Who actually uses A/C?

Spearmin

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
I had TJ back in the day. I ordered it without AC, and with wind up windows. It was a 4 banger. I think they called it an SE, well below sport. I definitely missed the 6cyl, I absolutely missed the power windows, but never once did I ever say, "I should have gotten AC". I am a hot weather person. Let it be 98 degrees every day and I am happier than a pig in mud. Use to live in FL and the majority of the population goes from, air conditioned house, to air conditioned car, to air conditioned office, and then reverse at the end of the day. Why live there in the first place.

jadewolf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JK Sport (sold), 2021 JL Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
It's regularly 110F+ where I live in SoCal during the summer. I found a crayon melted on my sidewalk once, nothing but a puddle of oil, wax, dye, and a paper wrapper. Crayola's website says they melt between 120-147F.

Any nifty decal I tried to put on the inside of my black JK bubbled up and peeled off after a few hot days. My super snazzy looking DV8 metal shifting knobs get hot enough to burn your hand. If you try to eat a candy bar while on the road in summer, it would melt before you could finish it. Ohhhh yeah, I use A/C.

Once I've got the initial temperature cooled to something less than lethal, though, I prefer just driving with the windows down or the top panels off 80% of the time. I like the breeze. And the noise drowns out all the random rattling. But the second you grind to a halt in LA traffic on the freeway, with the reflected heat blistering up off the asphalt and the exhaust of 5 million cars pouring in... the windows come up and the A/C comes on.

That said, I grew up in Florida and my first few cars (older Mustangs) had no A/C. It was unpleasant, but I survived it. I was probably better acclimated then, though, as I didn't have A/C at home either.

Sponsored

CulpMinMn

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD, 2001 TJ, 2014 WK2
I don’t think I’ve used my AC in my TJ in atleast a decade. I check it from time to time just to make sure that it is in working order, but From April to October it remains doorless and topless the way a wrangler should remain.

if you are not willing to do this with a new JL opt for the AC

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
I don’t think I’ve used my AC in my TJ in atleast a decade. I check it from time to time just to make sure that it is in working order, but From April to October it remains doorless and topless the way a wrangler should remain.

if you are not willing to do this with a new JL opt for the AC
Doorless and topless are great when the weather is decent, but we road trip far to often to leave it that way all summer. 3 out of 5 days in Moab in august it was 100°+, the other 2 had thunderstorms. Add in 13+ hours on the freeway at 80mph+ and that would have been one of the worst weeks of my life instead of our best wheeling trip ever. We’ve wheeled in AZ when it was 118°, the AC is mandatory for most of our summer trips. May not need it for Oregon in May, but we won’t be doorless/topless for that trip either between the 12 hour drive, the mosquitoes, and the mud in the Pacific Northwest. Some Jeeps spend their whole lives as beach cruisers, of course they don’t need AC, but for our use it’s a necessity.

Sponsored

Outlawd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 punk'n Rubicon unlimited, 1968 Plymouth GTX, 1969 Coronet R/T 440 BDS 871 blower 900hp
If I'm hot I use it, if I'm not I don't.....don't matter if top is on or not. Unless you live at the north pole why not order it with a/c. It's a nice option to have and most certainly will be better for resale.

OP
OP
captainmac44

captainmac44

First Name
Morgan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys Sport
Yeah, I got AC in my Willys. Used it the first day :LOL: It was hot, the top was obviously still on, and it was really windy.

Windshieldfarmer

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU, 2020 JlU on order
I have a motorcycle if I want the full open air experience without AC. Even when off-roading with other Jeeps AC is awesome- especially when traveling in a dusty caravan....I can play and be comfortable at the same time; it’s a great concept!

Reinen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
I'm a Viking in the desert. AC is a life support device. Seriously.

I've always contended that Vikings didn't take over the world because they found it too damn hot, didn't want it and went back home.
Sponsored