Sponsored

What oil will you be using in your Pentastar V6?

What oil will you be using in your Pentastar V6?

• Total voters

BrntWS6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS, 2002 WS6

This guy sent a bunch of oils out to be tested. Mobil 1 performed very poorly. I have been using Mobil 1 for quite some time now, probably 20 year. After seeing this i am switching over to Amsoil.
Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase

This guy sent a bunch of oils out to be tested. Mobil 1 performed very poorly. I have been using Mobil 1 for quite some time now, probably 20 year. After seeing this i am switching over to Amsoil.
That guy's videos are fun, but the bearing test was debunked when Slick 50 snake oil used to tout it.

The Sequence IV-A test is the industry standard, and it can't be performed in a barn. The only test he does that really tells you anything is the cold flow. Notice he didn't use Mobil 1 AP or even EP. Only Amsoil is in the same league, and actually, IIRC, it slightly outperforms the best M1 in that test. However, it should be noted that Amsoil is a blender, not a manufacturer. They have their proprietary blends but guess who makes their base oil, which is PAO, not group III or GTL, like most of the others? You guessed it. Exxon Mobil. Amsoil goes to the best for their base oil. PAO's will out flow any other base oil in the cold. Regular Mobil 1 has little, if any PAO base stocks. EP and AP are mostly PAO base stocks, as is Amsoil. They'll handle much higher heat, too. That's why I run them.

Honestly, any Dexos 1 Gen 2 rated oil will be outstanding in your engines. While Pennzoil Platinum or Ultra don't have the extreme performance of PAO's, their GTL base stocks are close. I'd rate them as good as any other oil for these engines.

The only oils I would not recommend are the few out there that are not Dexos 1 Gen 2 rated. I'd avoid those at all cost. Just my humble opinions here.

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
For now, I am using Castrol Edge; I like the titanium in the add pack and I have a hefty stash of it. UOAs look good so far, but it is still breaking in.

No IFS

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon
5 quart jug Pennzoil platinum 0w-20 from Wally World $20. Oem filter

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase

Sponsored

WranglerAdvs

First Name
Oliver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JK Sahara, 2020 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
5w20 Mobil One EP + OEM oil filter.

ChimpanZed

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Unlimited Rubicon

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Mobil 1 0W40 European Formula, FRAM Ultra Synthetic filter.
I could understand trying a thicker oil if your engine was using oil, or if you were track racing it, but I'm not sure why when there are Pentastars running around with well over 200k on the clock running 20 weight. Plus, the PUG's revised valve train was designed with 0w20 in mind from the start. The PUG has never been spec'd for a heavier oil. Yes, I know the Pentastar was originally spec'd with 5w30, but again, the PUG is significantly redesigned, and for the record, it is not spec'd with oil heavier than a 20 weight anywhere else in the world, from what I've researched. Even in Australia, it goes with 20 weight.

I'd guess you won't hurt anything with it, but I wouldn't bet my valve train on it. But that's just me. Most 0w40's are VERY high quality oils with some PAO in the base stock to make that big a viscosity leap.

For full disclosure, I tried Euro 0w40 in my JK's 3.8 for awhile, as it uses a significant amount of oil. It seemed to reduce it for a bit, but then went back to almost a quart per 1k miles, as it does with any other weight. Of course, that engine was originally designed with 5w30 and 10w30 in mind and Mobil 1's 0w40 is on the thin side of a 40 weight. The JK has run about 80% of its life on 5w20 and runs great. It just has a drinking problem.

Powerwagon1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL, 1982 Jeep CJ5, 2017 Powerwagon
Because It's what I prefer to run, I believe the lighter weight oils are just for fuel savings not for longevity of the engine. I also run this in my 6.4 hemi. Run what you think is best its your engine .

Sponsored

ChimpanZed

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Unlimited Rubicon
Because It's what I prefer to run, I believe the lighter weight oils are just for fuel savings not for longevity of the engine. I also run this in my 6.4 hemi. Run what you think is best its your engine .
As a NASA-trained mechanical engineer and tribologist I am confident stating that you should be running 0W20.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Yep, not telling you what to do. Color me skeptical on the claim of less wear.

Powerwagon1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL, 1982 Jeep CJ5, 2017 Powerwagon
As a NASA-trained mechanical engineer and tribologist I am confident stating that you should be running 0W20.
ChimpanZed, I am also confident in in running this oil in a 3.6 and have researched this extensively, So,, Please save your I'm smarter than you response while telling members what they should be doing . I could really care less what oil you think I should use.

ChimpanZed

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Unlimited Rubicon
ChimpanZed, I am also confident in in running this oil in a 3.6 and have researched this extensively, So,, Please save your I'm smarter than you response while telling members what they should be doing . I could really care less what oil you think I should use.
LOL, good luck.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
What if your engine clunks out and they determine thicker oil was being used, I'd imagine getting warranty coverage would be a problem.
Sponsored