First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Willys in Sarge Green
Occupation
truck driver
I have a '21 JLU Willys that's getting a TeraFlex 2.50" lift with the 9550 VSS shocks, and will be running 35x12.50 17s.

I find myself wondering if I need a new steering stabilizer too. Maybe? Probably?

Is there anything else I should do to proactively avoid death wobble?
Sponsored

gato

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
There are many people, myself included, running 37" tires with the stock steering stabilizer (specially the later models like in your 2021) with no issues.

You should run your lift and see how it rides. You can add a new stabilizer later if you feel the need (e.g. too much bump steer or shimmy in the steering wheel when going over bumps).

Chances are you will not need it.

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I have a '21 JLU Willys that's getting a TeraFlex 2.50" lift with the 9550 VSS shocks, and will be running 35x12.50 17s.

I find myself wondering if I need a new steering stabilizer too. Maybe? Probably?

Adj. Track bar in front and t.b. relocation bracket in the rear. The track bars on these rigs are garbage.

At 2.5” of lift your axle is going to shift a 1/2” so not only for centering your axle but also for more stability and better bushings.

The rear you can get away with factory bar for now, but the relocation bracket will raise the track bar which will re-center your axle and raise roll center for better handling. Even though at 2.5” you won’t tell that big of a difference in roll center, it will still stabilize your rig, and it will perform better on and off road.

hoag4147

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Vehicle Showcase
If this kit is like most, the 2.5” listed is for Rubicons. You will most likely see closer to 4” on Willys. I would also look into adj front LCAs.

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
The OEM steering stabilizer is plenty adequate.

Sponsored

OP
OP
omnitonic

omnitonic

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
truck driver
Adj. Track bar in front and t.b. relocation bracket in the rear. The track bars on these rigs are garbage.
The stock track bars really are garbage, and you're right. I should probably just order a set on general principles. I was holding off to see how the lift actually came out with my bumpers and whatnot, but really, even if I end up not NEEDING track bars, I would never regret upgrading the track bars. I may as well change them while I'm under there anyway. One and done.

If this kit is like most, the 2.5” listed is for Rubicons. You will most likely see closer to 4” on Willys. I would also look into adj front LCAs.
I have the LCAs from the Mopar lift. I'm on a Rubicon takeoff suspension now. I got about 1" of extra lift from that, with all my bolt-ons. I'm figuring I might get another 1" with this kit, but it's extremely hard to say.

I'm taking everybody's advise that the stock steering stabilizer should be fine, and I will divert the last of my dwindling budget toward track bars. I knew I was forgetting something, right? There's always something else with these things.

Roadmaster

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota PU
Roadmaster has just come out with the Exact Center! Check it out
<iframe title="vimeo-player" src="https://player.vimeo.com/video/655146025?h=fdb1e0acc6" width="640" height="360" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen>

The evolution in steering control.

