Sponsored

Ok, you convinced me. Winch install options - or does a Sport S deserve the slippery slope

nostatic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JL Sport S PDN, '18 R1200GS Rallye
Occupation
chief bottle washer
So I’ve been slowly gearing up the Sport S to do some off-road, and have already done a few relatively easy trails. Decades ago I spent a fair chunk of time off-road so I know how to keep the rubber side up, but I also know that stuff happens, then you winch.

after 3 months and 5k miles, I can already tell that a Jeep will be in the household until I can’t drive no more. Luckily my wife loves them too, though only 2-door need reply. So a few years from now I could buy the Sport S at the end of the lease, or I could trade it in for a fairly stripped Rubicon. Whatever the ride, it will serve as a daily driver and once the virus slackens a bit I’ll likely being doing a 300 mile roundtrip commute once a week.

A couple of options:

1. Keep it as is (with recovery strap, shovel boards, and just don’t push it)
2. Add the Rock Hard winch plate that fits on the plastic bumper along with a warn evo8 or quadratic stealth (both synthetic line to help keep weight down). That’s about $800-900 out of pocket and looks a bit klunky. Easy to put back stock if I decided to turn it back in at the end of lease - unless they are interested in mods,
3. Add the rock hard aluminum midsize bumper with lowered winch mounting point along with one of the above mentioned winches. That’s about $2k all in

im trying to keep weight down as I don’t want to do a lift yet. Option three adds the least weight, adding the winch plate to the plastic bumper is easy because stuff stays in places but gains a bit more weight.

tihe other factors is how robust a Sport will be. I know it does not have the heavier axles and lockers but wondering if it still isi a platform that is deserving of some choice mods and return on the investment.

dont really want this to turn into a money pit project - trying to put away retirement funds that are more important over the long term. But I am willing to fund certain amounts of our fun in the dirt.

its always something...
Sponsored

zakaron

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys 4dr, 2004 Pontiac GTO, 1986 Honda Nighthawk S
Since some of your concerns are weight, easily return to stock, and not becoming a money pit, then if you don’t mind a little manual work you can always get something like the 3 ton Wyeth Scott come along puller. No bumper modification needed and you only need to carry it when you go on the trail.

Jared1956

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Rubicon 1964 CJ3B 1967 CJ5
I had a winch on two of my rigs over the years.....rarely used them. I carry traction boards now and a manual come-a-long now just in case. I’ll never do a winch again. I don’t beat on my stuff that hard, that’s what UTV’s are for.
If I was you, I wouldn’t waste a dime on lease. Drive it, enjoy it, learn what you do and don’t need, and next time get what fits that need. I always tell people, “Don’t buy a Rubicon until you get a regular Jeep stuck.” 99% of the people out there will never get their regular Wranglers stuck.

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
There may be yet another option for you @nostatic ......

There is a dude with a you tube channel: Matt’s off-road recovery. He runs a off-road recovery business as you might conclude. Anyway, he does NOT have a permanently mounted winch. Rather, he has what appears to be a “tow receiver” of some kind on the front of his rig. When he needs the winch, he digs it out of the back of his rig and hooks it on the front (I assume he could also hook into a receiver in the back too?). Pops the hood, clamps on, and starts pulling.

is it an ”elegant Looking” solution? Nope. But if you don’t want to be lugging around a winch everywhere you go in the city or suburbs, it does seem to be an option. Put it into the back of your rig when you go out and use it if you need it.

obviously, I am no expert here and I know about as much about this stuff as I know about nuclear fusion at the core of the sun. Bit, I did want to give you one more “possible” option......

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
Since some of your concerns are weight, easily return to stock, and not becoming a money pit, then if you don’t mind a little manual work you can always get something like the 3 ton Wyeth Scott come along puller. No bumper modification needed and you only need to carry it when you go on the trail.
You can also ”winch“ with a hi lift jack and a couple of straps.

Sponsored

Oldbear

First Name
Dwayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel; 20 JL Sport S 2 door
A stock sport, esp. with a limited slip dif, is far more capable than most people will ever need. Remember people were wheeling the old cJ’s everywhere, and stock they are a LONG way from where you Sport is. You
CAN get anything stuck, but if you pay attention and use a little common sense the Sport will take you pretty much anywhere you want to go. As noted a come-along or portable winch, a shovel, and a snatch strap you throw in when you’re headed out will more than likely take care of any issues you may have. Unless you are into extreme off road your stock Sport will be just fine.

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
@Sean K.

Thank you. Both of your posts above are very helpful to me. I have a JLUR and I only do “light” off-roading. Bunny slopes. I have been going back and forth on “needing” a winch. Your posts above are well-written and just one more thing for me to consider.

I am currently leaning towards waiting longer and thinking harder about a winch. No rush For me.

Thank you again.

RockyMtJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon Unlimited
If you know you are going to be off-roading enough to require a winch, why would you not trade in for a rubicon to get the lockers, larger OEM lift, and tires?

OP
OP
nostatic

nostatic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
chief bottle washer
Thanks all for the perspective. Given all the uncertainty with things (jobs, markets) my current rig stays for the next few years. The Rubi option would be when the lease is up in 3 years but I’d like to see what I can do with a Sport. I’m fairly prudent while wheeling, so the most common challenge I see is getting high centered. I’ve got a bottle jack, boards and a good shovel but each situation is different. I’ve thought a light the Hi-lift but am somewhat hesitant due to the reputation of the tool and I know that it can be easy to lose focus then wham.

Right now I’m pretty well stocked to where I could dig out or have someone pull - I can even provide the receiver point if need be. If I find that I want more piece of mind then I’ll bite the bullet and winch up. For the time being we’re not going to be that far off the beaten path so worst case scenario we hike out. Wouldn’t be a fun day but I’ve had worse...

OP
OP
nostatic

nostatic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
chief bottle washer
Hadn't really looked into the come along - the Wyeth Scott looks like it might be the ticket. I already have tree saver, just need to get a snatch block and maybe an extension (snatch strap wouldn't be the right add-on if I understand my physics).

Sponsored

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
Hadn't really looked into the come along - the Wyeth Scott looks like it might be the ticket. I already have tree saver, just need to get a snatch block and maybe an extension (snatch strap wouldn't be the right add-on if I understand my physics).
The only thing that I would be concerned about as a total “winching newbie” is that you can’t get out of the way—- out of the path of failure of something breaks loose and snaps back. With a bumper mounted winch and remote, you can stand well to the side. With a manual lever winch, you are standing right there in the path..........

@Sean K. , I value your opinion. Thoughts on the above?

OP
OP
nostatic

nostatic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
chief bottle washer
True, but the same safety protocol should apply....loop the handles of a soft sided tool bag through the wire rope on the come along. Or...if one is truly concerned, you could replace it with synth.

No free lunches though....a manual come along is far more dangerous than an electric winch.
I'm looking at the synthetic cable version and already have a winch line dampener. Between that and using soft shackles I think that minimizes as best I can. It would be the last resort tool to get unstuck.

My goal is to never to have to use it. But I don't always realize my goals in life. If only I could have hit a curve ball...

Terminex

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4XE
Occupation
Fixing stupid....
If you want to there is no reason you cannot go with the rock hard bumper & winch, then swap it over to the new jeep later, putting the plastic bumper back on for the return to the lease company.

I have the rock hard aluminum with a winch & love it.

(not telling you you need a winch, I think all the other comments are valid & good advice, just reminding you that installing the bumper & winch are not permanent)

OP
OP
nostatic

nostatic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
chief bottle washer
I liked this one

Sponsored