Who actually uses A/C?

Elsinore73

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
My first 2 cars and my TJ had no A/C and crank windows. I could deal most of the time but wouldn’t want to do it again. Try having anywhere important to be on a hot day and not looking like a sweaty mess. The hot/rain combo is a killer as mentioned above. Get the A/C, stick with manual locks and windows. Assuming no harness to disconnect on the doors at that point?
Sponsored

Micky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sport S
Am someone who prefers windows down weather permitting (60 degrees and up). Only use AC in city traffic in summer, hot and rainy or lady in the car. 90% of time in spring summer and fall, no a/c. but when you need it, it is nice to have. windows and roof provide a lot of natural cooling which i prefer.

Windshieldfarmer

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU, 2020 JlU on order
I can’t imagine getting a Jeep without AC. Who wants to drive on the highway at 75mph for 10 hours in the Midwestern summer heat without AC? Who wants to go Jeeping with buddies on an extremely hot dusty road when your fifth in line and eating their dust? Who wants to drive in loud rush hour traffic at speed during times of high heat and humidity or strong winds? I have a motorcycle if I want to experience all of the elements w/o AC.

NCIC105

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
Use it a lot in the south....When it is 101, you will be damn glad you have it

sf5211

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New 2019 JL
Occupation
Plumber
Vehicle Showcase
I haven't read the entire thread, but did search it for "defog" with no results.

Question/Comment:

When defogging a windshield, say in the middle of winter, in addition to it being blasted by the vehicle's heating system with hot air (which holds more moisture) such that the fog is eliminated, is the A/C's dehumidification abilities not also used to aid in eliminating the fog?

If so--do A/C-less Wranglers address such windshield fog merely with hot air?
Hi Andy, to answer your question, a page or 2 back a poster said he test drove a Jeep the dealer was looking to unload that had no a/c. He, the dealer and his wife were in the Jeep. He said they the windows were completely fogged when they got back. I guess you could drive with a squeegee next to you. Lol.

Sponsored

smithrd65

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited JL. BMW Z4 35is, Tesla Model X90D, Chevy 2500 LTZ
I do believe this is the most Pathetic thing I've heard. If you need to remove AC to be able to afford the Jeep dont purchase the vehicle. You will be miserable without AC and let's not talk resale.

rikity

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon Unlimited
I can understand the argument over manual trans vs auto. But even if you never use it, you have to get the A/C option. It costs way more to add later and its better to have it stock. You never know when you have to relocate someplace, it might get hot where you go. I live in AZ, I have to have a heater and A/C, plus if I ever wanted to sell the thing nobody would buy it here

MARSHMELLA

First Name
Kirt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Occupation
Military
I use the AC almost all day, almost every day.

jdegrave

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kia Forte, Pathfinder, JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Director Financial Systems Support & Governance
I use my A/C all the time living in Florida. It gets pretty hot here in the middle of the summer!

Nomod

First Name
Brien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport S; '05 Pontiac GTO; '12 MBenz GLK; '99 Kawasaki 1500 Vulcan; all purchased new - I tend to keep vehicles a long time

Sponsored

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
Gulf coast from April to November
Mm. I was stationed in the Florida Panhandle. Pensacola in July was 103°F with 100% humidity. Ft. Walton might have been two degrees cooler. I couldn't wait until it was time to PCS out of there. The idea of being dependent on air conditioning to simply exist held no appeal for me.

Where the hell do you live that that’s even a sane question?
A few years ago, a friend and I did a motorcycle camping tour of some of the Canadian Maritimes. My notes from that trip include an entry confirming the daytime temperature on Cape Breton Island in late July being in the low 70s, and breezy.

Again, late July. Just about perfect.

"A/C" wasn't ever on the radar.

We actually wore our 3/4 ADV jackets as a hedge against the cooler temps whilst riding. What a motorcyclist perceives on the bike will be very similar to what a Jeep driver will feel with the top lowered, and especially if the doors are removed.

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
I do believe this is the most Pathetic thing I've heard. If you need to remove AC to be able to afford the Jeep dont purchase the vehicle. You will be miserable without AC and let's not talk resale.
I completely get where you are coming from David with the exception of the hard core enthusiasts who choose lack of A/C as a throw back to Wranglers of days gone by, more than a means to save $, and who are of the mindset that they will part with their machines when you can, "pry the steering wheel from their dead hands."

I often consider lack of A/C as an option, and a drop down windshield in the similar category of things FCA isn't ready to get rid of yet so as to not disenfranchise those who put the Wrangler on the map.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Envious of your bike. I had a 1972 Kawasaki Mach III when I was 17, and lived to tell about it. The CB750 is much more civilized.
I had a 1974 750 like this one. Crazy quick. Years later, I rode a friend's Honda Hurricane 1100 and found out what fast really was.

Jeep Wrangler JL Who actually uses A/C? c837714e55c79f472e9333e80bdf9845

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Wait, what? You can get A/C with these things?!

They don't market A/C where you're at, that close to the arctic circle. They have an optional double heater version.
Sponsored