Winch options.

Matt2036

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JL
Hi all, I have owned my JL two-door sport for just four weeks now, but I’ve been off Road with her three times already. My only options on the truck are 4.10 rear gears and the 2 L engine, I ended up putting 33’s on her but I’m still stock height. Anyways my question is I really like the look of the jeep, and I am not fond of any of the designs of the aftermarket bumpers that winches can be mounted to. I’m also not a fan of spending $1000 on a Rubicon steel bumper. So my question is are there any alternatives to mounting a winch for four wheeling on your own? I’m scared to go out on my own without a winch, thoughts? Pics for attention.

B93C75E2-73BB-4CEE-B907-2672647EE1F1.jpeg
Sponsored

Steveo

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Wrangler JLUR, '23 F150 Rattler
Occupation
Retired Code Monkey
Sounds to me like you've eliminated your only two options for mounting a winch. I think your only other option is to get a come-along and that sounds like a lot of work!

Edit: Last I heard AEV is coming out with some bumpers that look OE but I very much doubt they'll be much (if any) cheaper than the OE steel bumper.

https://www.aev-conversions.com/aev-releases-jl-colorado-products-sema-2018/

robaw

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU MOAB (MOJITO!), 2009 Honda CBR600RR
I've seen winch mounting plates that can be installed into a hitch receiver. Definitely not ideal but might be OK in some scenarios.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
A Bush winch costs about $500 and bolts to your wheel. Power from your vehicle turns the pulley and winds the rope. If that's too much to spend, find an old wheel with the same bolt pattern and make some spacer/nuts to bolt it to your wheel. If you know a good machinist, you could make one for next to nothing.

PhoenixJLUR

First Name
Keifer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
How about just starting with a winch mounting plate made for the JL. I have Mopar’s winch plate, it was pricey but my only option at the time. Many aftermarket (and cheaper) options are available now. After that I’m sure you could modify your stock bumper with some careful trimming to tuck a winch in there. The JK guys did it all the time.

Sponsored

MedicalCowboy

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JLU
Occupation
Pipefitter
I’d recommend a hand winch. I keep one with my rigging just in case. You never know when you might need to winch from the side or the back.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer

EODMSgt

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
As robaw said, there are receiver hitch options out there. I know several people that used the Warn models with no issues. As in your case, they did not want to put winch bumpers on so they used the hitch mount. It also allowed them to use the winch on multiple vehicles. A come-a-long is a great tool and I remember using a hi-lift jack with straps to pull myself out back in the mid-eighties before I purchased a winch.
warn_zeon_8_multi_mount_portable_winch_back2.jpg

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

to be honest i have the rampage front bumper and it was super cheap. and on there site is was on sale for 254 if i remember right. quadra tech has it for 274 with free shipping too heres the link https://www.rampageproducts.com/rampage-99306-rock-rage-bumpers. it list as its for a jk and jl. ill tell you it fit my JLU 18 sport. its a great bumper. made with 3/16 steel plate and setup for a 10K winch.

edit: added a pic with the bumper on my jeep i need to get a winch ordered when i get more spare cash saved up!

IMG_0384.JPG

Dagwood

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL, 1999 Jeep xj, 2008 Scion XB, 2015 Scion XB, 1966 Ford F100, 1969 Oldsmobile

That'll make a winch bumper look much better.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Matt2036

Matt2036

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JL
OP
OP
Matt2036

Matt2036

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JL
I’d recommend a hand winch. I keep one with my rigging just in case. You never know when you might need to winch from the side or the back.
Any particular model or style you recommend?

MedicalCowboy

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JLU
Occupation
Pipefitter
Any particular model or style you recommend?
I got mine from tractor supply. Just get one that’s a weight rating that you’re happy with, and while you’re at it go ahead and grab you a snatch block. :beer:

Tritonman

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JLU
Occupation
ITS Duty Manager
At the risk of insulting your intelligence. I highly recommend you educate yourself first on the various recovery methods. Make sure your know what you are getting yourself into.

Also, NEVER offroad alone. That is the #1 thing you dont do. You could snap a line and injure yourself and leave yourself stranded. You could be so stuck beyond the levels of single recovery that could leave you stranded. I could go on and on with the negatives of being alone.

TonyM

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A JL Soon.
Vehicle Showcase
to be honest i have the rampage front bumper and it was super cheap. and on there site is was on sale for 254 if i remember right. quadra tech has it for 274 with free shipping too heres the link https://www.rampageproducts.com/rampage-99306-rock-rage-bumpers. it list as its for a jk and jl. ill tell you it fit my JLU 18 sport. its a great bumper. made with 3/16 steel plate and setup for a 10K winch.

edit: added a pic with the bumper on my jeep i need to get a winch ordered when i get more spare cash saved up!

IMG_0384.JPG
That is a nice bumper. I wonder if the led fog lights would fit in the bumper?
Sponsored