Jeep Wrangler JL Will I need a new steering stabilizer? ec_internal
What is it? Exact Center is a steering stabilizer but it's different from anything else on the market today.
Why is it unique? It's proactive. While other systems slowly ramp up forces to control steering, they do nothing if you are traveling straight down the road. As you turn, these stabilizers will begin to push back and help control your steering but only after it's wandered. Exact Center uses all of its force to prevent any movement, resulting in a tight, responsive feel. In summary, others reactively increase steering control as you move away from center, whereas Exact Center proactively stops poor handling characteristics before they begin.
Why is this important? Other stabilizers have a soft center, giving a spongy feel that allows the vehicle to wander. Ramping up force gradually like this means that there is more play, more wander and more white-knuckling. Exact Center provides more of a sports-car-like feel and significantly reduces driver fatigue.
Will this help with "Death Wobble"? Yes. Some vehicles, under just the right circumstances, will develop a harmonic vibration, resulting in the front tires violently racking from side to side. This is known as "Death Wobble" and although rare, it is well known within the Jeep community. Exact Center stops the forces that cause it, greatly reducing the chance of it ever happening.
What vehicles will benefit from Exact Center? Most motorhomes, trucks, and Jeeps, as well as towed vehicles behind RVs.
Why would I want a steering stabilizer on my towed vehicle? Just like a shopping cart, your front tires want to spin around while backing up. As a result, you can easily damage your towed vehicle or the towing system due to jackknifing. Exact Center resists those forces, thereby allowing most towed vehicles to be backed up like a trailer. This is a game changer.​
<iframe src="" width="640" height="360" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; fullscreen; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited:
First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco 2020 Ram 5500 2020 Lincoln Aviato
The Exact Center units in the first Roadmaster offering will be geared to stock or near stock Wranglers, but will help many others. They will soon be making higher pressure units for the bigger tire lifted and long arm units. The first units will help any Wrangler modified or stock, but like the race driver who tried a unit you will want more pressure as the off road mods get more serious. As a Beta tester we have used a stock unit on a 98 TJ with V8, a 4" long arm lift, and 33" tires. The owner thought the stock unit was just right for his application. On any newer Wrangler the power steering will mask the centering pressure and the unit will be just about invisible. You will find the centering could make your Wrangler drive like a SUV. On a Wrangler with a up to date tight front end mechanicals It could give you the on the road control similar to what the new Bronco owners are experiencing. As a Beta tester we have installed over 100 units. Installs have included Rubicon's and stock and modified Wranglers, trucks, RV's in many classes including Super C, Class C, Class B, Class A gas and Class A Diesel Pusher, we also did ambulances, plow trucks, over the road tractors and much more. On just about everything we have found we could mount the units well out of harms way. Use Roadmaster to find current product availability and mounting specs for production products. https://roadmasterinc.com/products/rss/exactcenter.php
The Wrangler in the video being backed behind the motorhome is the 98 TJ with V8, a 4" long arm lift, and 33" tires. He drives on expressway 80 mph with one hand. Probably not the best idea in a 23 year old car, but just about everything is new or has been replaced over time.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Exact Center

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
johnd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Rubicon 392 XR
Occupation
Inventor
Vehicle Showcase

If I found the right hole on the highway and hit it at over 40 mph I could get death wobble to happen any time I wanted it. That is before I installed Exact Center, I had a new2018 (under 10000 miles) Wrangler LJ rubicon 2 dr. After I could hit same hole at any speed and just get a tiny shake.

Exact Center

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
johnd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Rubicon 392 XR
Occupation
Inventor
Vehicle Showcase

Michael, my 2018 JL Rubicon is the one in the Death Wobble demo on the Roadmaster video. In the case of my Wrangler, Exact Center would not allow the oscillations to start, they wanted to, but the hold at the center stoped them. If they can't start they cannot happen. Does Exact Center fix loose or worn steering issues? No, my Jeep was 10000 miles from new, it was bone stock, it had Death Wobble every time we hit the hole at anything 40 mph or over. But with EC it could not start. Fix any issues first.

music293

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sahara
Clubs

Some folks will say you need a new one, some will say the OEM is fine. Others still will suggest something else.

The only thing I can say with certainty is that you should lift, ride it, and then figure out what you think it needs.

Cheers!

OP
OP
omnitonic

omnitonic

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
truck driver
Roadmaster has just come out with the Exact Center! Check it out
I didn't see your post until now. I ended up lifting the Jeep, and never giving this matter another thought. The steering is quite acceptable, and I've thrashed it pretty hard.

I'm still interested in this product as insurance though. Sure, my steering components are fine right now, but even if I hadn't installed the big shoes, they would have worn out eventually. A stabilizer that makes death wobble almost impossible sounds like a good idea to me, in case the component wear sneaks up on me.

I'm going to take a look at installing one of these when the weather is a bit more hospitable. I doubt my steering components are going to wear out before spring. It's c-c-c-cold out there.

DrBob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sport
I have the Teraflex 2.5 inch lift on my JL, and have been fortunate ebough to never have death wobble. My caster is at 6°, and I ran for eight months with the stock SS without issue. When the Falcon Nexus 2.2 was finally delivered and subsequently installed, I noticed an immediate decrease in bump steer. Much more pleasurable on trails and potholes. The upgraded SS in my opinion is a "want" and not a "need." Happy I have it.
Sponsored