Sponsored

When did you do your first oil change.....?

HealthRebel

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLRU Ocean Blue
I use pennzoil 0W20,Mobil one isn’t a approved oil so don’t want to screw up warranty.
Mobil 1 is not approved??? That is not correct.

In the Mobil 1 lineup, they offer the 0w-20 SAE in their Mobil Super Synthetic. When you read their specs and approvals, it meets or exceeds the Chrysler MS-6395 recommendations that are in our manual.

Also, in our 2020 Jeep Wrangler manual, it recommends oil such as from Mopar, Pennzoil and Shell Helix. Keep in mind, FCA has a financial interest in all of these recommendations. This is by no-means the total list of approved oil.

Myself??? I will be using Amsoil 5w-30 Full Synthetic. Research shows me this to be the best oil and this viscosity is what was originally used in the design of this engine. The revised 0w-20 SAE recommendations has more to do with FCA meeting the stringent government CAFE regulations with regards to fuel efficiency (which saves them money) and less to do with the wear and tear on this engine AFTER the warranty period. Dig deep and you will find the connections. Look at some articles from "Bob is the Oil Guy" as well. Just like in the pharmaceutical industry, follow the money. It will lead you to the truth!
Sponsored

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
Mobil 1 is not approved??? That is not correct.

In the Mobil 1 lineup, they offer the 0w-20 SAE in their Mobil Super Synthetic. When you read their specs and approvals, it meets or exceeds the Chrysler MS-6395 recommendations that are in our manual.
Mobil Super Synthetic is not what I would consider a mainstream oil. This oil is typically only sold in auto parts stores at a premium (and typically only in quarts) versus Mobil 1 AFE, EP, AP, etc (none of which carry the Chrysler specification) sold in other venues. In the grand scheme of the Mobil lineup, MSS is minuscule and it is questionable at this point in time why Mobil even carries it any longer.

Do I think that Mobil or any of the other premium synthetic oils (which do not have the specification) cannot adequately protect the engine? Not a chance.

Last edited:

Ronnie S

First Name
Ronnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Firecracker Red (2 Door) - 3.6L V6 24V VVT Engine Upg w/ESS - 6-Speed Manual Transmission
Just changed the oil in my new 2019 Rubicon last night! Had 7,467 miles on it. Used 5 quarts of amsoil sae 0W-20 along with the high mileage amsoil oil filter. Engine sounds so much better now and is idling really smooth. Noticed it immediately! I plan on sending my oil into black stone labs to get it tested. I’ll post my results as soon as I have them back from black stone. I waited until the oil percentage said 0%. I don’t believe in wasting good oil and I’ve always used up every last drop in every vehicle. Black stone has never given me a bad test result either so I’m not worried. I’ll keep you posted....
As promised here is my Blackstone Oil Report! I had the TBN done too for an extra $10. TBN determines how much active additive is left. Low is 1 or lower. Mine was at 3.3 so still plenty of oil life left. Now all the break in metals were pretty high so I'm glad I changed it when I did. I got a good report though! :)

Attachments

Quetzal

First Name
ERIC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Rubicon JLU
Occupation
Teacher
Doesn't the new Jeep let you know according drive habits when you need to change the oil and filter?

Ronnie S

First Name
Ronnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Firecracker Red (2 Door) - 3.6L V6 24V VVT Engine Upg w/ESS - 6-Speed Manual Transmission
Doesn't the new Jeep let you know according drive habits when you need to change the oil and filter?
Yep told me to change it when I hit 0%. So I did. No sooner no later. :)

Sponsored

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Today with 800 miles on the clock. As with every new vehicle I have ever owned, there was a lot of metal in the oil that was luminescent and could easily be seen when swirled in the sunlight. Installed a Gold Plug, FRAM Ultra filter (though I am not sure that I will use it long term--does not seem to be built like the other Ultras that I have seen and made in Korea to boot), and Castrol Edge.

jessedacri

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bright White 2dr JL Rubicon 3.6
Today with 800 miles on the clock. As with every new vehicle I have ever owned, there was a lot of metal in the oil that was luminescent and could easily be seen when swirled in the sunlight. Installed a Gold Plug, FRAM Ultra filter (though I am not sure that I will use it long term--does not seem to be built like the other Ultras that I have seen and made in Korea to boot), and Castrol Edge.

I just crossed 1000 today and will probably do it tonight. Just curious, when will you do your next change?

