Sponsored

When do you consider a Jeep to be "built"?

GGolds

First Name
Gerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler 2019 JLU Sahara. 3.6, V6. Mojito with a black hard top. Tan leather. 2019 Jeep Cherokee Limited.
Occupation
Paramedic
I think it refers to the old “ built not bought “ phrase. When I was younger and broke, you’d buy a strip down bare bones Jeep and build it. Axles, lockers, bumpers winch, lift etc.....

Then you could put on your “ Built not Bought” windshield banner, and be proud to show off what you’d done.

Now that I’m an old man I don’t want to go through that much work to start from scratch, so I bought a rubicon. I might not be cool anymore, but I’m enjoying the fruits of my working my ass off for 40 years and counting.......:)
ABSOLUTELY!!!. When I bought my brand new 87 Suzuki Samurai I considered that luxury compared to my 75 VW Bus before it. Then came 4 Runners and Pathfinders, even a few Land Rovers ( pieces of crap), Corvettes, a few Wranglers mixed in. Fast ahead 30 plus years and I've come full circle to my 19 Wrangler Sahara Unlimited in Mojito. I ordered every option other then the color matched top. I have to say, this is my all time favorite vehicle out of everything. I only ordered one other vehicle in my life and that was a 97 Jeep Wrangler - the first year TJ. I can keep rambling on and on but my Wranglers were my most exciting Vehicle moments in my life. You know you love what you own and consider it "built" when you frame the window sticker.
Sponsored

Jim M

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 wrangler sport 2 door
When you are satisfied! Building a jeep is like spelling (Bananananana) you have to know when to quit! Jokes aside.I would say when your money runs out or your spouse runs off.

Kluk Ztopolovky

First Name
Kluk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Sport 2dr Sting Gray manual
That's funny that you ask this question . The answers are even funnier. Mine was built the moment I took off from the dealer's lot and for others the building process really never ends until they get a wife or have no more money for the next rent .

RubiSc0tt

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR in Punk'n Orange
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Turn Wrenches/ Write code
in my own experience, Capability dictates "built", but also context- If I tell my buddies I'm going on a run with "Built rigs", they know what to expect- Larger tires, lockers, armor, winches, etc.

That said, I've seen plenty of people with questionable judgement espousing the verbal feces that is "built not bought" and 9/10 times they're driving a JKU with a Light bar, $2k worth of rims on $500 tires, an angry grille. When you question them, they start talking about how they love to "go off roading" but it's all Mud puddles or dirt roads (lol) and as the conversation goes further, they get really defensive until they throw out the standard issue "I DON'T DO ROCK CRAWLING OR HARDCORE OFF ROADING! NOT EVERYONE WANTS TO RUIN THEIR JEEP!".
If you're not a fan of "ruining" your Jeep, Then explain to me your.. "build", to which their response is "I WANTED TO CUSTOMIZE IT AND MAKE IT MINE". Got it- you're into useless, stick on crap and shiny doodads. I think we're done here. Have fun with that.

I try not to "punch down", but if you're running around chest beating about "built not bought"... maybe spend a little money to at least look the part?

Sponsored

Opus

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jlwranglerforums.com
Vehicle(s)
2023 Sport S, 2021 Compass
Build Thread
Link
How long is a piece of string???

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
For me, I am just about there. After the rear Fox DSCs go on, I will be replacing my K02's with something else (even though they have more than 60% tread remaining) and after that....

bleep, bleep, bleep, Th-Th-The, Th-Th-The, Th-Th... That's all, folks!

My build is as complete as I need or want it; it's all maintenance after this point...

Last edited:

liquids

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S, 1968 CJ5
When the status code from the factory says that.

flyer92

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2-Door JL Sport, former '80 CJ-5 and '99 TJ
Vehicle Showcase
I often hear people refer to rigs as "built". What do you think qualifies for that designation? To me it seems like the rig in question needs to be 100% ready for Black/Red trails, so skids, tires, lift, bumpers, winch, lockers. What's everyone else's definition?
When it's sufficiently equipped to meet the owner's use case.
For some, it may be a bone stock Sport with zero mods....for others, it might be so modded it out, it's no longer recognizable as a Jeep!

Sponsored

Shibadog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sport S hardtop
Occupation
Safety &Fire Protection Engineer (Retired)
Your Jeep is “built” when you get it the way YOU want it. For some, that’s as delivered, for others full suspension changeout, lift, monster tires, ya da, ya da, yada. If YOU are happy with it and it does what YOU want it to do it IS done. If your goal is to “impress” folks, you’ve got the wrong vehicle, as there will always be a more “built” Jeep than yours. There are huge numbers of monster Jeeps around here that never leave pavement-stupid imho but hey it’s their nickel. I’m sure there are some of the great unwashed masses that crap impresses, but not anyone who has actually used a Jeep for decades…