Sponsored

Which JL engine are you most interested in?

• Total voters

JAY

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Admin
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Now that we know the horsepower output and MPG figures for the 3.6L Pentastar V6 with which the JL Wrangler will be launched, has your engine preference changed?
Although specs for each engine are not yet available, we're curious which engines JLWF members are most interested in early on, so please vote in the related poll up top.
Sponsored

JJ75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JKU
Still love a naturally aspirated engine over anything else so I'd like to see them give the Pentastar a nice power bump. It's served me well.

JTman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JT to come
Based on that schedule it'd be a long wait, but I'm hoping the diesel finally makes it into the JL generation.

Even though it's not listed on the Jeep product map, think there's any chance we'll see an all electric Wrangler at some point during the JL's life cycle - maybe late in model life?

Flite

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JKR, Porsche 911 Turbo, F-350, Mazda Miata RF
Pentastar for me. It's proven reliable, smooth, and makes decent power.

If we weren't so burdened by diesel regulations, I might choose that. But as the owner of a new F350 Powerstroke, I have no desire for another vehicle that requires def or any of the other expensive and inconvenient nuances of a modern oil burner. I don't really know what the purpose of a diesel in a Jeep is either.

Sponsored

AVENTUS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 750li sport
1. Electric for environmental, torque, and reliability reasons.

Runner up:
2. Diesel, for reliability, durability, and fuel efficiency.

Last edited:

Raylan Givens

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500
I don't want to wait until 2020 for a diesel, so the Hurricane could be a possibility for me

SWinch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Wrangler JK
Diesel 4-cyl, for fuel efficiency. Although I'm sure the torque will be great off road. I'd be very disappointed, and will not buy a JLU, if a small fuel efficient diesel isn't available at launch.
I think it's clear the diesel will not be available at launch and all signs point to a Ecodiesel V6. To me it is worth the wait, I'll be perfectly content in my JK until then. I also think FE will be improved across the board but the turbo 4 and diesel options will lead in that category.

Link Pin

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Sahara, 2020 Gladiator
I'm with SuperWinch, they already have the 3.0 liter Ecodiesel V6 engine already available in the RAM. It's proven and reliable. I think that engine would be a better choice.

N.Stark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 TJ
Based on that schedule it'd be a long wait, but I'm hoping the diesel finally makes it into the JL generation.

Even though it's not listed on the Jeep product map, think there's any chance we'll see an all electric Wrangler at some point during the JL's life cycle - maybe late in model life?
Not much of a chance of that unless battery capacity tech jumps by a lot during the JL life cycle.

Range anxiety is real and if it exists for cars that are only driven on regular roads where you can access a charger fairly easily, imagine the range anxiety from taking a car way off road nowhere close to a charging station! Whether the average Wrangler driver does that or not doesn't matter because Jeep has to engineer the Wrangler to deal with that scenario of being far far away from electricity.

Sponsored

Cal_JLU

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Future JLU
IMO, the best alternative power propulsion system for any BOF truck or SUV would be hydrogen. Range anxiety is still a bit of an issue, but at least you don't have to worry about batteries, which are a nightmare for packaging and the type of use these vehicles endure.

Cal_JLU

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Future JLU
Not much of a chance of that unless battery capacity tech jumps by a lot during the JL life cycle.

Range anxiety is real and if it exists for cars that are only driven on regular roads where you can access a charger fairly easily, imagine the range anxiety from taking a car way off road nowhere close to a charging station! Whether the average Wrangler driver does that or not doesn't matter because Jeep has to engineer the Wrangler to deal with that scenario of being far far away from electricity.
IMO, the best alternative power propulsion system for any BOF truck or SUV would be hydrogen. Range anxiety is still a bit of an issue, but at least you don't have to worry about batteries, which are a nightmare for packaging and the type of use these vehicles endure.

Andrea75

First Name
Andrea
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon jlu
Occupation
Carrozziere
it would be interesting to try 2.l although 300 hp seem too much, you say?

Rockmaninoff

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Website
sophistijeep.blogspot.com
Vehicle(s)
MY2014 JKU Overland (RHD) A/T, Mercedes E-class MY2017
There should be another option for "none of the above". It doesn't have to be the Hellcat 6.2 but the standard 6.4 would do for me because there's room for power-adders on the latter if need be.

A factory supercharged/turbo Pentastar at around 400+hp (along with the weight reductions of the JL) isn't a bad idea either. The stock Pentastar takes aftermarket boost really well. Some of the fastest cars out there use 6-cylinder engines after all.

drogers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-250
A full hybrid could be the best off-road option ever if done right - 4 individually controlled hub motors, and just enough battery to handle grocery runs and peak draw.

Think about it - you could have enough torque at each wheel to climb vertically, available at 0 rpm. And forget lockers - each corner can use every ounce of traction available to it at all times.

Yeah - wheeling might even get boring in a jeep that good at not getting stuck.
Sponsored