landshark99

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
It is common knowledge in the Mopar/FCA community that the Pentastar was designed with forced induction in mind. It has a 6 bolt main block, which is overbuilt. It takes very little research to see other features of the original design that were made with boosting and DI in mind.

Anyone can say what they want, but the data clearly shows that this is a reliable, durable, and VERY proven engine.
Check out the latest Lite Brite video and see how their 3.6 has done with forced induction
Sponsored

Colorado Rubicon

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Firecracker Red JL Unlimited Rubicon, 2014 Dune Clear Coat JK Unlimited Sahara, 2012 Ram 3500 Longhorn Dually, 2017 Jeep Renegade Trailhawk (Daughters), 2015 Polaris RZR 4 1000, 2014 Polaris Ranger XP 900 Crew
3.6 all day long. Even my service advisor at the dealership said he would not own the 2.0 The 3.6 is established.

brazos

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport, Giant singlespeed mountain bike, Hobie Revolution kayak
Occupation
Dog Feeder
3.6 all day long. Even my service advisor at the dealership said he would not own the 2.0 The 3.6 is established.
Certainly the 3.6 is the safe bet.
But the 2.0 is just too much fun.
That turbo is a kick in the shorts.
If it shows to be less than reliable, I’ll just trade within 36/36.
I’ll likely do that anyway.

Colorado Rubicon

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Firecracker Red JL Unlimited Rubicon, 2014 Dune Clear Coat JK Unlimited Sahara, 2012 Ram 3500 Longhorn Dually, 2017 Jeep Renegade Trailhawk (Daughters), 2015 Polaris RZR 4 1000, 2014 Polaris Ranger XP 900 Crew
Certainly the 3.6 is the safe bet.
But the 2.0 is just too much fun.
That turbo is a kick in the shorts.
If it shows to be less than reliable, I’ll just trade within 36/36.
I’ll likely do that anyway.

I’ve never drove one. I’d say enjoy what you have. I shouldn't be biased since i personally have no experience with the 2.0. We all have beyond awesome Jeeps with different options that fill our needs. Hopefully the 2.0 will be super reliable and give everyone options. As options are always good!

jeepdabest

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sahara
I'm not really sure what you are getting at, but here, just in case you think something I said was incorrect or misleading.

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/fca-pentastar-production-hits-10-million-300795239.html

It is common knowledge in the Mopar/FCA community that the Pentastar was designed with forced induction in mind. It has a 6 bolt main block, which is overbuilt. It takes very little research to see other features of the original design that were made with boosting and DI in mind.

An interesting note is that for 6 years running the Pentastar is the best selling engine in Canada. Maybe that says something about their reliability in extreme temperatures, too.

Anyone can say what they want, but the data clearly shows that this is a reliable, durable, and VERY proven engine.
Was being VERY sarcastic! Excellent info!!

Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Check out the latest Lite Brite video and see how their 3.6 has done with forced induction
That was not an OEM setup and was not as thoroughly engineered as a system as it would have been if FCA had offered it from the factory. The fact remains that it was indeed designed for an OEM forced induction system, including a twin turbo version that was considered for the 2016 model year. The engine, as it sits, is overbuilt because Chrysler wanted the flexibility to offer it. Again, that goes for DI and even cylinder deactivation, as well. As it sits, the Pentastar is not anywhere near to pushing its limits. That makes for a durable engine. This was all a factor in my decision to go with the proven engine. I won't be turbo or supercharging mine, either. In fact, I won't be modifying one single thing on it other than using as high quality oil, oil filter, and air filter as I can find. I do, however, run mine very hard.

For the record...in spite of Lite Brite's woes (I am betting Kevin was running a higher compression ratio than a factory setup would have run), there are MANY 3.6's with aftermarket forced induction setups running reliably for many, many miles. Check out other Jeep forums, Mopar forums, and Challenger/Charger forums. Lots of them are out there and withstanding a flogging.

landshark99

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
That was not an OEM setup and was not as thoroughly engineered as a system as it would have been if FCA had offered it from the factory. The fact remains that it was indeed designed for an OEM forced induction system, including a twin turbo version that was considered for the 2016 model year. The engine, as it sits, is overbuilt because Chrysler wanted the flexibility to offer it. Again, that goes for DI and even cylinder deactivation, as well. As it sits, the Pentastar is not anywhere near to pushing its limits. That makes for a durable engine. This was all a factor in my decision to go with the proven engine. I won't be turbo or supercharging mine, either. In fact, I won't be modifying one single thing on it other than using as high quality oil, oil filter, and air filter as I can find. I do, however, run mine very hard.

