donmontalvo

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Website
donmontalvo.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (Snazzberry)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Systems Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
A dedicated GPS device could be faster and more accurate. As far as I can tell that's not what's being debated.

Most of us aren't trying to guide a missile into a window. Do you have post-2009 evidence that a dedicated GPS device works in the scenarios that most of us experience where a modern phone fails to do so?

Faster and more accurate is somewhat irrelevant if not quite as fast and not quite as accurate is sufficient to accomplish the task. Agreed?
Here, I fixed your sentence.

A dedicated GPS device could be will always be faster and more accurate when you're out of cell tower range.

Google is your friend. ;)
Sponsored

dragoneggs

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Snazzberry Pearl JLR
Build Thread
Link
Clubs

donmontalvo

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Website
donmontalvo.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Systems Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I will probably buy one of these during a late night alcohol induced buying moment…

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07M9CZYT...ZYX9AVZ7D&ref_=list_c_wl_lv_ov_lig_dp_it&th=1
You'll never regret it. You'll just need to ignore some of the technically challenged who don't want to learn. ;)

Whether you go with the Garmin, or Dual, or Bad Elf, you can't go wrong.

I have mine in my center console, always plugged in, and paired with all my iOS devices, and ready to put into my shirt pocket (*) if I decide to go hiking.

Have a look at the apps these devices come with. The Bad Elf app is awesome, haven't seen the apps for the other ones.

(*) One of the reasons I chose Bad Elf is for it's size and shape.

Ratbert

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AEV JL370 JLURD , AMG GLC43
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

Here, I fixed your sentence.

A dedicated GPS device could be will always be faster and more accurate when you're out of cell tower range.

Google is your friend. ;)
It's like buying a $10,000 watch merely because it's more precise and accurate when a Timex would be more than sufficient.

It sounds like you're a big fan of toys. That's a perfectly fine reason, but if it's not necessary for the majority of us then it's not necessary for the majority of us.

Repeating the primary question that you neglected to address:

Faster and more accurate is somewhat irrelevant if not quite as fast and not quite as accurate is sufficient to accomplish the task. Agreed?

Sponsored

txj2go

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTS-V, 2018 JLU Sport Firecracker Red

yokramer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 JLR, '13 Juke Nismo, '88 10th Anny RX7
It's like buying a $10,000 watch merely because it's more precise and accurate when a Timex would be more than sufficient.

It sounds like you're a big fan of toys. That's a perfectly fine reason, but if it's not necessary for the majority of us then it's not necessary for the majority of us.

Repeating the primary question that you neglected to address:

Cause they dont have an answer that fits to their narrow view on the subject.

dragoneggs

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Snazzberry Pearl JLR
Build Thread
Link
Clubs

You'll never regret it. You'll just need to ignore some of the technically challenged who don't want to learn. ;)

Whether you go with the Garmin, or Dual, or Bad Elf, you can't go wrong.

I have mine in my center console, always plugged in, and paired with all my iOS devices, and ready to put into my shirt pocket (*) if I decide to go hiking.

Have a look at the apps these devices come with. The Bad Elf app is awesome, haven't seen the apps for the other ones.

(*) One of the reasons I chose Bad Elf is for it's size and shape.
My big question is whether there is any compatibility/conflict with also using a wireless carplay device that I currently have plugged in to my console USB?

donmontalvo

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Website
donmontalvo.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Systems Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
My big question is whether there is any compatibility/conflict with also using a wireless carplay device that I currently have plugged in to my console USB?
There would only be a conflict if you try to pair two Bluetooth GPS devices to your phone. CarPlay Maps would use the paired GPS device. Any location services aware app would.

donmontalvo

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Website
donmontalvo.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Systems Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I don't understand the need for external GPS receiver. I have an iphone 6 with GAIA on it and the mapping works very well when we are out of cell signal range. I don't use an ipad for maps but I do carry a Garmin Inreach Mini so I could use that as the GPS receiver.
I have a Garmin InReach Explorer+ that I use on my trips, for the SOS and satellite TXT functionality in case I find myself in a bad spot.

I use a Bad Elf GPS device to pair to my iPhone and iPad, it can allow up to six decides to connect, so any map apps I use are more accurate and reliable.

PS, the luddite/troll noise was becoming annoying so I added a couple people to my “ignore” list.

Last edited:

Sponsored

txj2go

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTS-V, 2018 JLU Sport Firecracker Red
I have a Garmin InReach Explorer+...

I use a Bad Elf GPS device to pair to my iPhone and iPad...
Could the Garmin take the place of the other device?
I realize that the Garmin may only bluetooth to one other device at a time.

I have relied on my old iphone for mapping when I have no cell signal. Since this is a fairly mission critical item for me on our last trip I carried an ipad that I could connect to my Garmin if I needed it (I don't know why an ipad doesn't have its own GPS receiver). Plus I download movies to the ipad and we watch them in the tent at night.

donmontalvo

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Website
donmontalvo.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Systems Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Could the Garmin take the place of the other device?
I realize that the Garmin may only bluetooth to one other device at a time.
The Garmin Glo allows up to 4 devices to connect to it. Scroll to the "# of Simultaneous Devices" row in the link below. I keep my Bad Elf GPS in the center console, paired to all my Apple devices, to have true GPS, and I bring it with me if I go for a hike.

https://www.mypilotstore.com/mypilotstore/Aviation-GPS/Bluetooth-GPS.asp

I have relied on my old iphone for mapping when I have no cell signal. Since this is a fairly mission critical item for me on our last trip I carried an ipad that I could connect to my Garmin if I needed it (I don't know why an ipad doesn't have its own GPS receiver). Plus I download movies to the ipad and we watch them in the tent at night.
Apple puts a GPS receiver in their cell capable devices. The dependency on cell capability make it an A-GPS. I wish Apple would stop misleading people about that. A true GPS (not A-GPS) device would allow or provide an app that lets you identify which satellites you're locked on to, how strong each one is, the accuracy, etc.

Ratbert

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AEV JL370 JLURD , AMG GLC43
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

PS, the luddite/troll noise was becoming annoying so I added a couple people to my “ignore” list.
Using ad hominem attacks while refusing to answer obvious questions that show how ludicrous your stance is? "Interesting" approach.

Pinion

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1971 FJ40, 22 Rubicon Unlimited
Occupation
Project Manager
Get a map.

donmontalvo

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Website
donmontalvo.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Systems Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Get a map.
I was pretty good with a map and compass in the US Army (79-85). Since then I've always kept one in my bug-out bag. It's probably the only thing that'll work if EMP day comes.
Sponsored