First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 wrangled jl sport
Occupation
Retired, School bus driver
Hi all, I have owned my JL two-door sport for just four weeks now, but I’ve been off Road with her three times already. My only options on the truck are 4.10 rear gears and the 2 L engine, I ended up putting 33’s on her but I’m still stock height. Anyways my question is I really like the look of the jeep, and I am not fond of any of the designs of the aftermarket bumpers that winches can be mounted to. I’m also not a fan of spending $1000 on a Rubicon steel bumper. So my question is are there any alternatives to mounting a winch for four wheeling on your own? I’m scared to go out on my own without a winch, thoughts? Pics for attention.

B93C75E2-73BB-4CEE-B907-2672647EE1F1.jpeg
Hi all, I have owned my JL two-door sport for just four weeks now, but I’ve been off Road with her three times already. My only options on the truck are 4.10 rear gears and the 2 L engine, I ended up putting 33’s on her but I’m still stock height. Anyways my question is I really like the look of the jeep, and I am not fond of any of the designs of the aftermarket bumpers that winches can be mounted to. I’m also not a fan of spending $1000 on a Rubicon steel bumper. So my question is are there any alternatives to mounting a winch for four wheeling on your own? I’m scared to go out on my own without a winch, thoughts? Pics for attention.

B93C75E2-73BB-4CEE-B907-2672647EE1F1.jpeg
Sponsored

Lil Punk'n

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 wrangled jl sport
Occupation
Retired, School bus driver
I know don't want spend a lot of cash.
I got this set up for a little over a grand at Quadratec:
20190330_152625.jpg

bruno747

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Rubicon Recon 2dr 6spd
Just know that the hitch mounted winches aren't as strong as a good frame channel mount.

I know more than one person that bent things pulling with an 8000 pound winch in a hitch mount.

You can always wait for a Rubicon bumper on Craigslist. They should start appearing as people start upgrading more of the jls.

You can also snag one of these for a more powerful version of a come along. Language warning this is an ave video.

MedicalCowboy

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JLU
Occupation
Pipefitter
At the risk of insulting your intelligence. I highly recommend you educate yourself first on the various recovery methods. Make sure your know what you are getting yourself into.

Also, NEVER offroad alone. That is the #1 thing you dont do. You could snap a line and injure yourself and leave yourself stranded. You could be so stuck beyond the levels of single recovery that could leave you stranded. I could go on and on with the negatives of being alone.
;)

5D0A4942-7D57-440F-BC08-A5B6ED759397.jpeg

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

That is a nice bumper. I wonder if the led fog lights would fit in the bumper?
thats the only problem i have right now is my stock fogs didnt go inlike they said. then i realized that the bumper was made for a jk and happends to fit the JL. still trying to figure out how i am gonna make an adapter but they do sale the lights for like 60 bucks or so that bolt up

Sponsored

F800

First Name
'
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU
to be honest i have the rampage front bumper and it was super cheap. and on there site is was on sale for 254 if i remember right. quadra tech has it for 274 with free shipping too heres the link https://www.rampageproducts.com/rampage-99306-rock-rage-bumpers. it list as its for a jk and jl. ill tell you it fit my JLU 18 sport. its a great bumper. made with 3/16 steel plate and setup for a 10K winch.

edit: added a pic with the bumper on my jeep i need to get a winch ordered when i get more spare cash saved up!

IMG_0384.JPG

I actually love this bumper. Seems to be out of stock a lot of places but the cheap price is a bonus. Still looking. Feel free to post more pics of your rig! Looks great

F800

First Name
'
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU
At the risk of insulting your intelligence. I highly recommend you educate yourself first on the various recovery methods. Make sure your know what you are getting yourself into.

Also, NEVER offroad alone. That is the #1 thing you dont do. You could snap a line and injure yourself and leave yourself stranded. You could be so stuck beyond the levels of single recovery that could leave you stranded. I could go on and on with the negatives of being alone.
Agreed off road trails alone can be dangerous. But just to make a maybe or maybe not obvious note, back roads are not considering off roading.

So explore and explore deep. Venture into the unknown and bring a garmin for piece of mind if you’re worried
Sponsored