For the record...in spite of Lite Brite's woes (I am betting Kevin was running a higher compression ratio than a factory setup would have run), there are MANY 3.6's with aftermarket forced induction setups running reliably for many, many miles. Check out other Jeep forums, Mopar forums, and Challenger/Charger forums. Lots of them are out there and withstanding a flogging.
Maybe so, but I have been around a lot of cars with supposedly over built motors that had been modded with after market turbos or supercharged that did not go well in the long run. On the other hand I have seen much better luck with mods like bigger turbos on motors that came with turbos to begin with.

Also according to Kevin in his video the compression ratio from the factory is higher in the penstar with the JL than it was in the JK

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Maybe so, but I have been around a lot of cars with supposedly over built motors that had been modded with after market turbos or supercharged that did not go well in the long run. On the other hand I have seen much better luck with mods like bigger turbos on motors that came with turbos to begin with.

Also according to Kevin in his video the compression ratio from the factory is higher in the penstar with the JL than it was in the JK
That's part of my point. Aftermarket blowers are not likely to be as reliable as OEM. Remember, too, that the JL 3.6 is an updated Pentastar with many changes, so its no surprise they upped the compression ratio. I'd still bet Kevin's was even higher with the turbo.

It is still a fact that the Pentastar was designed with forced induction in mind as a future feature, therefore it was strenghthened for it. That means it is not pushed as close to the limit with it's current normally aspirated setup. That has NOTHING to do with aftermarket forced induction, which is an entirely different animal, due to not being a baked-in and thoroughly tested OEM setup.

My point is that the Pentastar, as it comes from the factory, bone stock, is a proven, reliable, durable engine that isn't stressed to its design limit. That was the answer to the OP's question. (If the question was between an aftermarket blower on a 3.6 or a factory 2.0 turbo, I'd recommend the turbo, as the OEM has design and testing advantages that the aftermarket simply can't match..)

Sponsored

landshark99

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
That's part of my point. Aftermarket blowers are not likely to be as reliable as OEM. Remember, too, that the JL 3.6 is an updated Pentastar with many changes, so its no surprise they upped the compression ratio. I'd still bet Kevin's was even higher with the turbo.

It is still a fact that the Pentastar was designed with forced induction in mind as a future feature, therefore it was strenghthened for it. That means it is not pushed as close to the limit with it's current normally aspirated setup. That has NOTHING to do with aftermarket forced induction, which is an entirely different animal, due to not being a baked-in and thoroughly tested OEM setup.

My point is that the Pentastar, as it comes from the factory, bone stock, is a proven, reliable, durable engine that isn't stressed to its design limit. That was the answer to the OP's question. (If the question was between an aftermarket blower on a 3.6 or a factory 2.0 turbo, I'd recommend the turbo, as the OEM has design and testing advantages that the aftermarket simply can't match..)
Your points are all valid but i decided to go with the 2.0 for manly 2 reasons or maybe 3, 1; I love the way it drives, it just felt quicker with the added torque. 2; I would have bought the 3.6 if it had been stronger in both torque and hp . 3; I know that if I wanted to in the future it will be much cheaper and easier to get more out of the 2.0, not that I planing on it at the moment.
Very happy with turbo 2.0.

If the diesel had been available, I probably would have chosen it instead.

Rubicon Kimosabe

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLU Rubicon 3.6 Liter 6-Speed Manual
Stick with the 3.6 Litre for now. Simpler, less expensive and more reliable all around compared to the 2.0 Litre Turbo. Premium Fuel, Turbo, automatic and 3 cooling systems only complicate things, ultimately causing more expense, aggravation and downtime. Also, have heard mixed reviews on 2.0 Litre motor, as well as only being able to pair it with automatic and lower gear ratios. Manuals in a Jeep are the way to go, if you know how to drive. Unfortunately, nowadays, many people can't drive period, even if they have an automatic. Stick with the 3.6 and the 6-Speed Manual. Its a "Real Jeep" that you want, assuming you know how to drive it. Good Luck with your decision!

javelina

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MOAB "Saharacon", 2006 Wrangler TJ, 2018 F-150 RCSB 4x4
For 95% of the offroading that most folks do, the Auto is the way to go. Less stress on the drive train, and the driver. :)

I do like driving a stick, but I'm getting too old now, and just enjoy rolling...