Sponsored

When did you do your first oil change.....?

Badweissenbier

First Name
Bad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Billet JLUR
Just hit 1000 miles on a business trip today and plan to change the filter only when I get home. Following the lead of some others on this forum. Theory is the filter catches any fine metal particles from break-in. Replace it only for a little insurance, as the oil is fine. Then change the oil and rotate tires at 5000 mile increments.
I would have to disagree with your thoughts on this. The filter is doing it’s job by catching particulates, it will then hold them until replacement so no real need to early change it as it’s not going to plug up before your oil needs done. However the filter only catches ‘the big stuff’ , all the fine particles will build up in your oil and this is what wears an engine when it is not changed. Most people don’t realize a major reason to change your oil is to get rid of the particles to small for the filter to catch. The silly catch phrase about oil breakdown has misinformed a lot of people about why you really need to change your oils.
If anything I would say it’s more important to change your oil out to remove the contamination from break in that the filter doesn’t catch.
Sponsored

Firstwave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara 2018 Mazda CX9
Dealer changed mine this week at 5400 miles. I told them 5 quarts but they argued that it took 6 and that after changing it showed oil level at the full mark on the dip stick. I checked it when I got home, after it had set for a while and the oil level was at the full mark. Should I be worried?

nerubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 VW Tiguan
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Not another oil change thread where people argue over following mfg recommended change mileage/weight, that dealers mechanics are idiots, that engine technology hasn't changed in 100 years so need to follow the old schedule, that little bity tiny particles destroy an engine, and on and on.
I don't worry about it. When it's time to change oil I just buy a new vehicle.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
I have 1800 miles on my new Rubicon JLR which an oil change appointment for this Friday... I have seen some Jeepers get an oil change like me as old school at 2k or 3k miles and the dealer said 7k...

So tell me what you did....

Miles?
Type of oil/filters?
Did you do the dealer freebee?
Why or Remarks?

If the forum owner (Bill?) could you make this a vote with comments. I see some folks talking about this and with more and more JL owners are getting to this point will need to know.
I did my first change at 2k miles. I put Mobil 1 Extended Protection 0w20 into it with a Fram Ultraguard filter. I did not do the freebie. I like to change my own oil.

Sponsored

Solidaxle

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL 2 Door Rubicon
What does Jeep recommend for our first oil change mileage ? The manual seems a little wishy-washy I think it said wait for the light to come on.

eugene

First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR Ocean Blue
What’s stopping the dealer from resetting the oil life gauge? Why is that even an option

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
I have 1800 miles on my new Rubicon JLR which an oil change appointment for this Friday... I have seen some Jeepers get an oil change like me as old school at 2k or 3k miles and the dealer said 7k...

So tell me what you did....

Miles?
Type of oil/filters?
Did you do the dealer freebee?
Why or Remarks?

If the forum owner (Bill?) could you make this a vote with comments. I see some folks talking about this and with more and more JL owners are getting to this point will need to know.
I changed the FILTER at 2,500 miles because it's $9 bucks and 15 seconds of my time, and the oil is still fine at 2,500 miles but what you want to do is get the break-in metals out.

Then I got the oil changed at 5,000 miles and then 10,000 miles.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Changed oil/filter at 1200 miles, then I'll go by that "oil life" gauge or 6k mile intervals whichever comes first. Even though I've heard that gauge can go as far as 10k miles but I don't feel comfortable waiting that long.

cbrenthus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Mojito JLUR
On a brand new vehicle I always do a full oil change with Mobil 1 at 1K miles. I use whatever weight is recommended in the manual. With older vehicles I would then change "on the 5s" - 5K, 10K, 15K and so on... With newer vehicles that have an oil life monitor I just go by that, since M1 probably lasts longer than the monitor anyway, and usually end up changing around 7500 miles.

Used vehicles I change the oil immediately and then on the next "5" and so on ;)

Sponsored

Patinito

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 MOAB "Saharacon"
Occupation
SysAdmin
Vehicle Showcase
IMG_1023.jpeg

3k Miles
dealer wave program freebee

speaking of which. I posted this a few weeks back. remember the JL take 5 quarts!

-----
I am currently at Dadeland Chrysler in Miami Florida I got into an argument with the mechanic because i told him the new Jeeps with the 3.6 v6 only take 5 quarts of oil and the older ones take 6. He told me that’s not true and i even showed him the manual and still argued with me. They put 6 even after that and i had to get the manager to pull up the specs and they saw that i was right. They THEN drained a quart out. @JeepCares they said that their tech manuals still show 6 quarts for the 3.6 v6. Apparently I was the first person to bring it up at this particular dealership and now they said they’re going to change the procedure. How many JL’s have run through that maintenance bay with 6 quarts of oil. Anyone getting an oil change use the image below to show them it is only 5 quarts.
4F780D2D-5DE5-4B21-B57B-330B38BA8678.jpg

Last edited:

CJ-ING-RJ

First Name
RJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR, 73 CJ5, 07 Electra Glide
I’m the second owner of my JLUR (bought it with 2100 miles) so I can’t say what happened before me.
I just changed mine at 5300 with Castro’s Edge 0w-30 as recomended K&N filter. I Will do my next change around 10k then every 7500.

My really reason for commenting is; has anyone seen a change in their JL after the oil change. I hoping to god I see better gas mileage. With a best ever of 18.2 (tail wind at 62mph) average at 15.3.... no where close to sticker

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
I’m the second owner of my JLUR (bought it with 2100 miles) so I can’t say what happened before me.
I just changed mine at 5300 with Castro’s Edge 0w-30 as recomended K&N filter. I Will do my next change around 10k then every 7500.

My really reason for commenting is; has anyone seen a change in their JL after the oil change. I hoping to god I see better gas mileage. With a best ever of 18.2 (tail wind at 62mph) average at 15.3.... no where close to sticker
Probably because you're having fun in your JL, that costs serious mpg :)

CJ-ING-RJ

First Name
RJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR, 73 CJ5, 07 Electra Glide
Probably because you're having fun in your JL, that costs serious mpg :)
I wish this was the reason. So far just a little playing in the snow. I've got a company vehicle so my Rubu isn't supposed to be a daily driver, but the wife loves the excuse the POS won't make it up the driveway so I'm taking the Jeep

RandyB-JL19

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JL - Sport S
I change my filter at 1500 miles, then change oil at 3000 miles, then every 5000 miles, been doing it this way for over 40 years on all my vehicles. Don’t know if it’s right way, or recommended way, but I haven’t had any problems at all with any shavings, or oil use between changes. :)
I think the idea of more regular filter changes with the ease of the V6 and longer intervals for the full synthetic oil makes perfect sense. Thanks.
Sponsored