Sponsored

“A pillar” wind noise

Waderman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep jl rubicon
This post is kind of a follow-up to a post I did about a week ago. I recently purchased a 2019 Rubicon 2-door hardtop and have had several issues with it. I took it back to the dealer and all the minor issues have been corrected. There is one glaring issue that is still unresolved and was hoping for some feedback from other forum members. The vehicle has a really obnoxious whistling/vibrating type wind noise from the base of the driver side “a pillar”. The passenger side “a pillar” does not make this noise. The dealership worked on the issue for almost 2 days and finally decided that they cannot fix it and the noise is normal. The noise is not normal, I know the difference between regular wind noise and something else. I’m not exactly thrilled with this dealership but will not release their name at this point. I’m going to wait and see how they’re going to handle the situation when I go back there and demand satisfaction (they still have the vehicle). Furthermore, FCA has a case involving another wrangler with the same issue. The bottom line is the noise is real and obviously not normal if the passenger side is not making it. It absolutely blows my mind that a vehicle that cost this much would have these issues. I contacted FCA and they basically brushed me off and said it’s the dealer’s responsibility to fix it, and there’s really nothing they can do at this point. Consequently, if I can’t get satisfaction from the dealership in terms of a buyback or trade for similar vehicle, I’m going to contact a lemon law attorney. According to Wisconsin state statute, if the vehicle cannot be fixed in four separate attempts, I have grounds to file a lemon law claim against FCA. I just wanted to make people aware of my dilemma and if anyone out there has had a similar experience with this mysterious “a pillar” wind noise, please let me know. I’m also wondering if anybody with this issue has had any success resolving it. Thank you.
Sponsored

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
I would say your A-pillar noise is not normal. I have a 19 JLR Hardtop and I have no noise from the A-pillar.

BTW..Wisconsin has very good consumer laws compared to other States.

ziggybumwah

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS, 1995 Camaro Z28
I have it. Been there since last July, took it to the dealer last fall and they replaced some seals on the body side of the door recess but it’s still there.

Since it’s finally nice out I’ve been experimenting. I ruled out the windshield after fully taping it. Used a stethescope to pinpoint the noise to the door seal adjacent to the door window and a-pillar, and finally confirmed it by taping off that section while the door was closed and successfully got rid of the noise. Pulled off the tape while driving and it was immediately back. Planning on taking it back to the dealer soon to see what they can do.
Also I have the squealing noise with either the hardtop or soft top on.

OP
OP

Waderman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep jl rubicon
Thanks for that info. I will ask the dealership to replace the driver side door seal. Hopefully that resolves it! I really don’t want to demand a buyback or trade. That would be an awful ugly can of worms to open. I’m sure that’s the last thing any dealership wants to deal with (and doubt they would do it). On the other hand, I don’t think it’s right that a $50,000 vehicle should have this issue. The noise is annoying as hell, especially at highway speeds.

OP
OP

Waderman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep jl rubicon
Just an update. They replaced the driver side door seal and the noise still persists. I talked to the manager about a buyback or trade and I’m waiting to hear back from them. I would hope, as a goodwill gesture on behalf of the dealership, they will do something to make it right. The wind noise is not normal and unacceptable. I’m really really disappointed.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Waderman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep jl rubicon
Oh one other thing, jeep customer service is worthless. I see where they come on this forum and tell people that are having problems to contact them. The truth is they will do nothing other than tell you that it’s up to the dealership to fix the problem.

GreyFox

First Name
Brandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 JKU, 19 JL
Buy back for wind noise?! :CWL: Have you taken your Jeep to another dealer to ask them?

OP
OP

Waderman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep jl rubicon
Yes, wind noise. It’s really bad at highway speed and it only comes from the driver side, not the passenger side. This is not normal wind noise. Air is getting inside somehow in creating a whistling/vibrating type noise that almost sounds like somebody’s shuffling a deck of cards. If the dealer won’t take the vehicle back I’m going to have two other dealers try to fix the problem. I’ve already spoke to a lemon law attorney and, after the third unsuccessful repair attempt, they will have grounds to file a lemon law suit against FCA.

