Why get a 4XE?

2018JLRUSellersremorse

First Name
Arthur
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4Xe Rubicon
that seems like the battery is used only in the EV mode ? šŸ˜² is that true.
So the 4XE does not act like a regular hybrid (think Prius, Rav4 etc.) after the initial charge runs out?
I used to own a Honda Insight hybrid and the battery gets trickle charged by just driving it and regenerative breaking etc.. then that battery power is used in accelerating through some motor. If the 4xe doesn't do that, then its not a hybrid at all in a true sense .. its just a giant battery pack that will run out after 25 miles.
It is a true hybrid even in EV mode the iCE will kick in when your foot gets heavy. After the initial charge runs out it does charge during operation and regen breaking.
Sponsored

mllcb42

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4xe HA, 392XR
is that true.
No, it's not.

When the battery is "empty", it retains 15% state of charge and will still behave as a mild hybrid, using both the gas engine and the electric motors for power. It just won't run on electric only.

The 4xe does not have a non-hybrid mode. It's always behaving as a hybrid. The different modes just adjust the balance between the gas engine and the electric motors and what kicks them on when.

In electric only, the gas engine still will come on during certain conditions and in e-save (gas only as most people think of it), you still get the electric motors providing power (and regen).

When electric mode isn't available, you still get the electric motors providing power to augment the gas motor.

When in FORM, you still get the electric motors providing power.

When the battery is "empty", you still get the electric motors providing power.

N8213

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR 4XE, 20 C8, 20 Indian, 55 Studebaker truck
that seems like the battery is used only in the EV mode ? šŸ˜² is that true.
So the 4XE does not act like a regular hybrid (think Prius, Rav4 etc.) after the initial charge runs out?
I used to own a Honda Insight hybrid and the battery gets trickle charged by just driving it and regenerative breaking etc.. then that battery power is used in accelerating through some motor. If the 4xe doesn't do that, then its not a hybrid at all in a true sense .. its just a giant battery pack that will run out after 25 miles.
No - not true at all. In hybrid mode the jeep will prioritize the battery usage first, so if you are just in hybrid the ICE will be shut down as much as possible to enhance fuel economy.

The jeep is set up to keep 15% of the charge for normal hybrid usage, which at that point the battery gauge in the jeep will show 0%, but there is still that phantom 15% that is used for hybrid operation.

GrayWolf.Overland

First Name
Subash
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2024 4xe Rubicon (Earl Gray)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
No - not true at all. In hybrid mode the jeep will prioritize the battery usage first, so if you are just in hybrid the ICE will be shut down as much as possible to enhance fuel economy.

The jeep is set up to keep 15% of the charge for normal hybrid usage, which at that point the battery gauge in the jeep will show 0%, but there is still that phantom 15% that is used for hybrid operation.
Good to know.. so in theory the hybrid mode mpg post battery running out should be higher than the mpg a regular 2.0 Turbo wrangler gets.. but based on the above user it hovers in the 20s which is what made me question the efficacy of the regular hybrid mode.

mllcb42

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4xe HA, 392XR
but based on the above user it hovers in the 20s which is what made me question the efficacy of the regular hybrid mode.
Or you can look at it as it gets about the same fuel economy while making an extra 100 hp and 200 ft lbs.

Sponsored

N8213

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR 4XE, 20 C8, 20 Indian, 55 Studebaker truck
Good to know.. so in theory the hybrid mode mpg post battery running out should be higher than the mpg a regular 2.0 Turbo wrangler gets.. but based on the above user it hovers in the 20s which is what made me question the efficacy of the regular hybrid mode.
You have to distinguish between hybrid with battery charged, and hybrid once battery is depleted.

Hybrid when charged gets much better fuel economy than the regular 2.0T. On the order of 25-28 mg vs my 2020 JLUR with the 2.0t that got 20-22 on the highway. But you are slowly running down the battery - in my experience you go roughly 50 miles before the battery is depleted and you drop to mild hybrid operation.

Fuel economy in Hybrid once the battery is depleted but still running in mild hybrid mode is worse than the 2.0T, but that's expected since you hauling around a couple hundred lbs of extra weight.

Long story short - the 4XE is awesome to drive, great power, and for around town and short trips also gets better fuel economy. For longer trips it gets worse fuel economy but you still have the extra power. Your situation just depends on your driving. For us, with daily miles under 50 miles the 4xe is great and I'll overlook the poor fuel economy on the 3-4 long trips each year. The extra 3-4 mpg on those isn't really that important, and the power makes me smile every time I stomp the gas pedal.