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I just crossed 1000 today and will probably do it tonight. Just curious, when will you do your next change?
I will do it again at the 2K mile mark and then settle into a 5K OCI. Plenty of arguments both ways (early change versus no early change), but with the amount of metal that I see in the oil on a new engine that is not being trapped by the oil filter, I want it out. Oil is cheap, engines are not.

Mud Yapster

First Name
Mud Yapster
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
Changed mine at 700 miles used Pennzoil Platinum 0-20 as it calls for coupled with a Mopar filter. Easier oil change than my challenger or my Ram 3500. Really easy and next time I'm going to have my dog do the oil change since he wants to ride everywhere we go. LOL

Hotrodnut

First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito JLU
I've rebuilt my fair share of engines over the course of my 38+ year automotive career and I've seen the damage that not changing your oil can do on a regular basis...that's why I performed my first oil change on my JLU at only 500 miles on the odometer. I like to get rid of all the metal that may be floating around during the first early stages of engine break-in. ..
Well you sir, you think like I do. I started rebuilding engines at 13 yo, now I'm 68. I worked for speed shops in the days and there, we fired it off and did the Cam break-in and changed the oil. Cut the filter open and full of metal.

Granted, Oil and Filters were not what they are today but have you ever seen metal heated when it is freshly cast, formed, machined, etc., even with todays standards metal bits are popping off the metal, especially cast metals!

I remember when Datsun first started selling the Z cars in America, they wanted you to bring them back at 100 miles so they could change the Oil, Filter, Transmission and Differential oils, all for free! Americans believed their ways meant they were not getting quality products so they stopped.

I usually drive my vehicle off the lot and go home and change the oil, yeah, anal, but I always think back to the days at the speed shops and feel certain what I am doing is prolonging my vehicles' life.

My current JLU I bought out of town, drove a couple days while there on vacation and came home and changed its oil. Right or wrong, I feel good about it.

Also at 50% on the gauge is when I change it again! Good insurance to me...…..

Sponsored

Hotrodnut

First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito JLU
My question for those who do their own maintenance, how do you log it from trade-in/resale time?
I keep a small log book in the Glove Box. I record everything, Gas fill-ups, Oil/Filter changes, Tire rotations, added accessories, etc.

I have a large Folder in my Office where I keep all my receipts from Gas, Accessories, modifications, Manuals, Instructions and anything pertinent to the Vehicle.

I also keep Spread Sheets on my Computer with all the info with dates, descriptions, costs, and miles.

I was a Flight Engineer on the CH-47 Chinook Helicopter in Vietnam and developed most of my records keeping from that.

In the past I have been asked from Dealers for proof of certain maintenance being completed on a Vehicle and I whip those records on them and no more questions asked.

When selling or trading in my Vehicles', all those records go with it.

It's probably overboard but hey, I'm a Car nut, so it makes me happy!

jayvis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Changed mine at 2700 miles and found no trace of metal. Didn't cut the filter apart to check, but it obviously did its job. I don't put a lot of miles on mine, so I'll change the oil and filter once a year with Mobil 1 Extended Performance just like I do with all of my vehicles.

StrikeZ

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
Took mine to the dealer at 7K. Since I have maintenance to 70K, I’ll keep taking it to the dealer.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
I keep a small log book in the Glove Box. I record everything, Gas fill-ups, Oil/Filter changes, Tire rotations, added accessories, etc.

I have a large Folder in my Office where I keep all my receipts from Gas, Accessories, modifications, Manuals, Instructions and anything pertinent to the Vehicle.

I also keep Spread Sheets on my Computer with all the info with dates, descriptions, costs, and miles.

I was a Flight Engineer on the CH-47 Chinook Helicopter in Vietnam and developed most of my records keeping from that.

In the past I have been asked from Dealers for proof of certain maintenance being completed on a Vehicle and I whip those records on them and no more questions asked.

When selling or trading in my Vehicles', all those records go with it.

It's probably overboard but hey, I'm a Car nut, so it makes me happy!
Well, if I were buying a used vehicle from you, I'd pay more knowing you had those records. The peace of mind and knowing what I was getting would be worth it.

Hotrodnut

First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito JLU
Well, if I were buying a used vehicle from you, I'd pay more knowing you had those records. The peace of mind and knowing what I was getting would be worth it.
That is nice to know that it would make a difference to you DanW, Thanks!
Sponsored