I bought a set, left and right to install on my 2019 Rubicon to see if it would lessen wind noise in the cabin.

I began by trying to remove the windshield wipers, but after popping off the plastic caps and unscrewing the nuts, still could not get the wiper arms to budge off their shafts, so decided to just unbolt the four upper windshield bolts from inside the cabin and tilt the windshield forward a bit, holding onto it as I went to work. It would've been easier with the windshield laid down flat onto the hood, but no luck with that for me.

The stock drain tubes are held in placed by three or four plastic studs, so I used a plastic pry tool to carefully pop them out so nothing would break off in the mounting holes. The bottom of the drain tubes are encased in a small chunk of foam and I removed those also.

The replacement tubes are left and right and pop onto drain ends at the top of the windshield.
Their plastic studs are in the same places (one is in the bottom foam area, so don't miss that one) as the originals and went in easily. They have foam surrounding most of the drain tube, similar to the foam at just the bottom ends of the orignal tubes, just more of it.

After installing the new drains, I did notice a bit less wind noise at speed, I describe it as a "smoother turbulence" , but it is still there. It was worth a try but can't say it completely solved the wind noise problem.

Original drain tube
Jeep Wrangler JL Wind Noise from A-pillar - solved!!!! 20211231_140930

Removal tool

Jeep Wrangler JL Wind Noise from A-pillar - solved!!!! 20211231_141905

New tube drain on right.

Jeep Wrangler JL Wind Noise from A-pillar - solved!!!! 20211231_142524

Part numbers/descriptions

Jeep Wrangler JL Wind Noise from A-pillar - solved!!!! 20211231_141212

Last edited:

redsyphon

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Occupation
IT Project Manager
Vehicle Showcase
First, I used a smoke pencil at various locations around the windshield, doors and windows to try to locate any incoming air, but it didn't show anything, so I guess it is more the shape of the vehicle and exterior parts that cause the wind noise inside.

I have a great parts guy here and after a bit of searching he was able to find the part numbers for the Gladiator A pillar fillers. They are called Tube-drains. So with nothing to lose, (except about $50 bucks), I bought a set, left and right to install on my 2019 Rubicon to see if it would lessen wind noise in the cabin.

I began by trying to remove the windshield wipers, but after popping off the plastic caps and unscrewing the nuts, still could not get the wiper arms to budge off their shafts, so decided to just unbolt the four upper windshield bolts from inside the cabin and tilt the windshield forward a bit, holding onto it as I went to work. It would've been easier with the windshield laid down flat onto the hood, but no luck with that for me.

The stock drain tubes are held in placed by three or four plastic studs, so I used a plastic pry tool to carefully pop them out so nothing would break off in the mounting holes. The bottom of the drain tubes are encased in a small chunk of foam and I removed those also.

The replacement tubes are left and right and pop onto drain ends at the top of the windshield.
Their plastic studs are in the same places (one is in the bottom foam area, so don't miss that one) as the originals and went in easily. They have foam surrounding most of the drain tube, similar to the foam at just the bottom ends of the orignal tubes, just more of it.

After installing the new drains, I did notice a bit less wind noise at speed, I describe it as a "smoother turbulence" , but it is still there. It was worth a try but can't say it completely solved the wind noise problem.

Original drain tube

Removal tool

New tube drain on right.

Part numbers/descriptions

Thanks for the update and part numbers. Unable to find the parts online for a decent shipping price ($50 - $115 depending on site).

@AllMoparParts.com do you have these parts (68488685AA & 68488684AA)? I did a quick search, but came up empty using the site.q

JTTexAM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Rubicon, 2002 TJ
I wanted to post my solution to this as it's been driving me insane. I haven't seen anyone else post about this (but admittedly haven't read every thread on the forums). Hopefully this is helpful to someone else.

I've been having a wind noise from the passenger side a-pillar that sounded like I had a window open slightly. Around 70 it would even whistle a bit, so I knew it was an air leak somewhere.

I spent hours chasing this down with painters tape and finally found the solution. Unfortunately it comes down to poor design...

The windshield outer frame is attached to an inner support structure that is welded to the outer frame using stitch welds. However, between those stitch welds there is enough of a gap for air to wrap around the a-pillar, come back forward and through the gap into the interior.

The solution is easy enough - fold the windshield down and apply RTV sealant to the seam underneath both of the drain spouts that run along both sides (you'll see the seam where the outer reinforcement is welded to the outer frame). Allow time to cure, and problem was solved.

Hope this helps someone else.

Edited - added pics. You can see the seam just on the inside of the window frame that air gets into. That seam wraps around to a weld joint just underneath the drain tube. Next to that you can see the RTV that I added to solve this problem.

This fix works, and thank you!!! I folded down the windshield and taped every welded seam with duct tape as a temp fix and BOOM! Will go back soon with the RTV and make it permanent.

Jeep24Dmb

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Durango
What am I looking at? Can someone show me where exactly where to apply the fix on the pics?? Thanks!
Sponsored