Steveo

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Wrangler JLUR, '23 F150 Rattler
Occupation
Retired Code Monkey
I've had the same issue since day one, although I'd describe the noise on mine as sort of a radio-static-like "crackle" noise. My local dealership took a shot at a fix by replacing the rubber around the driver's door glass. At first I thought it was fixed but on a recent desert trip (lots of wind) it's back in full effect. I think it's turbulence or the like around the mirror, but that's just a theory. I'm interested to hear if someone gets it fixed.

OP
OP

Waderman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep jl rubicon
Yes, wind noise. It’s really bad at highway speed and it only comes from the driver side, not the passenger side. This is not normal wind noise. Air is getting inside somehow in creating a whistling/vibrating type noise that almost sounds like somebody’s shuffling a deck of cards. If the dealer won’t take the vehicle back I’m going to have two other dealers try to fix the problem. I’ve already spoke to a lemon law attorney and, after the third unsuccessful repair attempt, they will have grounds to file a lemon law suit against FCA.

Sponsored

cjaama

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Yeah man, the buyback thing's not happening and as I mentioned in your other thread lemon laws usually require the defect to be substantial.
I'm afraid you're underestimating how much money and effort goes into a buyback/trade.
Also, keep in mind, there is no difference between the A pillar in your $50k Rubi and a $30k Sport and you're talking about a vehicle where the top comes off, the doors come off and the windshield drops. Your getting wind noise in the place where all three meet and it is not like the wind gently slips over this area on these. I understand your frustration, but it does sound like the dealer is trying now.

OP
OP

Waderman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep jl rubicon
The noise is originating from the base of the a pillar, not the top. There’s actually an FCA case describing this exact same issue. This is why I have a problem with the dealer claiming it’s normal when it’s clearly not. Also, if it was normal, the noise should be coming from the other side as well, it is not. I’ll see what the dealer says, you’re probably right about the buyback, big pain in the ass for them. If that doesn’t work out I’m confident, after a couple more unsuccessful repair attempts, that I’ll have grounds to file a Lemon law suit.

cjaama

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Here is a link to the Lemon Law for Wisconsin. No way man. Please see below. I’ve bolded and italicized the points that are deal breakers for you.

https://wisconsindot.gov/Documents/dmv/shared/lemonlawafter.pdf

What is a "lemon"?

A new vehicle that is no more than a year old and still under warranty is classified as a "lemon"

if:

• It has a serious defect the manufacturer or dealer(s) didn't fix in four tries, or

• It has one or more defects that prevent you from using it for 30 days or more (the 30 days

need not be consecutive).

Is your vehicle a lemon?

Your vehicle is a lemon if all of the following statements are true:

• You bought or leased a new vehicle.

• The vehicle is a car, truck, motorcycle or motor home or other qualifying vehicle

described below.

• The vehicle developed a defect or defects during its first year and before the warranty

expired.

The defect seriously harms the vehicle's use, value, or safety.

• One of the following happened during the vehicle's first year and before the warranty

expired: o The dealer failed four times to fix the same system defect; OR o The

vehicle was “out of service” for 30 days or more due to defects

What is a defect?

A defect (or a nonconformity) covered by the Lemon Law must seriously affect the use, value or

safety of your vehicle and must be covered by the warranty. Conditions that result from abuse,

neglect or unauthorized modification or alteration of the motor vehicle by a consumer do not

qualify as defects the manufacturer must repair under the law.

An irritating rattle may not be "serious" enough to make your car eligible for a Lemon Law claim.

OP
OP

Waderman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep jl rubicon
Well, maybe the issue is serious enough, maybe it’s not, that may boil down to the quality of the attorney involved and how persuasive he/she is.