Sponsored

When did you do your first oil change.....?

VNT

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SRT Challenger, 2015 Hemi Overland, 02 WJ 4.7, 2000 Durango, PT Cruisers, 2018 Punkn Sahara 2020 OB Rubicon
I got a tad over 2000 miles. Changed FF at 8 miles put in Amsoil 30W break in oil. Changed that at 150 with new mopar filter with Valvoline 5w-30 Dino. ran that to 750, changed that with another batch of 5w-30 Dino. Getting oil changed Friday morning at Dealer, will let them put the 0w-20 in and change Filter. Changed the diffs and T-case at a 1000.

Need to research the PS fluid and devise method to either change or suction and refresh.
Sponsored

Caleb75

First Name
Caleb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Altitude
I got a tad over 2000 miles. Changed FF at 8 miles put in Amsoil 30W break in oil. Changed that at 150 with new mopar filter with Valvoline 5w-30 Dino. ran that to 750, changed that with another batch of 5w-30 Dino. Getting oil changed Friday morning at Dealer, will let them put the 0w-20 in and change Filter. Changed the diffs and T-case at a 1000.

Need to research the PS fluid and devise method to either change or suction and refresh.
Wow!
Getting all those break in wear metals out! I would love to see an oil analysis after your dealership oil change to see how the wear numbers compare to similar mileage without the additional oil changes you performed. What kind of oil did you use in your diffs and t-case? I am going to switch mine over to Amsoil. I got about 6k on my 2020 JL Unlimited Altitude. Right now I have Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 0w 20 with a Fram Ultra filter. The next oil change will be Amsoil 0w20 and Amsoil filter. I let the dealership change it for free but I don't use their oil because it is some bulk oil (brand unknown).

VNT

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SRT Challenger, 2015 Hemi Overland, 02 WJ 4.7, 2000 Durango, PT Cruisers, 2018 Punkn Sahara 2020 OB Rubicon
Brought some Amsoil 10w-30 ss and Fram SYN Filter and had that put in, freind who is a tech did the oil/filter change, gave me the mopar filter and the 5 qts 0w-20 pen plat. He also did the software updates and showed me how they do that.

I have some Super Tech Synthetic 75w-140 in the rear diff right now, had it on the shelf, scored it for 3$ a qt and will use it for break in. Front diff has Amsoil 75w-110, t-case Amsoil universal SS ATF.

Will dump them all late fall when I put it away, probably use Redline 75w-140 in the rear, Amsoil 75w-110 in front. T-case not sure, have some Redline C+ ATF, or the Amsoil ATF or considering Amsoil MTF which I run in my NV 242S in my WJ and Durango T-cases which has better additives vs ATF

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
Today, 3000 miles. Pennzoil Platinum 0w20 and a Wix filter. Took longer to get the tools out, then clean up afterward than it did to drain and change the filter. I'll do 7k mile changes now.

RedundanT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Did 1st today, 1490 miles. Close enough to my normal 1500 mile new vehicle routine. Mopar filter and RP 5W-30. Didn't like the noises at start up. Drain plug was clean but did notice crap
20200920_120444_HDR.jpg
in filter.

Sponsored

Wranglernator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1991 Wrangler (sold); 2021 Sting Gray Rubi Unlimited
Occupation
Evil Overlord
So how does this Jeep Wave freebie oil change thing work?

Just got a new Rubi.

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper

Just got a new Rubi.
It doesnt work. You go into the mopar website, sign up for jeep wave, schedule the service, and you get your 6qts of oil free of charge.

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L

Just got a new Rubi.
Despite the post above, it does “work’.

jeep Wave gives some free oil changes. Unfortunately some idiot dealerships have trouble putting 5 quarts into the 3.6L and instead add 6. Why? because they are absolute idiots who should be banned from the human race..... and some of these idiots are still doing it even after 4 model years. FCA chooses to ignore this issue with its craptastic dealer network. And, the only ”wave” that FCA should get for this is with our middle fingers.

that said, I am also sure that many dealers (including mine) put 5 quarts in as they should. My dealer knew to put in 5, put in 5, and I was out in 30 minutes, free of charge including a free 5-tire rotation. If you don’t have the 3.6L, the ‘extra quart issue” is not a concern.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I changed it when the oil life monitor indicated it was time. I've done this with all my new vehicles in the past 20 years. They have all gone the distance and then some.

97redjeep

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, slightly modded 97 TJ, 2018 Power Wagon, 99 2500 24V
4000km, I usually do a 5000k but I couldn’t wait lol, anyone else done a early change and think their oil looked pretty spent? Not like my 24v dark, but like my tjs 4.0 after 5000k of pushing 40s working the shit outa it dark, I was pretty surprised.

