Which winch for JL Wrangler

3uPh0riK

First Name
Christiaan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Ranger Wildtrak
Not directly related to the question asked on this thread, but I dont really want to start a need thread for this;

How hard is it to install a winch by yourself? Need any special tools or not really?

Its my first Jeep, so never done anything like this. Got the Rubi with the steel bumper.

Mattyp1214

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2018 JLUR
Not directly related to the question asked on this thread, but I dont really want to start a need thread for this;

How hard is it to install a winch by yourself? Need any special tools or not really?

Its my first Jeep, so never done anything like this. Got the Rubi with the steel bumper.
I installed my first one yesterday and don't have any crazy mechanical/electrical skills. It is pretty easy, don't pay someone to do it. Give yourself plenty of time, an hour or two. I needed help getting wiring up through engine bay to battery as well as actually mounting the winch itself. But overall fairly simple

Mattyp1214

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2018 JLUR
Also tons of videos online

Kenc

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 RAM TRX, 2020 C8 Corvette, and a Wrangler 392
Occupation
Boat Builder

Honestly, it is extremely easy. You are going to be surprised how easy it really is when your done. Short version.....You will remove the filler plates in the bumper for the fairlead and the close out on the top of the bumper, bolt in a winch plate, attach the new cover plate and fairlead, bolt the winch down to the plate, and run the negative lead and the positive lead that is already attached to the winch to the battery that already has a place for you to tie them into.

Sponsored

3uPh0riK

First Name
Christiaan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Ranger Wildtrak
Honestly, it is extremely easy. You are going to be surprised how easy it really is when your done. Short version.....You will remove the filler plates in the bumper for the fairlead and the close out on the top of the bumper, bolt in a winch plate, attach the new cover plate and fairlead, bolt the winch down to the plate, and run the negative lead and the positive lead that is already attached to the winch to the battery that already has a place for you to tie them into.
Great thanks! Cant wait

dajuicejml

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLRU
Warn Zeon 10s with JCR plate. Couldn't be happier.

pick4.jpg
Same Set-up as PaulNY and am also very pleased with combination
2018 JL2.jpg

JL2018

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubi. Granite Crystal
Occupation
Realtor
Just installed this Warn 10s in only an hour with a Rusty's plate.

8PEf94wGFDhvzZxO1od8zkDlg1miDONb2qqxtN4KSgzFZCT6JEFz5YurDT3pKS27W9OPusFK5rvVCmwnmc=w1688-h949-no.jpg
Hey Dave, Did you have any issues with the winch hitting the grill? I thought Rusty's plate mounted inside the JL bumper mounts and would push the zeon 10 into the grill or is this not a zeon 10s. Any other pics?

PaPasJP

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Hey Dave, Did you have any issues with the winch hitting the grill? I thought Rusty's plate mounted inside the JL bumper mounts and would push the zeon 10 into the grill or is this not a zeon 10s. Any other pics?
This is a VR 10s Warn. A lttle smaller than a Zeon.

No problems hitting the grille. Have about a 1/2 inch to spare.

Sponsored

BostonBilly

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU
I want a winch but I haven't even got my 2 door yet. Lol. I will wait and hope for a group buy or a good sale

JL2018

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubi. Granite Crystal
Occupation
Realtor
I want a winch but I haven't even got my 2 door yet. Lol. I will wait and hope for a group buy or a good sale
I purchased my Warn Zeon 10 in early march when 4 Wheel Parts had their big sale. It now sits in my garage waiting for the jeep to arrive. The only shining light is that there are more vendors coming out with their mounts for the JL.

My#8andlast

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR

I have no skills and have done two now. Now that there is no cutting brackets like on the 10A/X/Hard Rock, it is such an easy job. To pull the cables up to the battery I used a coat hangar, hooked up the two terminal cables and pulled them up through. Only special tool is a Torque wrench.

OP
OP

Easttnrhino

First Name
Tad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 power wagon
Occupation
Gas Serviceman
Has anybody tried the warn powerplant 9500 winch to see if it will fit down in factory steel bumper.

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLU, 98 Trans Am, 07 G5 2018 jl ordered
I went with the Smittybilt XRC9500 with synthetic rope for a couple reasons. First, and most importantly, it is only 46 pounds. I want to add as little weight as possible, especially with something I'll rarely use, but will carry around all the time. Secondly, it has one of the best warranties in the business. Third, I got a Black Friday deal. It was under 300 bucks shipped, with synthetic line. It is also waterproof.
Does it fit in the factory JL steel bumpers easily?
Sponsored