OP
OP
Yellow Cake Kid

Yellow Cake Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
We drove out tonight to watch the moon rise and stopped a few times to look at the clearance between the tire and the splash guard. Even when the tire was forced upwards into the wheel well and turned fully to the side there seemed to be lots of extra space between the two items.

For the most part we have been driving 5mph to 10mph with the windows open and the radio off. I don't recall hearing any sounds that would indicate something got pulled into the space and got crunched up. I am having a hard time imagining how the contact occurred but am glad to think it will not be a regular occurrence.

Thanks for the helpful info.
Sponsored

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
We drove out tonight to watch the moon rise and stopped a few times to look at the clearance between the tire and the splash guard. Even when the tire was forced upwards into the wheel well and turned fully to the side there seemed to be lots of extra space between the two items.

For the most part we have been driving 5mph to 10mph with the windows open and the radio off. I don't recall hearing any sounds that would indicate something got pulled into the space and got crunched up. I am having a hard time imagining how the contact occurred but am glad to think it will not be a regular occurrence.

Thanks for the helpful info.
YOU SUCK
Seriously... riding off into the desert in Moab to watch the moon rise?! Pffft... whatever ;)
We got to experience that when we ran Hell's Revenge and it was cool as well as the sunset out on the trail. But I can tell you that the last half mile of exit terrain off of Hell's Revenge SUCKS in the dark... lol.

Glad this may be a non issue but do update if you find anything else. One thing to note: This may occur at highway speeds since air can get behind the plastic and push it out if it's not properly attached. If you have a go pro or camera maybe you could mount it.

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
No way. There is no way that engine is getting hot enough to distort that plastic. If that were the case you'd have other serious problems from that much heat under the hood.

OP
OP
Yellow Cake Kid

Yellow Cake Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
It interesting to me that you mentioned wind, as I had thought about wind as a possibility as well.

Over the weekend the wind was blowing hard and steady. The wind here in the springtime can be so strong that we routinely strap our 95 gallon trash container to eye hooks we have mounted on the house to keep the cart from blowing away.

After making note of the wide clearance between the wheel and shield, and the unlikelihood that the tire could ever flex into the shield, it occurred to me that the shield might have moved towards the tire, perhaps while catching a gust of wind.

It's an interesting theory.

Thank you!

Drytellsr

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Its just an inner liner, Do a little Trim job or shape it with a hot blade.