Sponsored

emptyminded42

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hellayella JLU Sport S 6MT, Forester XT
Occupation
Engineer
It doesnt work. You go into the mopar website, sign up for jeep wave, schedule the service, and you get your 6qts of oil free of charge.
No joke. I just got my first change done 2 weeks ago (about 11 months/5,500 miles) and today I realized they put 6 quarts in - way above the full line and an inch up the braided cabling. Ugh. They also didn't do the 5 tire rotation like I asked when I dropped off - only 4.

Going to DIY from now on. I didn't believe the posts on the forum but sure enough, I joined the 6 quart club and drove ~250 miles on it. Ugh.

Kyanche

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
I did my first oil change recently on the 3.6, at the 1 year mark and 3400 miles. It was really easy lol. I'm kinda left wondering why I bought the valvomax oil plug (although I look forward to not dropping the oil plug in my drain pan again! lol)

I didn't realize the filter needed a 24mm socket though. Oops.

The used oil looked a lot better than I expected. No signs of metal or anything.

Stupid question: Any recommendation on cleaning oil off the engine? I spilled a little bit. Noob mistake!

jeepoch

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Wrangler Sport S 3.6L Auto 2 door, 2.5" lift, 35s
My first was at 4K performed myself, I'm now at 16K with a total of either 4 or 6 changes (depending if you're into the phenomena of counting using 'new' math at the dealerhips).

I've personally performed 4 oil changes. However, I was stupid enough to have let the dealership perform two. Specifically, two different dealers one each. After they 'both' installed 6 quarts, even after I explicitly stated 5 on the second visit, I'm absolutely done with their ineptitude. Both times, I drove home, drained and refilled with the proper 5 quarts on both occasions, essentially getting two free engine oil flushes.

The second dealer even lied to my face that they put in 5 quarts. Before driving away, I had shown the Express Lane write-up rep and her manager the oil was past the full mark and a good 1/4 inch up on the dipstick cable. After showing them the page in the owner's manual that JL's require only 5 quarts they offered to drain the overfill. I politely but adamantly declined at ever letting them touch my Jeep again.

So if you too want the chance to perform an oil flush, use the Jeep wave thingy. When they overfill it go perform it correctly. My gosh, it's almost 2021, almost three full years since the JL's have been on the market. If it was only the blind incompetence of a single dealer that would be one thing, but two different dealerships, wow!

In addition to the Jeep Wave misery, both offered the free tire rotations. But only 4 wheels. It was an extra 'up' charge for rotating the fifth (spare) at both dealers. Both times I declined and taken it to the local Sam's Club tire shop. They rotate all five including a computerized rebalance on each wheel (all five) for free. No upcharge whatsoever.

FCA Dealership lube shops are trying they're very best to be the very last place on the planet to take your JL. I'm not going to take a chance on a third dealer. They'll have to pay me handsomely to ever go back. Even then, I'm confident it will just be yet another flush while performing even more dealership 'new' math.

Jay

DavidArmen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
5000km
Pennzoil Platinum Synthetic/Mopar filter
Did it myself, not dealer, nothing free
I do all my own service/repairs on all my vehicles because I am awesome :like:
Dealer is only for warranty work or recalls :jk:
I also want to do it myself though I am curious about maintenance records for warranty reasons. How does this work? Can an oil change performed by the owner still be entered into the vehicle’s official maintenance records? Thanks

jeepoch

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Wrangler Sport S 3.6L Auto 2 door, 2.5" lift, 35s
I also want to do it myself though I am curious about maintenance records for warranty reasons. How does this work? Can an oil change performed by the owner still be entered into the vehicle’s official maintenance records? Thanks
David,

Yes in a way. There is a Mopar smartphone app that registers your Jeep (by VIN) and shows you it's corporate maintenance record. It supports both official (dealership) entries as well as letting you input your own. My oil change entries show the date, oil and filter type, the amount and any notes. It seems official enough. Of course I keep all my receipts as proof. However, if nothing else it's a great way to maintain a log of your vehicle's service and maintenance actions.

Just search your Apple or Google store apps for 'Jeep'. You'll have to prove that you are indeed the owner, via DMV, original title or dealership sales records. Once that's been established, they give you access to that VIN's corporate maintenance records. Of course it's very filtered and just from a very high summary level. But it is a way for you to manually insert your own (self-provided) maintenance activity.

Hope this helps.
Jay
Sponsored