flyer92

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2-Door JL Sport, former '80 CJ-5 and '99 TJ
Vehicle Showcase
When I purchased my 2-door JL here in SoCal, the dealership made me sign the disclosure below, which I thought was weird. Apparently, this is a "California thing," but of course, the dealer couldn't explain anything about it. The user's manual doesn't restrict the use of chains, so just curious what this is all about and if others had to sign the same paperwork. I hate cold and snow, and I'm not planning to drive in it anytime soon, but still good to know more about this issue just in case. Appreciate your feedback as always.
Jeep Wrangler JL Why No Chains? Chains
Sponsored

Retrograde

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLSS, 1995 Chevy K2500
Occupation
Arms Dealer
I've not seen a chain prohibition on Wranglers before. But I have on tires. Perhaps it's not a California thing, but rather, a crappy tire thing? What kind rubber did your Sport come with?

QED

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
I've seen this before. It's specifically about actual chains made of metal links.
Jeep Wrangler JL Why No Chains? 1623351333058

"Snow chains" that are based on cables are fine.
Jeep Wrangler JL Why No Chains? 1623351354504

They're just worried about a link breaking and getting the chains wrapped around the axle or suspension components or flapping around thrashing the body-work.

OP
OP
flyer92

flyer92

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
It is definitely a (goofy) California thing, because the disclosure statement is a CA state form. The stock tires are decent and solid IMO...Goodyear Adventure AT with Kevlar, so I doubt there's any issue with them either.

Like QED stated previously, perhaps it is related to potential issues caused by chain usage. In fact, the JL's owner manual specifies the use of an "Autosock," which I had never even heard of before I started researching this. Regardless, why would the state care about chains? Perhaps increased wear and tear on roads? Makes me wonder if other states require the same disclosure.

JimLee

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU
It is definitely a (goofy) California thing, because the disclosure statement is a CA state form. The stock tires are decent and solid IMO...Goodyear Adventure AT with Kevlar, so I doubt there's any issue with them either.

Like QED stated previously, perhaps it is related to potential issues caused by chain usage. In fact, the JL's owner manual specifies the use of an "Autosock," which I had never even heard of before I started researching this. Regardless, why would the state care about chains? Perhaps increased wear and tear on roads? Makes me wonder if other states require the same disclosure.
It's to protect the roads, they want to wait at least another 40 years to repair the ones we already pay through the nose for them to repair.

Sponsored

OP
OP
flyer92

flyer92

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
It's to protect the roads, they want to wait at least another 40 years to repair the ones we already pay through the nose for them to repair.
Wait...what? You mean they actually repair roads here? 🤯

J0E

First Name
J0e
Threads
Reaction score
Website
bt39.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR, 05 LJR on 43s
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Drywall construction - reel estate
skinny tires and chains rule in deep snow. Litbrite aired down (making it worse) and got stuck, lol. It's one of those rules you ignore, like max 25 MPH in low range (even with 2.71 xfer case).

gato

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
The user's manual doesn't restrict the use of chains, so just curious what this is all about and if others had to sign the same paperwork. I hate cold and snow, and I'm not planning to drive in it anytime soon, but still good to know more about this issue just in case. Appreciate your feedback as always.
Many manufacturers have notices on the owner's manual not to use chains. Some say not to use on any wheel, some just the fronts.

The primary reason is that depending on what chain you use you can have clearance issues with the suspension components (e.g. shocks, springs, arms), *AND* more importantly, in most vehicles, including the wranglers, those chains will be riding very close to the brake lines and can quickly chew them up in a turn.

Lower profile traction devices pose less of a problem/risk.

Steve JLUR

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2021 GC Summit
I've not seen a chain prohibition on Wranglers before. But I have on tires. Perhaps it's not a California thing, but rather, a crappy tire thing? What kind rubber did your Sport come with?
I had to sign this declaration on my Wrangler last week, and for the Grand Cherokee today. it would seem to be a California thing, not a Jeep, or Wrangler thing.

Sponsored

OP
OP
flyer92

flyer92

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks all...this is clearly a Kalifornia thing, and I can see why chains aren't desirable. Just thought it was odd that the state made a big deal about them, even though there is no prohibition in the owner's manual. Per the manual, it looks like Autosock is the right tool for the job anyway, and they appear to be cheap, easy to install, and easy to store. Probably worth getting a set just in case.

Pepe My Little Mule

First Name
J.D.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
98 Jeep 4.7L; 2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Willys
California has certain mountain roads at elevation that their vehicle code require drivers to have chains on their tires inorder legally drive on during snow/ice. If you fail to do so you can receive a.traffic citation by CHP. ....Jeep Wranglers have some clearance issues or some other problems with the traditional bar and link style tire chains and they want you to utilize a different style cable or sock device to prevent damage on these roads/situations.

So I am thinking that the California dealerships don't want to deal with either the people damaging their vehicles with using old-school chains on those roads and/or other people refusing to use chains who get fined and want then dealer or Jeep to pay their tickets.

But, I live in Pennsylvania, so what do I know?!?! Other than not to live in California.

BRuby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR-A Benz-A Porsche-M Subie-M
When you are stuck and winters and studs do nothing, then you go to proper chains. Have been doing that for 30 years on different 4x4s. Granted for quick simple outs, ramps and a couple full length shovels can often do the job. Tons of vids on YT showing Wranglers with chains.

But in Cali apparently not so much. Key for noobs is tie off with wire. FCA wants noobs to not damage their precious JLs with improper installation and insufficient clearance. Makes some sense as most have little to zero experience utilizing chains. All our cars have full winters and use chains, but are the cable garden variety due to clearance issues. No one uses socks. WTF.

Sponsored