Sponsored

Which winch for JL Wrangler

Bearded_Dragon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito! Rubicon
Is anyone, for any reason, connecting theirs to the Aux switches to control power from the interior? If so, why, or why not?
I might depending if I want to keep disconnecting/reconnecting winch battery cables. I'll be running a Zeon Platinum and I don't want it always on, both for safety and to prevent someone from syncing their remote to it and fucking with it. You cannot directly run a winch from the aux buttons, but you can use a power interrupt relay to control winch power.

spblat

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Website
irace.net
Vehicle(s)
Golf R
Is anyone, for any reason, connecting theirs to the Aux switches to control power from the interior? If so, why, or why not?
I thought this was the whole point of the aux switches. There are (I believe) wires under the hood as well in the passenger compartment. And you can program each switch to be momentary or latching.

(Edit: Clearly the aux wire should power the relay instead of hooking to the winch directly.)

aug0211

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 4xe
At the risk of showing my noobness in this area, what are everyone’s thoughts on winches that are not the big name brands?

I’d like a synthetic rope and something with a wireless remote - but also hope to never use the winch, so would like to keep the expense reasonable on this one.

Thoughts on brands like Viper, BOAR, Tungsten4x4, Freedom Off-road, Driver, X-Bull, DV8, etc?

wanderer

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlu rubicon. Surfboard. Bare feet, moose drawn air sled, Interstellar time warp space transport fighter
Occupation
Engineering Geologist
just remember that whenyou need it there is nothing that will subsitute for it. So thnink carefully. I know nothing of those. I think warn is over priced. If I could use any I would get a superwinch exp 10k with synthetic line about 1000 but it won't fit in the jeep bumper. so smitty built x20 10K synthetic line.

Sponsored

wanderer

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlu rubicon. Surfboard. Bare feet, moose drawn air sled, Interstellar time warp space transport fighter
Occupation
Engineering Geologist
I am looking athe 9.5 RSI Come up winch It fits I see it on the extreme terrain website.

OP
OP

Easttnrhino

First Name
Tad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 power wagon
Occupation
Gas Serviceman
I enede up buying a warn vr 10000. I have had good luck with warns, not so much with Ramsey's but that was all we had to pick from 20 years ago. I know the warn vr are built overseas but so are the rest except for the real warns as I call them. The warn had a better warranty than the smittybuilt also, went with the rope to help hold the weight down. I am sure the smittybuilt or some of the others are good but I just felt better about a warn. Used a Rusty's off road plate went together good. I have put a 3/4 spacer from rough country up front to get jeep level, but our jeep was a little nose down to start with.

NYC_Bobby

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon, 2018 JL MOAB, 2016 Renegade Trailhawk
I might depending if I want to keep disconnecting/reconnecting winch battery cables. I'll be running a Zeon Platinum and I don't want it always on, both for safety and to prevent someone from syncing their remote to it and fucking with it. You cannot directly run a winch from the aux buttons, but you can use a power interrupt relay to control winch power.
Out of curiosity, who is going to carry a spare wireless remote for a $1500 winch just to mess with you? Do things like this happen on a regular basis?

EsTxDr

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Anyone have experience with Mile Marker hydraulic winches?

Luco

First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Unlimited Rubicon, 2016 GMC 2500 HD, 2010 Seneca Motorhome on Chevrolet C5500
Did you have that one on your JK? If so, how’s it holding up against the elements? I’m worried about having a rust ball attached to the front of my keep, especially living in sticky SC
I had the SmittyBilt on my JK for a couple of years. Used it two or three times. Works great and is holding up fine.

Sponsored

thecritter

First Name
Rusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Crystal Granite JlU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
I have a VR10 out for delivery today! what is the red rope guard I have seen it on a few of the Warns is it aftermarket or come with the winch?

3uPh0riK

First Name
Christiaan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Ranger Wildtrak
Yo guys

I saw some of you mention youre going with the Smittybilt x20. Which plate did you use? I think im also going to go with the Smittybilt, just want to make sure that the plate im getting worked for somebody else

BobK

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon Unlimited
Occupation
Semi-Retired
Vehicle Showcase

raqball

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JKUR
Vehicle Showcase
At the risk of showing my noobness in this area, what are everyone’s thoughts on winches that are not the big name brands?

I’d like a synthetic rope and something with a wireless remote - but also hope to never use the winch, so would like to keep the expense reasonable on this one.

Thoughts on brands like Viper, BOAR, Tungsten4x4, Freedom Off-road, Driver, X-Bull, DV8, etc?
Warns are a bit pricey BUT they have killer warranties.. Limited lifetime and 7-year electrical. I don;t know of any other company that matches that...

I purchased the VR8-S (S = Synthetic) it was something like $649 but I had a 10% off code that I used as well which put me under $600 for it.

Warn also sells a wireless remote (I think it sells for $130'ish) but I passed as like you, I won't use the winch often and if I do need it, the wired remote will be just fine..

20180613_144608.jpg
Sponsored