Echo4papa

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
Occupation
Success Engineer
25-28 mpg for the first 50 until the battery is shot, then 21 after that.
Or- 22 miles or so with no fuel and the next 178 or so at 21-22 mpg.
Higher speed does a number especially on flat ground - I averaged 17.5 on a longish trip but was doing 80 the whole way.
I averaged more than that driving from Florida to Maryland and I was keeping it at 70+ mph. The gearing in the Sahara vs the Rubicon has a decent impact on that mpg as well. I was at ~24 mpg for the whole drive.

BXFXJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Sahara
I'm driving for free a lot now.

COVID restrictions are over, so the mall near me is open at 10am, in the morning I take the kids to school, come back home, have breakfast, head to the mall with my laptop to do 2 hours of work, that 10km morning trip is all on a free 35% charge from the previous night at a free 5.5kw charger near me, that charger limits 1 hour free charging.

Then I'm fully charged for the day, the odd running around I do, I keep going back to the free 1 hour, maybe 4-5x a day(6 minute walk), depending on what I have to do, I'll use a paid 7.2kw charger(5 minute bike ride) at $2 an hour if I want a fast quick charge, that charger also $3 flat rate at night, I used to charge up most night using it.

But since the mall is now open unrestricted, I just go get my full charge most of the time.

Once it warms up I'll just leave it at the mall and ride back home about 10 minutes, I'll have to use my summer bicycle since it's up hill going back to the mall, the old bicycle I leave at the public charger won't make it up hill, gears are shot.

Before I was sorta on a mission not to use much gas, and pay for charging the Wrangler, my mission is now not to pay to charge the 4xe.

I can get a free charge or cheap charge, I cannot get free or cheap gas in Toronto, $1.60CAD a Liter is the Costco price depending.

GO_RV

First Name
JC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler Sahara JLU
I balked at the 49mpgE
deal breaker
my 2017 Ford Fusoon Energi has 97mpgE

tesla is at about 130 mpgE

Sponsored

Xspurt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Juliet Lima
The 4xe is what awakened the sleeping "wanna Jeep" monster that was dormant in me but the F.O.R.M and other serious issues kept me away. The short range of electric only is not an issue for me as most of my round trips would be inside of that 21 miles anyway. For me the tax credit covered nearly the entire difference in price but again, too much complexity in the hands of a company struggling with decades old technologies already!!

DewHawk

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLURD, '04 M3
Occupation
USAF F-16 Crew Chief
Itā€™s been about 4 months since Iā€™ve seen my 4xe but not for some of the reasons listed by others that were unfortunate to have issues. Iā€™m deployed in the Middle East currently and personally canā€™t wait to get home to take my 4xe for a spin.
I was sold on:
- the electric only range since my daily commute to the base can be done without a recharge or gas use.
- the power output easily topped my previous WK2 Hemi Trailhawk.
- the fuel economy combined given its a brick on wheels without sacrificing capability off road.
- the standard equipment it comes with over your base gas or diesel Wrangler.

The icing on the cake for me though was I was able to order one exactly the way I wanted it in Gecko green.

Thereā€™s a lot of people here and across the many boards/groups that has their own negative opinion on the 4xe platform. Iā€™d be very upset if something happened to mine and I think that alone speaks volumes about how much I love mine.

Thatā€™s just it though; it doesnā€™t matter what everyone else thinks about it. Drive what makes you happy and donā€™t let anyone try to convince you otherwise simply because they donā€™t share the same opinion. It doesnā€™t matter what I think or anyone else thinks. 4xe or otherwise, itā€™s your decision.

jameslavis

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JL Unlimited Sport S
this discussion is quite easy. if you can charge frequently and zip around the city this is a no brainer. especially with the cost at the pumps. iā€™m still sipping my first 1/10 of a tank this month. 0 in gas. itā€™s an acceleration beast. i donā€™t miss my old 2.0 stock at all.

TheEddie

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4XE
I balked at the 49mpgE
deal breaker
my 2017 Ford Fusoon Energi has 97mpgE

tesla is at about 130 mpgE
Those numbers are pretty meaningless. Of course a Jeep is less efficient. If you are after optimal efficiency buy an electric scooter.

XX4XEXX

First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
As mentioned tax credit and excellent HP and TQ. As long as you dedicate to plugging in you will avg 51+ mpge.
Sponsored