Sponsored

"Oil Life" guage, what mileage are you getting your change oil warning?

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Owners manual is vague about oil change intervals and is basing it on the way the Jeep is driven and utilizing that "Oil Life" gauge. Not that I'm against this kind of technical advancement, but being old school I'd just rather change it every 6k miles like I've done on other V6 motors running full synthetic. I don't have a problem changing it sooner if that's what this motor requires however.

Would be interested in knowing what mileage range is "typical" for a primarily street driven daily driver between oil changes. And if you do stick to a rigid (but reasonable) oil change interval will this cause any warranty issues if you change it past the warning marker?
Sponsored

AlamedaJeep

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport S
I did my first oil change at 5k and plan to continue at that interval. The gauge said I had 28% oil life left at that point.

The way it’s going now I should have about that amount left at 10k. Seems like a reasonable interval to me.

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
I’ve driven almost 100% highway miles for just over 2000 miles. I’m at 78% oil life left. So it’s on track to say I’m due for first oil change at about 10K miles if it holds the same throughout the OCI.

LincolnSixAlpha

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
@ 7800 miles, around 12%, though I dropped the first batch @ 2K, didn't reset the gauge. Rest is on the dealer.

plex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Weekend keyboard mechanic and beer drinker
Vehicle Showcase
OIl gauge is actually pretty accurate, it is based on engine rev and other factors, much better than a fixed period or mileage.