neil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JLUR, 21 JLUR and others
Build Thread
Link
Where at? I assume it's over now.

I used Valvoline for my first two oil changes. Shell Rotella for my last change and the next one thanks to the super sale. I use a Mobil1 high mileage filter I found on Ebay 4 for $20. Otherwise the Mopar Filter is good and widely available.
it's over.
Sponsored

Kyanche

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Royal Purple, why?, because it's oil and purple
That's exactly why I did it. It cost like $10 more than mobil1 but I was curious what purple oil looked like. Sadly I've never seen purple oil when I pull the dipstick. I can confirm that it goes in purple though!

I think the right way to go is mobil1 or that pennzoil platinum or the 'gas truck' oil or whatever 0w20 synthetic you can get for cheap. It's all the same at the end of the day anyway.

VNT

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SRT Challenger, 2015 Hemi Overland, 02 WJ 4.7, 2000 Durango, PT Cruisers, 2018 Punkn Sahara 2020 OB Rubicon
It calls for 0w-20 and you’re using 10w-30?
Prefer lower noack (4.1% Amsoil vs 12.2% PUP) , higher viscosity 30W (PUP 20W is 8.8 cst@100 vs 10.0 Cst Amsoil) and higher moly and boron (Amsoil 250 ppm moly and 350 ppm boron vs 73 ppm moly and 215 ppm Boron for PuP) synthetic base oil, plus dont drive them in the winter. 20W is all for cafe. TBN is 8.6 for PUP and 12.5 Amsoil.

Sponsored

HeavyUser

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
I think the right way to go is mobil1 or that pennzoil platinum or the 'gas truck' oil or whatever 0w20 synthetic you can get for cheap. It's all the same at the end of the day anyway.
BUT ...... it isn't ...... purple.

calemasters

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited, & Escalade
Occupation
Retired Mechanical Engineer
In my 3.0L turbo-diesel, I use Pennzoil Platinum Euro Full Synthetic 5w-40 motor oil. This oil meets / exceeds the requirements of FCA Material Standard MS-12991, and is API SN certified.

So far I have 2,048 miles and no lubrication related failures. Unlike the engine below.

Jeep Wrangler JL Which Oil Are You Using, And Why?? 1610202078794

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

i tend to run mobile 1 full synth in all my vehicles except one. Jeep gets M1 with a WiX filter every 5K miles as i dont drive it except on jeeping trips. should be heading out to do 2K mile trip in june. my 76 gmc gets blue prints 10-30W with zinc.. mostly because it has a cammed blue print engine and the oil is blue

Sponsored

Deleted member 53226

Well, I usually don't respond to oil threads but I will share my two cents:

I use that Amsoil stuff after reading over one million posts by Amsoil fans over the years. If Amsoil synthetic is not available, I'll buy the other big name brands. If I can find an oil that is colored purple or some other cool color, I'll buy that because it must be the best stuff.

I never buy the oil on sale because that means it's stale or near its expiration date. Just think about it. Why else would it be on sale? Would you drink milk after its expiration date? Of course not. I am too smart to fall for that scam. Buy from the store or online vendor with the highest prices. That's the good stuff. If I can pay at least $15 or $20 per quart, then I know it's going be a good oil.

With the Amsoil, like others state on forum threads, all my engine problems went away immediately and I gained around 25HP. Like magic. No ticking or other noises. Sometimes I am not even sure the engine is running its so quiet. I usually have to stick my hand down near the drive belts to feel if they are running. My windshield wipers also improved dramatically. Headlights are brighter too.

I change the oil and filter every 75 miles or 5 days just to be sure I am always getting maximum protection. Why run your beloved vehicle on used up garbage oil? Makes no sense at all. If I can't get it done on the scheduled day, my wife and/or 9 year old child know to change the oil/filter for me, so they can avoid my rage at the thought of running an engine even one day with old useless oil in it.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
Well, I usually don't respond to oil threads but I will share my two cents:

I use that Amsoil stuff after reading over one million posts by Amsoil fans over the years. If Amsoil synthetic is not available, I'll buy the other big name brands. If I can find an oil that is colored purple or some other cool color, I'll buy that because it must be the best stuff.

I never buy the oil on sale because that means it's stale or near its expiration date. Just think about it. Why else would it be on sale? Would you drink milk after its expiration date? Of course not. I am too smart to fall for that scam. Buy from the store or online vendor with the highest prices. That's the good stuff. If I can pay at least $15 or $20 per quart, then I know it's going be a good oil.

With the Amsoil, like others state on forum threads, all my engine problems went away immediately and I gained around 25HP. Like magic. No ticking or other noises. Sometimes I am not even sure the engine is running its so quiet. I usually have to stick my hand down near the drive belts to feel if they are running. My windshield wipers also improved dramatically. Headlights are brighter too.

I change the oil and filter every 75 miles or 5 days just to be sure I am always getting maximum protection. Why run your beloved vehicle on used up garbage oil? Makes no sense at all. If I can't get it done on the scheduled day, my wife and/or 9 year old child know to change the oil/filter for me, so they can avoid my rage at the thought of running an engine even one day with old useless oil in it.

Well, there you have it. Total nonsensical. Thanks for you 1¢ worth of advice.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
I have run just about all of the major brands and have never had an issue. But I only run full synthetic. My preferred oil is Mobil 1, now in EP form. I don't think you can go wrong with any of them, really. I run 7500 to 8,000 miles on each oil change.

The 3.6 really isn't picky and is pretty easy on oil. I've seen MANY used oil analyses out of Pentastars and they are all very good. I can't remember seeing even one with something concerning.

The main thing is to maintain it at least according to Jeep's recommendations and then don't worry and enjoy it.

BlackGenesis

First Name
Andrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Sahara unlimited
Quaker state synthetic.
Because it dramatically outshines Mobil 1 in independent testing as well as my own oil analysis. And I used to get it for $3 a quart.
Mobil one does not perform well at elevated temps, significantly loses ware protection and degrades.

Note - Amsoil is the best oil for ware protection in 0w20 formulation according to ware protection testing.
Sponsored

Last edited: